Rumble's 4E Framework, Version 5 - Discussion

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Rumble
Deity

Re: Rumble's 4E Framework, Version 5 - Discussion

Post by Rumble »

Ah, got it - each of your PC tokens has an extra space at the end of their names - so "Bronto Thunder" is not the same as "Bronto Thunder ", and the framework loses its mind.

It's fixable with some code, but the easiest fix for you is to trim the extra space. It probably got in there during import or something.

algnc
Cave Troll

Post by algnc »

Rumble wrote:Ah, got it - each of your PC tokens has an extra space at the end of their names - so "Bronto Thunder" is not the same as "Bronto Thunder ", and the framework loses its mind.

It's fixable with some code, but the easiest fix for you is to trim the extra space. It probably got in there during import or something.
what the hell :oops: I thought I checked this.

Thanks Rumble!!

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

algnc wrote:
Rumble wrote:Ah, got it - each of your PC tokens has an extra space at the end of their names - so "Bronto Thunder" is not the same as "Bronto Thunder ", and the framework loses its mind.

what the hell :oops: I thought I checked this.

Thanks Rumble!!
No problem - it's really something I ought to fix on my end, to be honest, I just never wanted to go through and hunt down the places to update.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Anyone out there running an Essentials Fighter with any tips?

Kind of neat turn of events in my game has left Bahamut dead - the players had a chance to save the platinum dragon, or continue their pursuit of the BBEG who is in line to get access to a vault that would make him more powerful than the pantheon of gods. As a side affect, the Paladin is now without the deity that granted his power, so we agreed to roll him up as an Essentials fighter for the duration.

heathan666
Giant

Post by heathan666 »

Rumble I wanted to check out your FW and see if I liked it...however I ran into a snag while following your directions....it seems that well...there's no cmpn file in the zip. If you can help me out bro, its been awhile sense I played around on Maptools and was looking to get back into it.

Nevermind, I figured out the problem...deedadee.
"Nat 20 man, reroll a plate wearer next time."
Kugan - "All bless the god KA-CHING!"

Colmarr
Cave Troll

Post by Colmarr »

A few quick questions:

1. Am I right in understanding that the framework doesn't support "(save ends both)" conditions (ie. one saving throw ends both dazed and slowed)?

2. Am I right in understanding that it doesn't automate death saving throws? It seems to skip them entirely.

3. Am I right that it doesn't handle powers that recharge when a creature is first bloodied (like Dragon Breath?)

4. Am I right that it doesn't/can't automate close blasts (ie. you need to manually select targets?

Regardless of the answers, top notch work. I can't wait to start my campaign!

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Colmarr wrote:A few quick questions:

1. Am I right in understanding that the framework doesn't support "(save ends both)" conditions (ie. one saving throw ends both dazed and slowed)?

2. Am I right in understanding that it doesn't automate death saving throws? It seems to skip them entirely.

3. Am I right that it doesn't handle powers that recharge when a creature is first bloodied (like Dragon Breath?)

4. Am I right that it doesn't/can't automate close blasts (ie. you need to manually select targets?

Regardless of the answers, top notch work. I can't wait to start my campaign!
You are correct in all cases.

Colmarr
Cave Troll

Post by Colmarr »

Another quick one then:

An effect applied to a target "until the end of your next turn" seems to end when the player clicks 'End turn' (ie the end of their current turn, not the end of their next turn).

Is that correct or have I stuffed it up somehow? It seems to work correctly if you use the GM Utility "Next initiative" instead.

Colmarr
Cave Troll

Post by Colmarr »

Rumble wrote:You are correct in all cases.
Actually, I wasn't.

The framework does handle save ends both/all by prompting for saves one by one.

For example, if a PC is affected by dazed, slowed and ongoing fire 5, the prompt says "Save against which?"

If you tick all three, then one roll is applied to all three conditions.

If you tick only dazed and slowed, then one roll is made for them and you get a separate prompt for ongoing fire 5. The prompt even informs you of the outcome of the save against the other 2.

Bravo good man!

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Haha, I guess you're right! I was thinking in terms of "does it group conditions together," which it doesn't, but in fact you can save against multiple conditions as a unit.

Colmarr
Cave Troll

Post by Colmarr »

Any idea how I would edit the framework to reflect Brutal Scoundrel? The striker damage macros allow for sneak attack and include 2d6, but I can't find a way to make it 2d6 + Str (or even 2d6 + 3).

Or to reflect Light Blade Expertise? +1 to attack with light weapons (easy - adjust the misc modifiers on the weapon itself) and +1 damage when you have combat advantage (harder - I can't figure out how to do this).

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

If I recall, there's not an easy way to do it, really. For the light blade expertise, the obvious solution is just to remember to add an additional +1 bonus to damage when you have Combat Advantage - that can all be set up in the targeting dialog (though it is a pain to remember). You could add code to the combat processing macros (PostProcessor, specifically) that would check to see if the feat Light Blade Expertise was there, and if so, check to see if you checked Combat Advantage, and then add the bonus. It would look something like (I'm doing this without opening the framework, so hopefully I get the variables right, but you'll get the gist of it regardless):

Code: Select all

[h:localFeatList = json.fields(Feats)]
[h,if(listFind(localFeatList, "Light Blade Expertise") != -1 && thisTargetCA == 1): thisTargetDmgMod = thisTargetDmgMod + 1]
or something to that effect (again, the variable names could be wrong). That would code in the feat. Feats, of course, are a big ol' pain because they're all exceptions, which is why this framework only handles a couple before I said "Whoa, too big."

Brutal Scoundrel could likewise be worked into the code in some fashion; there is a macro that figures out what the sneak attack damage is and you could again check for some property and then adjust the damage accordingly. One simple way to go about it is to add in the strength bonus damage manually in the targeting screen, when you know Brutal Scoundrel will come into effect (again, not the most intuitive solution, but easier than altering the code).

EDIT: Oh, wait! I forgot something - you could manually update the property StrikerDamageDice on the token to read 2d6+Str. This would pull in that value when you used Sneak Attack. The only issue with that was anytime you edited the token, you might have to re-do that change afterwards, since that's not one of the available options in the character editor. But, it would skip any coding in the sneak attack damage macros.

A final option would be to edit the macro CharacterEdit-Basics on the token Lib:Char4e. Right up at the top you'll see a list of striker damage dice. Just stick "2d6+Str" into the list (and any other options you'd like) and then it will be available from the Character Editing panel.

DrnkBstrd
Kobold

Post by DrnkBstrd »

Hello I am new to MapTools and 4th edition D&D. Forums seem a friendly helpful group so I'll try here. Looking for any friendly users to help me get started, and I figured to go strait to the source.

I really enjoy the work done to create this framework and am trying to learn to navigate Maptools with it. I am creating new PC chars and am having some minor difficulties here and there. By minor I'm saying I probably just don't understand more than anything. I'm having difficulties figuring how Armor is applied, I've tried as a weapon and/or as an implement and have also tried by Char. Builder but am not seeing it applied. Any help would be great, mind you I am just learning and still haven't completly figured how to fully utilize or implement Macros.

Edwin
Kobold

Post by Edwin »

Hey Rumble,

Thank you for creating and maintaining this even after the fact.

I noticed something interesting. I am in the process of importing a bunch of undead NPCs and when I import RTF from the offline monster builder, it changes the vulnerable radiant 10 to a resistance of 10 radiant. I am using 5.1.2 of your framework and 1.3b86 of MapTools.

Thanks!

Colmarr
Cave Troll

Post by Colmarr »

Rumble wrote:EDIT: Oh, wait! I forgot something - you could manually update the property StrikerDamageDice on the token to read 2d6+Str. This would pull in that value when you used Sneak Attack. The only issue with that was anytime you edited the token, you might have to re-do that change afterwards, since that's not one of the available options in the character editor. But, it would skip any coding in the sneak attack damage macros.
I figured that would be the way, but consider me a noob. How do I actually get at that code? If I go through the UI I can't get to the token code, and opening the token file in notepad just gets me gibberish.

Edit: Nevermind. Figured it out :) Thanks
Rumble wrote:If I recall, there's not an easy way to do it, really. For the light blade expertise, the obvious solution is just to remember to add an additional +1 bonus to damage when you have Combat Advantage - that can all be set up in the targeting dialog (though it is a pain to remember).
Is there anything local on a token that gives CA its value? (I imagine there must at the very least be some code that says "if CA ticked, offer striker choice") If so, could we edit that to automatically add +1 damage when you tick the CA box?

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”