Multiple input screens in same macro?

Discuss macro implementations, ask for macro help (to share your creations, see User Creations, probably either Campaign Frameworks or Drop-in Resources).

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

xavram
Dragon

Multiple input screens in same macro?

Post by xavram »

Is this possible? Have an input screen come up (for example, to roll a To Hit roll), player inputs any modifiers. Then when they click "OK", they roll is displayed to everyone and they are prompted "Did you hit?".

I can make the second input box come up but the display to the chat window doesn't happen until after they've responded to the 2nd input...so since they haven't seen their roll yet, they really don't know how to answer.

I know I saw something about this, about when info is sent to the chat window but I don't remember where or what the answer was...<sheepish grin>

jfrazierjr
Deity

Re: Multiple input screens in same macro?

Post by jfrazierjr »

xavram wrote:Is this possible? Have an input screen come up (for example, to roll a To Hit roll), player inputs any modifiers. Then when they click "OK", they roll is displayed to everyone and they are prompted "Did you hit?".

I can make the second input box come up but the display to the chat window doesn't happen until after they've responded to the 2nd input...so since they haven't seen their roll yet, they really don't know how to answer.

I know I saw something about this, about when info is sent to the chat window but I don't remember where or what the answer was...<sheepish grin>
Output is sent to chat after all the macro commands have been processed (assuming there is no Wiki: abort()() or some such similar broken thing.) Since you calculate the attack roll prior to the second input, why not build a label as part of the input to show the total score... Of course, only the user running the macro would see it until they finish with that input, but since I don't know what you are trying to model, that may be good enough. If not, you will have to deal with defered macro execution using Wiki: macroLinkText()() and Wiki: execLink()()
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

biodude
Dragon

Post by biodude »

As far as I know, nothing goes to chat until macro execution has stopped. The only way to show anything during macro execution is via the Wiki: input() function. I would suggest including the roll (and any other necessary information) in your second prompt.

Alternatively, you could send a Wiki: macroLink() to chat (or only to the player running the macro), that continues on with the rest of the macro actions if the person hit. e.g. output may look like:
Attack Roll: 20
If you hit: click here to apply damage.
(the first line might be visible to all, but perhaps the second part is only visible to the person running the macro ('self').)
"The trouble with communicating is believing you have achieved it"
[ d20 StatBlock Importer ] [ Batch Edit Macros ] [ Canned Speech UI ] [ Lib: Math ]

prestidigitator
Dragon

Post by prestidigitator »

Yeah, you can use either Wiki: input() or a non-deferred Wiki: execLink() to show output before the current macro finishes.
"He knows not how to know who knows not also how to un-know." --Sir Richard Burton

MikeKozar
Cave Troll

Post by MikeKozar »

After lots of kvetching from my players, I had to design a combat macro that could be launched by the attacker and then modified by the defender. Supposedly there is an HTML trick that can do it, but the solution I wound up doing involved saving all the details of the first macro to a JSON of pending attacks on the target, and then having the target's owner run a Defend macro that would load each pending attack and allow them to choose from their defensive options. A giant red target state indicated pending attacks that needed to be resolved.

It's a lot of work to implement, but people seemed to like it.

mfrizzell
Dragon

Post by mfrizzell »

Wow, what system do you use that this would be a solution that is necessary?
DCI/RPGA# 7208328396 Skype ID mfrizzell77
Characters:
Strabor - Dwarf Avenger 5th Level
Tikkanan - Human Warlock 2nd Level
----------------------------------------------------
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."

MikeKozar
Cave Troll

Post by MikeKozar »

Heh. Shadowrun 4th edition.

It's a very granular, simulation-based system with tons of modifiers and bonuses to every roll. You have been shot at. Would you like to active Total Defense, Spend Edge to dodge, buy hits on your dodge roll, apply a non-automatic modifier, roll to soak, spend edge on soak, or cash in dice pool for automatic hits at 4:1?

I tried just having the default procedure run whenever somebody got shot, but nobody likes getting KOd by a lucky hit and not having the option to weasel out of it. They also don't like having to wait while the GM goes through all that noise for every bullet fired, so we now have a framework that can resolve combat in three different ways, with all the bonuses and modifiers automatically passed. The user does not need to remember what they were shot with and how much armor penetration it had, they only need to decide what to do about it.

Fast and easy never makes the game less fun.

Raoden
Dragon

Post by Raoden »

I can see why it would also be a crucial feature in, say, The Riddle of Steel.

My homebrew system has a few times where the defender of an attack has several options of how to defend, too. I'm still trying to figure out if I'll need to do something complicated with sent macroLinks to simulate this in MapTool, or if there's a clever workaround.
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed."
- G. K. Chesterton

Wonderful HTML/CSS reference * Color Manager * Token Manager 2.0

biodude
Dragon

Post by biodude »

MikeKozar wrote:After lots of kvetching from my players, I had to design a combat macro that could be launched by the attacker and then modified by the defender. Supposedly there is an HTML trick that can do it, but the solution I wound up doing involved saving all the details of the first macro to a JSON of pending attacks on the target, and then having the target's owner run a Defend macro that would load each pending attack and allow them to choose from their defensive options. A giant red target state indicated pending attacks that needed to be resolved.

It's a lot of work to implement, but people seemed to like it.
You might want to check around in the forums for discussions regarding "triggering a dialog on another user's MapTool". You might be able to have a macroLink sent to the owner of a targetted token (or the GM as default), that prompts for defensive action immediately, rather than having to manually "defend" against pending attacks. Just a thought, but if you're happy with what you have, then by all means: Game ON!
"The trouble with communicating is believing you have achieved it"
[ d20 StatBlock Importer ] [ Batch Edit Macros ] [ Canned Speech UI ] [ Lib: Math ]

prestidigitator
Dragon

Post by prestidigitator »

Yeah, I posted an example of sending macroLinks around for inputs on different machines yesterday, I believe. It should be somewhere around here.
"He knows not how to know who knows not also how to un-know." --Sir Richard Burton

Return to “Macros”