Rumble's 4E Framework, Version 5 - Discussion

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Rumble
Deity

Re: Rumble's 4E Framework, Version 5 - Discussion

Post by Rumble »

Vhex wrote:Hey Rumble,

The icons you use for the tokens, are those your own creation? I'm curious because I'm adding another library and wanted to mimic the look of the icons.
Yeah...I made them using GIMP and couple plugins made by RobA over at Cartographer's guild (specifically, one of them makes the rounded-corner token and one of them does the satin-y bevel look). The icons for some of them (like the magnifying glass or the hourglass, for instance) are from the MySiteMyWay icon sets - if you're not familiar with it, Google it and it should be the first link. It's a bunch of free icons in different themes.

If you look in the main user creations forum, there is a thread somewhere on AidyBaby's states, and in there discussion about how to get the GIMP plugins and make similar tokens.

Vhex
Giant

Post by Vhex »

Thanks Rumble! You're cool with me mimicking the look?

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Vhex wrote:Thanks Rumble! You're cool with me mimicking the look?
Heh, sure. I didn't invent it!

hyro
Kobold

Post by hyro »

I'm not sure if this has been asked before. Its quite obvious... but after I've hit F9 and saved a creature, a portrait of it with stats appears in the bottom left which is viewable by the players. How do I turn this stat/portrait view off for them?

kyuss11
Giant

Post by kyuss11 »

When you hover over the portrait,what info does it show?There is one glitch to this who sees what.The framework or Maptools for this matter doesn't distinguish between Pc and Npc so whatever you make visible under campaign properties it will do both,For example at one point my players wanted to see the health of their comrades in order to make decisions on heals,however that meant they saw the enemies as well.."Not going to happen"I on the other hand wanted the players to see the creature portrait,so I changed the misc.notes and conditions to show for both.That way all I had to do was add ... for the notes just to get the picture to pop,then when the creature got rid of its conditions it would still be visible.To answer your question though,if you get rid of all the * symbols next to the list in campaign properties under Token4e that should make it so you don't see a sheet,make sure you keep @ or you won't see nothing when you hover including players.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

kyuss11 wrote:When you hover over the portrait,what info does it show?There is one glitch to this who sees what.The framework or Maptools for this matter doesn't distinguish between Pc and Npc so whatever you make visible under campaign properties it will do both,For example at one point my players wanted to see the health of their comrades in order to make decisions on heals,however that meant they saw the enemies as well.."Not going to happen"I on the other hand wanted the players to see the creature portrait,so I changed the misc.notes and conditions to show for both.That way all I had to do was add ... for the notes just to get the picture to pop,then when the creature got rid of its conditions it would still be visible.To answer your question though,if you get rid of all the * symbols next to the list in campaign properties under Token4e that should make it so you don't see a sheet,make sure you keep @ or you won't see nothing when you hover including players.

That's not quite true - you can more finely adjust what shows and what does not, but it's based on ownership - you can show details to owners only, or to GM only, or to everyone. However, kyuss11 is right that the distinction is not based on PC / NPC. Basically, an * means it shows on the sheet. An # means that it's only visible to the GM; a @ means it's only visible to the owner of the token - there's a quick cheatsheet in the Campaign Properties window. One way to solve the "leaders needs to see everyone's hit points" is to just let all the players own each other's tokens. Note that you can also set the bars to have visibility only to owners or the GM also.

I don't remember how I configured it, but generally I favored more information available to everyone than less. I always played and ran the game open, with very few mechanical details kept hidden (so ACs and such were generally known or, if they weren't known, were easy enough to figure out).

Colmarr
Cave Troll

Post by Colmarr »

Rumble wrote:Note that you can also set the bars to have visibility only to owners or the GM also.
I set health bars as visible to all. It lets the players know how wounded each other are, and also gives them some idea of how badly wounded the bad guys are. The latter theoretically bothers me, but practically it prevents an awful lot of "How badly wounded does orc A look compared to orc B?" questions that I would probably answer anyway.

So far, the health bars % have not been precise enough to let the players reverse engineer exact numbers, even at level 1. And their ability to do so will lessen as hp rise.

Otherwise, I think Rumble has the right of it. Give the players ownership of each others' tokens. Not only can they then see each other's hp etc, it will also allow them to step in when someone goes AFK.

hyro
Kobold

Post by hyro »

Are the heath bars linked to the HP. So if something takes damage, the bars automatically adjust?

Colmarr
Cave Troll

Post by Colmarr »

hyro wrote:Are the heath bars linked to the HP. So if something takes damage, the bars automatically adjust?
Yes.

hyro
Kobold

Post by hyro »

With the character power import it seems to only paste in the chat field a summary of what the action is without rolls. Is this intentional and do i need to edit each power macro to /roll + stat?

Is there something in the framework that after the attack is succesfull the health of the creature has the damage subtracted?

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

hyro wrote:With the character power import it seems to only paste in the chat field a summary of what the action is without rolls. Is this intentional and do i need to edit each power macro to /roll + stat?

Is there something in the framework that after the attack is succesfull the health of the creature has the damage subtracted?
You'll have to give more detail on what you're doing and what you're seeing. When you import a power, it sets up the power on the token to be executed. You will have to select targets in order to see dice rolls - so, you launch the power, then select targets (they will appear in the power dialog), and then hit "Attack." It processes the attack against the targets, deducts any HP, and applies conditions and so forth.

If that's not happening, you'll have to explain the steps you're taking.

hyro
Kobold

Post by hyro »

You have done some fantastic work with the framework so far. Unfortunatly i cant get to my desktop for another 6 hours so ill have to work though editing each power manually.

After a straight import from pdf power card or compendium i would never get the oppertunity to choose who i was attacking from the macro dialog that pops up after pressing the button

Colmarr
Cave Troll

Post by Colmarr »

hyro wrote:With the character power import it seems to only paste in the chat field a summary of what the action is without rolls.
As Rumble says, you'll need to provide more info.

Specifically, how and what are you importing? If you're importing from a pdf character sheet, is it from the old (offline) builder or the new (online) builder, and are you copying all of the text (including the Range, target, attack vs defence boxes at the top of the power card) or just the written words towards the bottom?

Colmarr
Cave Troll

Post by Colmarr »

hyro wrote:After a straight import from pdf power card or compendium i would never get the oppertunity to choose who i was attacking from the macro dialog that pops up after pressing the button
Most strange.

What is supposed to happen is that you push the macro button (eg. Tide of Iron) and a new window opens up. At the top of that window it will have a summary of the power. Further down it will have a lot of options such as "I am charging", "This power allows me to attack twice and take the ___ roll" etc.

In between, there is a little bit of what begins as blank space. If you click on a target token (eg. Orc 1) before hitting the "Attack" button at the bottom of the window, Orc 1 should now appear in that blank space, signifying that it has been selected as a target for the attack.

Is that not happening for you?

hyro
Kobold

Post by hyro »

One DM to another, could you check over my campaign file for me? http://www.mediafire.com/?lsqxidq39xr9668

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”