1.3b76 - Word Wrap Toggle in Macro Window

If you have an idea for a new feature, please discuss it in the main MapTool forum first, then post a summary of the discussion here. Use the first Sticky as a template.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

JonathanTheBlack
Dragon

1.3b76 - Word Wrap Toggle in Macro Window

Post by JonathanTheBlack »

I would love to be able to toggle word wrap off and on in the macro editor window. There are times where it's much, much easier to see the flow of the macro with word wrap off and I would rather work wholly within maptool than to use outside programs.

RPTroll
TheBard

Re: 1.3b76 - Word Wrap Toggle in Macro Window

Post by RPTroll »

I would love to be able to configure a macro editor outside MT, like GVIM, to function as the default editor. Upon save in the outside editor the macro would be saved as well.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

JonathanTheBlack wrote:I would love to be able to toggle word wrap off and on in the macro editor window. There are times where it's much, much easier to see the flow of the macro with word wrap off and I would rather work wholly within maptool than to use outside programs.
So you would rather have a horizontal scrollbar than have the lines wrap within the window? That might not be too tough and if it's a small change I'll do it. We're trying to keep things that require a lot of testing to a minimum right now (except for projects that have already begun, of course).
RPTroll wrote:I would love to be able to configure a macro editor outside MT, like GVIM, to function as the default editor. Upon save in the outside editor the macro would be saved as well.
We'll have some way of doing this in 1.4.

JonathanTheBlack
Dragon

Yes, I just want it to have a horizontal scroll bar. Open up Notepad and turn Word Wrap on and off with a really long line to see how it should work.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

JonathanTheBlack wrote:Yes, I just want it to have a horizontal scroll bar. Open up Notepad and turn Word Wrap on and off with a really long line to see how it should work.
allthough it is a pain to constantly copy paste stuff, I strongly suggest you try to use an external (e.g. notepad++ with Maptool support) editor as much aspossible and get use to it. The internal editor is really just for small and simple checks.

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

And using the macroIO-drop in helps easing the pain of copy-pasting alot.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I'm working on MacroIO to speed up import as well. See if we can knock it down to seconds rather than minutes with large imports (6000 lines).

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

JonathanTheBlack wrote:Yes, I just want it to have a horizontal scroll bar. Open up Notepad and turn Word Wrap on and off with a really long line to see how it should work.
Heh. "All the world is not a Vax." Or in this case, a Windows machine. ;)

But I know what you mean now...

JonathanTheBlack
Dragon

wolph42 wrote:
allthough it is a pain to constantly copy paste stuff, I strongly suggest you try to use an external (e.g. notepad++ with Maptool support) editor as much aspossible and get use to it. The internal editor is really just for small and simple checks.
Uh, how about no? I don't like using an outside editor. I am constantly opening and closing macro windows to do little edits here and there to make sure that each piece I add works instead of coding a whole bunch of stuff and than having to sort through it to find what's wrong.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

JonathanTheBlack wrote:
wolph42 wrote:
Uh, how about no? I don't like using an outside editor. I am constantly opening and closing macro windows to do little edits here and there to make sure that each piece I add works instead of coding a whole bunch of stuff and than having to sort through it to find what's wrong.
granted... that's about exactly how I started working with macros in MT. After a while you get more confident in larger bulk coding, or more over, you start coding something bigger from scratch, that's about the point that stuff like 'undo' not working is getting to you. So you start asking on the forum what the plans are for the MT editor and people pretty much say you should switch to an external editor, so after a whle you switch to notepad... a while after that you notice that there are much better editors out there so you switch to notepad2. Then after about a year and a complete framework later you pick up that there is language support for Maptool script in notepad++ (and that it's functionality is waaay better than notepad2) so you switch to that. Then yet another one month later you read a post of someone asking for some improvements in the current MT editor... I just thought he lets point to the short-cut. :wink: :mrgreen:

JonathanTheBlack
Dragon

I know all about external editors and the custom language files for them. I choose not to use them because coding inside MapTool is easier and faster for me. It also makes debugging much easier for me since I code a small snippet at a time and test it multiple times with different methods to find the one I like best. Having a word wrap toggle would just make the code look nicer for tracing nested statements.

It's the only thing I miss from a txt editor.

Doc_Waldo
Giant

Post by Doc_Waldo »

Does anyone know of a editor for the mac that will work with maptools coding tools?....Besides Vim.
--DOC

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

You could probably use jEdit. I don't know if anyone has the syntax highlighting made for it, but you could probably use the names and such from aliasmask's thread for his notepad++ version to make one.

Doc_Waldo
Giant

Post by Doc_Waldo »

Thanks. I will not sure how I would add the syntax however. I am coming to realize the world of coding is much different.
--DOC

femanon
Cave Troll

Post by femanon »

Currently I'm wondering if this can be done in some way
I'm trying to make a macro that fills the rest of the unused space in a line with ♦s Problem is I'm not quite sure how to do this without screwing up the look on everyone else's screens.

Return to “Feature Requests”