Unable to start a server

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
firulillo
Kobold

Unable to start a server

Post by firulillo »

Hello,
everything on maptool worked well since yesterday: I tried to start a server but usual message at chat window "Server started. Please wait for the map to update" (may defer as my maptool is in Spanish). Despite this I tried to connect with another instance of maptool but I couldn't.
As I was using Debian Wheezy I copied all the files into a Windows 7 machine and everything worked. That seems really strange as they are the same files I've been using for months and everything worked correctly.
So I decided to delete all beneath my home directory (/home/firulillo/.maptools) and started it again but
it happened the same.

Some data:

Code: Select all

firulillo@zelaur:~$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_23"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.11pre) (6b23~pre11-1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.0-b11, mixed mode)

Maptools version: 1.3.b86
As I started it by "Launch command.sh" I read maptool's output at shell but the only thing I got was:

oscar@zelaur:~$ maptool 
Executing /home/firulillo/Desktop/documents/rol/software/maptool-1.3.b86/maptool-1.3.b86.jar ...
TinyLaF v1.3.04
'Default.theme' not found - using YQ default theme.
firulillo@zelaur:~$ 
Do you need any more info?
Please, forgive my English.

patoace
Dragon

Re: Unable to start a server

Post by patoace »

Hola Firulillo

Parece que estás usando maptool en Linux ¿es así? y parece que Maptool inicia el servidor, pero los clientes no pueden conectarse. Habría que ver qué mensaje te devuelve el cliente que no se conecta. A veces, te dice connection refused y otras simplemente que no puede encontrar el servidor.

Cuéntame y veamos qué se puede hacer.

Saludos

firulillo
Kobold

Post by firulillo »

patoace wrote:Parece que estás usando maptool en Linux ¿es así? y parece que Maptool inicia el servidor, pero los clientes no pueden conectarse. Habría que ver qué mensaje te devuelve el cliente que no se conecta. A veces, te dice connection refused y otras simplemente que no puede encontrar el servidor.
Sí, estoy usándolo bajo GNU/Linux.
No, de hecho no parece ni iniciar el servidor. Como dije, ni siquiera sale el mensaje de "Servidor iniciado" en la ventana de chat.
El cliente simplemente dice "Imposible cargar campaña. Java.net.ConnectException: Connection Refused". Cosa que creo que es normal porque el servidor no ha iniciado.

Gracias

In English:
Indeed, server doesn't even seem to start. As told on my previous message, message of "Servers is running" doesn't appear at the chat window after pressing "ok" at Start server menu.

I forgot to say:
I had typed username, and chosen role (gm or player), set a player's password and tried both with and without UPnP

Thanks

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

firulillo wrote: In English:
Indeed, server doesn't even seem to start. As told on my previous message, message of "Servers is running" doesn't appear at the chat window after pressing "ok" at Start server menu.

I forgot to say:
I had typed username, and chosen role (gm or player), set a player's password and tried both with and without UPnP

Thanks
This has been discussed about a half billion times here, get SUN(Oracle) Java instead of OpenJDK. From what little i can remember, some of the third party libraries in use do not work correctly with the way OpenJDK handles networking (If I understand correctly, this is an bug in OpenJDK that has been outstanding for years)
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

firulillo
Kobold

Post by firulillo »

jfrazierjr wrote: This has been discussed about a half billion times here, get SUN(Oracle) Java instead of OpenJDK. From what little i can remember, some of the third party libraries in use do not work correctly with the way OpenJDK handles networking (If I understand correctly, this is an bug in OpenJDK that has been outstanding for years)
:oops:
Sorry, seriously. Indeed the first thing I thought was that it was a java problem so I re-installed sun-java6-bin and checked it after all. But I didn't remember to update my /etc/alternatives. So I completely thought my system was using it.

Sorry again for not finding a thread with this issue and thanks, jfrazierjr.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

firulillo wrote:
jfrazierjr wrote: This has been discussed about a half billion times here, get SUN(Oracle) Java instead of OpenJDK. From what little i can remember, some of the third party libraries in use do not work correctly with the way OpenJDK handles networking (If I understand correctly, this is an bug in OpenJDK that has been outstanding for years)
:oops:
Sorry, seriously. Indeed the first thing I thought was that it was a java problem so I re-installed sun-java6-bin and checked it after all. But I didn't remember to update my /etc/alternatives. So I completely thought my system was using it.

Sorry again for not finding a thread with this issue and thanks, jfrazierjr.
no problem... it's also in the NetWork FAQ, so if you have any more trouble, check that first(and the NFAQ is also linked to from the "Network Help" button on the start server dialog.)
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

firulillo
Kobold

Post by firulillo »

jfrazierjr wrote:no problem... it's also in the NetWork FAQ, so if you have any more trouble, check that first(and the NFAQ is also linked to from the "Network Help" button on the start server dialog.)
Sorry but I read NFAQ before opening the thread but couldn't find about it (may be I did "diagonal reading").

This message is now written to bother anyone but for adding it at NFAQ if you consider it relevant.

patoace
Dragon

Post by patoace »

¡Hey, no te preocupes! Empezar una búsqueda por términos técnicos en otro idioma es una barrera real, y a veces es mejor preguntar directamente.

Bienvenido a la comunidad y ojalá tengas una buena experiencia usando MapTool

Return to “MapTool”