Rumble's 4E Framework, Version 5 - Discussion

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Colmarr
Cave Troll

Re: Rumble's 4E Framework, Version 5 - Discussion

Post by Colmarr »

Rumble wrote:On the second, I would simply create two daily powers - Virtue's Touch 1 and Virtue's Touch 2. Since I don't recall any mechanism of granting save bonuses to each other, it would just be a tracking thing, but then they'd recharge properly and so forth.
Excellent thinking. Thanks

Colmarr
Cave Troll

Post by Colmarr »

I just tried to run a session as GM for some friends, and everything was taking 12+ seconds to happen.

Any idea what sort of system resources and download/upload speeds I need from the framework to run smoothly?

Kryx
Cave Troll

Post by Kryx »

Colmarr wrote:I just tried to run a session as GM for some friends, and everything was taking 12+ seconds to happen.

Any idea what sort of system resources and download/upload speeds I need from the framework to run smoothly?
I saw some of the lag issues - much less, but that is why I am considering Slim. Rumble makes it as well. http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15488. Overall the GUI is awesome - MUCH better. The powers are easier to edit. The downside is that conditions, while tracked, are not automatically applied. For instance ongoing 5 will be tracked and you can figure out when to apply it easily, but it won't do it automatically.

I had a few errors and bugs that I reported and that Rumble is fixing - After that I'm pretty confident I'll be switching to Slim.

Deadolus
Giant

Post by Deadolus »

Colmarr wrote:I just tried to run a session as GM for some friends, and everything was taking 12+ seconds to happen.

Check how big your tokens are by saving them to a file. Any bigger than 50Kb (like if you have large portrait graphics as part of the tokens), and you will get slowness on slow network pipes (speaking from experience). This is assuming some of your players were remote (WAN vs. LAN).

At least that is one possible cause for the slowness. I'd need more information on what was happening, how many tokens were at play, what types of powers you were using, info on where all your players are on the network, their connections speeds, your (ther server's connection speed, what those players were doing, etc.; to be of any more help (assuming I have helped at all).

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

As fast as possible, for everything, really. That's the achilles heel of this framework: it's slow. It's grown to the point where a lot is going on, including a number of changes to the tokens that require the token to be sent over the network every time (that's actually part of MapTool - it sends the entire token every time it changes, so if a framework has lots of little changes, that's a lot of traffic before everything is done).

That was the motivation behind the "slim" framework (it doesn't have another name, so everyone just calls it Slim). I resisted the urge to add automation, but it still slid in there (targeting, etc - in its original incarnation, it didn't have any targeting or anything). Note that condition tracking isn't really full-auto. It's basically a management panel that reminds you that conditions should probably expire (but it doesn't know precisely when, just whether it's the right round to look at it).

Colmarr
Cave Troll

Post by Colmarr »

Thanks for all the hard work on this Rumble.

It's an amazing piece of work.

Deadolus
Giant

Post by Deadolus »

Rumble wrote:Version 5.1.3 is now available. Thank you all.

Fixes in 5.1.3
  • Power button text for at-wills and other green buttons is now white, so it can be read.
  • Display of NPC Hit, Miss, and Effect information to players is now an option in framework configuration.
  • Tweaks to parser/importer should correct weird issues with monster skills getting the wrong values.
  • Attack bonus/penalty condition now more clearly labeled in power editing
Love it! Thank you.

Gubler231
Kobold

Post by Gubler231 »

Found a couple bugs.
The vision for darkvision doesnt seem to work with this framework.

and

When a token has a Damagebonus buff, that damage is being applied to attacks that are set to 'does not deal damage', the damage box says no damage. IE, if I make a power to only apply a debuff to a target and I currently have a Damagebonus buff from another effect, I set the debuff power to deal no damage. When I use it, it deals damage equal to the damagebonus buff bonus instead of zero.

Kryx
Cave Troll

Post by Kryx »

Gubler231 wrote:The vision for darkvision doesnt seem to work with this framework.
Works perfectly for me. Give the unit dark vision(right click edit the token - in the config tab), set the mode to night time(Map -> Vision -> night). make sure fog of war is on. Done.

Colmarr
Cave Troll

Post by Colmarr »

I'm trying to build a knight for a friend in 5.1.3.

How exactly do I build the stances?

For example, Poised assault:
You assume the poised assault stance. Until the stance ends, you gain a +1 power bonus to the attack rolls of basic attacks using a weapon.
For this particular character, EVERY attack is a basic attack using a weapon, so I'm really only looking for a standard +1 attack modifier.

I've tried setting it up as a personal power that adds a +1 attack bonus condition to the Knight. Activating another stance ends the Poised Assault stance but doesn't remove the +1 condition. Is there an easier way to deal with it than using 'manage conditions' every time?

Kryx
Cave Troll

Post by Kryx »

Colmarr wrote:I've tried setting it up as a personal power that adds a +1 attack bonus condition to the Knight. Activating another stance ends the Poised Assault stance but doesn't remove the +1 condition. Is there an easier way to deal with it than using 'manage conditions' every time?
This is probably your solution. I was about to suggest it, but you said it. either that or add +1 to every attack manually.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Kryx wrote:
Colmarr wrote:I've tried setting it up as a personal power that adds a +1 attack bonus condition to the Knight. Activating another stance ends the Poised Assault stance but doesn't remove the +1 condition. Is there an easier way to deal with it than using 'manage conditions' every time?
This is probably your solution. I was about to suggest it, but you said it. either that or add +1 to every attack manually.
Is there an easy way to setup a generic "apply condition" macro? I was thinking about that the other night when it came to a monster I had trouble importing from the compendium that had essentially the same attack values/damage but the various powers were condition options. Would've been easier to just create one attack and then use a quick apply condition button for the things that came up frequently if there were a way... even if it was manually editing some code, I wouldn't mind. I think that way, anyway. :)

Zereth
Kobold

Post by Zereth »

I am attempting to start a D&D game, and just got this framework, and while attempting to import a PC I am receiving this error:

Invalid condition in IF(!json.contains(ftnm)) roll option.
      Statement options (if any): if(!json.contains(ftnm))
      Statement Body : revFeats = json.set(revFeats, ftnm, newFeat)

Does anyone have advice? :?:

Kryx
Cave Troll

Post by Kryx »

Zereth wrote:I am attempting to start a D&D game, and just got this framework, and while attempting to import a PC I am receiving this error:

Invalid condition in IF(!json.contains(ftnm)) roll option.
      Statement options (if any): if(!json.contains(ftnm))
      Statement Body : revFeats = json.set(revFeats, ftnm, newFeat)

Does anyone have advice? :?:
How are you importing the character? Are you using the Wizards summary? Make sure it has the full text of it - including the first line of characters.

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”