Token states [AidyBaby] Tutorial

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

plothos
Great Wyrm

Re: Token states [AidyBaby] Tutorial

Post by plothos »

Craig wrote:You might want to try experimenting with
Plasti-Wrap or
Polsihed Plastic
plugins to see if they can give you a nice shiny effect easily.
I wasn't able to get much out of Polished Plastic, but after much fiddling, I got something kinda slick out of Plasti-Wrap. Now, since I kept fiddling and made it worse, I have to retrace my steps and figure out how I did it. :)

(Btw, to get plasti-wrap to work this way, I had to merge the beveled and satined image; without satining, it looks terrible)

I'm including the un-plastic-ed version too, since it's new. :D

Cowering, satin:Image

Cowering, satin & plasti-wrap:Image

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Of course, now that I know how to do this - there aren't any states I need! AidyBaby did 'em all.

Here's a couple for practice:

Last edited by Rumble on Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Thanks for the GIMP tutorial! Much appreciated.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

RPTroll wrote:Thanks for the GIMP tutorial! Much appreciated.
Sure!

One other thing I noticed (kind of more like "discovered," since I'm fairly weak on layer masking and such skills) - once you have a nice satin texture you like, you can simply fill the Color Overlay and Satin Layers (not the layer masks, but the layers themselves) with various colors to alter the overall look.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Rumble wrote:
RPTroll wrote:Thanks for the GIMP tutorial! Much appreciated.
Sure!

One other thing I noticed (kind of more like "discovered," since I'm fairly weak on layer masking and such skills) - once you have a nice satin texture you like, you can simply fill the Color Overlay and Satin Layers (not the layer masks, but the layers themselves) with various colors to alter the overall look.
Rumble, if you want to get up to speed on layer masks, I did a tutorial over at the CartographersGuild. The main part of the tutorial is in several short videos (60 seconds or less with no sound) along with accompanying textual descriptions of whats happening in the video.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Oh... and this would make an EXCELLENT thing to script up using script-fu to automate as much it as possible. Nice work.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

jfrazierjr wrote:Oh... and this would make an EXCELLENT thing to script up using script-fu to automate as much it as possible. Nice work.
Layer Effects is already Script-Fu; I suppose you could automate the process from one Layer Effect to the next, but mostly it is automatic!

Oh, and I'll definitely check out those tutorials. I know what masks do, but I have trouble getting my head around how to apply them.

MarvelMaster
Kobold

Post by MarvelMaster »

Man. I am lost because I can't get this to work in GIMP 2.6 for the life of me. Two things that I'm having a problem with is:

1. How to create the black square. I'm assuming you use the Rectangle Select Tool to to draw a 400x400 selection. It's at this point I get stumped as far as how to make it black. Do I just use the Bucket Fill Tool to make it black or is there another way? I notice when I use the Bucket that the grid lines are not over the black box.

2. When I go to use the Script Fu Bevel and Emboss settings, after I complete the process, it has the menu grayed out. Does the same thing for Satin.

3. How do you insert the image for the state to merge with the state template I'm making?

FYI- That Plastic-Wrap Script Fu is no longer available at that location. You can find it here:

Plastic Wrap Script Fu

I'm a noob to the core here so I need kid gloves when it comes to this kind of thing. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Last edited by MarvelMaster on Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marvel Master
Classic Marvel Superheroes RPG
Evolution of a Hero

AidyBaby
Dragon

Post by AidyBaby »

Sorry, I can't help with Gimp, I'll leave that to the other gimpsters here.

-- AidyBaby --
D&D qualities are related inversely to those of Poker... and I love both.
http://www.yorkpoker.co.uk

MarvelMaster
Kobold

Post by MarvelMaster »

AidyBaby wrote:Sorry, I can't help with Gimp, I'll leave that to the other gimpsters here.

-- AidyBaby --
Bah! What good are ya? :P

Thanks for replying any way.
Marvel Master
Classic Marvel Superheroes RPG
Evolution of a Hero

Malekith
Giant

Post by Malekith »

Thread necro i know, please don't shoot me! - It's better than a new thread >.<

Aidybaby, how did you do the jagged circles for the ongoing states?

Cheers,

Mal
Mal

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Here's what I use. There are 2 scripts. The first one creates the "button" which is just a rounded square. This is accessed under File | Create | Blank Token. The second script is button creator. I changes all the opaque to the specified color with bevel and highlighting and a satin screen for a pattern. This is accessed under Filters | Decor | Satin Gloss. Just copy the files in to your Documents and Settings gimp scripts folder. For example my folder is here:

Code: Select all

D:\Documents and Settings\Chris\.gimp-2.6\scripts
I don't recall where I got these files, otherwise I would site the source.
Attachments
Gimp scripts.zip
(4.66 KiB) Downloaded 74 times

Malekith
Giant

Post by Malekith »

cheers for the reply AM, but I'm using PS (or possibly Paint.NET).
Will definitely use them if I ever try my hand at Gimp tho. :D

Mal
Mal

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I use PSP, but I use gimp for some of it's filters then export it as a psd (since it doesn't do pspimage). It's free, and I like making my own token states :D

AidyBaby
Dragon

Post by AidyBaby »

Malekith wrote:Thread necro i know, please don't shoot me! - It's better than a new thread >.<

Aidybaby, how did you do the jagged circles for the ongoing states?

Cheers,

Mal
Here's a .psd of one of those states. Hopefully you will be able to reverse engineer it.
Ongoing (necrotic).zip
(25.83 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
Regards,

-- AidyBaby --
D&D qualities are related inversely to those of Poker... and I love both.
http://www.yorkpoker.co.uk

Return to “User Creations”