My token don't into the fog area

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Aspid
Kobold

My token don't into the fog area

Post by Aspid »

I opened the Maptool as default and I can't move to the fog area (as a player) and (as a GM) the token didn't discover the area when I moved it.

I connected to a friend online and he created a square of fog and I can't come in or discover the area.

The funny thing is that I open a campain that I have created and It doesn'y happen, but it should be otherway, default should work and the edit campain doesn't.

Also I open this campain and started a server as a player and I can go into the black area (fog area), but I don't know if it is because I have GM permition or not.

I dont know if this is a bug or what.

My fried said that maybe is this way,

I'm using the last version.

patoace
Dragon

Re: My token don't into the fog area

Post by patoace »

Hola Aspid

Tal vez puedas explicar mejor lo ocurrido en español, y yo pueda ayudarte

Saludos

PAS

Iruya
Kobold

Post by Iruya »

Yo te lo puedo explicar Aspid es uno d emis jugadores y tenemos una problema con a niebla de guerra.

El caso es que los tokes de jugadores no puedes atravesarla, hemos remirado las opciones de tokens y preferencias de la campaña y nada.

Mas en concreto pueden atravesarlas pero no borran la niebla, ni dejan la niebla blanda, la oculta los token pero muestra el fondo.

Gracias de antemano, tengo una campaña oficial completa con sus encuentrso listos y la niebla me vendria muy pero que muy bien para los dungeons.

Un saludo.

patoace
Dragon

Post by patoace »

Hola Iruya

Lo primero sería saber con qué versión están jugando, porque la niebla de guerra ha sufrido algunos cambios en las más recientes. Lo segundo sería saber si la opción Mapa>>Visión está configurado como Inactivo, Día o Noche. Por la situación que describes parece que la visión está asignada como "noche" porque en ese caso el jugador pierde de vista su ficha bajo la niebla blanda, a menos que haya una fuente de luz cercana.

Para evitar esa situación, lo mejor es, en las propiedades de campaña asignar a la visión "Normal" que esla que tienen las fichas por defecto, el valor "Normal: circle r1", de modo que siempre vean al menos su ficha bajo la niebla blanda.

Por otro lado, ¿de dónde es tu grupo?

Aspid
Kobold

Post by Aspid »

Hola, estamos utilizando la última versión como puse en el plimer post, por lo cual eso significa que tenemos la 1.3b77 del 8 de diciembre. El problema creo que puede residir en que como siempre probabamos las cosas como master pensabamos que se podía colocar una niebla negra completamente a través de la cual no se pudiese ver, de tal modo no sabrías por donde siguen los caminos, pero por lo que he seguido probando y viendo, la utilidad de la niebla de guerra es tapar las partes dondo no hay mapa y que simplemente las otras partes del mapa de vean con una capa negra a 50% de opacidad digamos (más oscuras que las que tenemos iluminadas) de tal manera que anuque sepas la forma de la madmorra no sepas que hay en cada sitio.

PD: somos de españa, canarias

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

have you tried ctrl+i or ctrl+p (reveal fog). Its correct hat you can't move into fog as a player (as you don't know what is there). And you won't reveal anything as GM as you're usually moving npc's around. Note that to reveal the fog the token must be set to PC (not NPC).
The rest is as patoace said, check vision settings of the token and it indeed helps to set 'night vision' of a token, not to 1 but to 0,5 in the settings:

Code: Select all

Normal: circle r0,5 
This will exactly reveal a token in a cell without revealing the surrounding cells. Obviously you can also equip a token with a light source (right mouse click on token)
Hope this helps

LordAshes
Giant

Post by LordAshes »

This is, as far as I can tell, intentional. You can not move a Token into fog. You can move a token next to the fog and either have the GM manually reveal it or if your Auto Expose is on then it will automatically expose the fog. Then you can move into the exposed fog area, and so on.

I believe that this is actually intentional because it can be used to prevent characters from walking through walls.

For example, you create a building, place fog on it and set up VBL on the walls. The characters can walk around the building revealing the fog but because of the VBL the fog inside the buildign will not be exposed even if the charcter stands right beside the wall. This also means that the character can not move through the wall into the building.

Only if the GM removes the VBL (on the door for example) will the fog expose inside the building allowing the character to move in.
"We often compare ourselves to the U.S.,
and often they come out the best...
But they only have the right to bare arms,
while we have the right to bare breasts"
Busting The Breast by Bowser & Blue

Aspid
Kobold

Post by Aspid »

LordAshes wrote:This is, as far as I can tell, intentional. You can not move a Token into fog. You can move a token next to the fog and either have the GM manually reveal it or if your Auto Expose is on then it will automatically expose the fog. Then you can move into the exposed fog area, and so on.
the auto exposure is on, and when we tried to move the token as a player into the fog, we just could move it to the nearest square, and then the fog has not reveled.
LordAshes wrote:I believe that this is actually intentional because it can be used to prevent characters from walking through walls.
that's possibly rigth
LordAshes wrote:For example, you create a building, place fog on it and set up VBL on the walls. The characters can walk around the building revealing the fog but because of the VBL the fog inside the buildign will not be exposed even if the charcter stands right beside the wall. This also means that the character can not move through the wall into the building.
we are not using the VBL here, I know this is an exaple, i told that just to clarify my case.
LordAshes wrote:Only if the GM removes the VBL (on the door for example) will the fog expose inside the building allowing the character to move in.
the same as I wrote up

Thx for your help

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

LordAshes wrote:This is, as far as I can tell, intentional. You can not move a Token into fog. You can move a token next to the fog and either have the GM manually reveal it or if your Auto Expose is on then it will automatically expose the fog. Then you can move into the exposed fog area, and so on.

I believe that this is actually intentional because it can be used to prevent characters from walking through walls.

For example, you create a building, place fog on it and set up VBL on the walls. The characters can walk around the building revealing the fog but because of the VBL the fog inside the buildign will not be exposed even if the charcter stands right beside the wall. This also means that the character can not move through the wall into the building.

Only if the GM removes the VBL (on the door for example) will the fog expose inside the building allowing the character to move in.
Sort of. You may move your token(as a player) into any area which has been revealed (ie, is in soft FOW). This means you could in theory "jump" over an area of VBL. The VBL has nothing to do with the way the move works outside of how it interacts with FOW.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

LordAshes
Giant

Post by LordAshes »

Aspid wrote: the auto exposure is on, and when we tried to move the token as a player into the fog, we just could move it to the nearest square, and then the fog has not reveled.

Is the token Snap To Grid turned on? Apparently you need to have the Token Snap To Grid turned on in the preferences in order to Auto Expose. Also check that Auto Expose is turned on when you start the server.

If this is all done correctly then the FOG should disppear (get exposed) when you are adjacent to it and thus allow you to move further. The CTRL+I is a manual expose which can be used if Auto Expose is not on.

It is also sometimes needed in cases where the GM makes changes to the FOG/VBL. For example, if the GM removes some VBL to simulate the characters opening a door, the GM needs to select all characters and use CTRL+I to have their view updated.
"We often compare ourselves to the U.S.,
and often they come out the best...
But they only have the right to bare arms,
while we have the right to bare breasts"
Busting The Breast by Bowser & Blue

Return to “MapTool”