List of websites that offer dedicated Servers

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
stormoffires
Kobold

List of websites that offer dedicated Servers

Post by stormoffires »

So ive searched and looked but could not find a list a websites that offer services that can handle MapTool 24/7.

so two things, what am i looking for on web hosts to handle this, as well as anyone know ones/how to? thanks!

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: List of websites that offer dedicated Servers

Post by aliasmask »

I'm sure someone will come up with a more helpful answer, but what you need is a shell account and a server that will allow you to upload and install your own software (or have them do it). With remote access to the server, you can then start the MapTool application. But, the server will always show up as a player.

Now if I had 2 computers and lets say my other computer was just a box. If I installed VNC on both computers I could remote in to my other computer and run it just like I was in front of it, start MapTool server and then end the VNC connection from my computer. That's how I imagine one method.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

If I understand correctly, the critical piece is that there would have to be a logged in user account consistently on the remote server. This is because all of the MapTool graphics stuff as well as preferences, etc require a logged in user account(don't want "root" or yours either but a separate one.) This account would have to be able to "auto-login". In THEORY, some configurations might allow your remote login to be maintained even after you disconnect, but I suspect that in most cases, when you disconnect from the remote server is logged out(which is what we need to avoid cause there has to be a logged in user!!!!).
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Notsonoble
Dragon

Post by Notsonoble »

jfrazierjr wrote:If I understand correctly, the critical piece is that there would have to be a logged in user account consistently on the remote server. This is because all of the MapTool graphics stuff as well as preferences, etc require a logged in user account(don't want "root" or yours either but a separate one.) This account would have to be able to "auto-login". In THEORY, some configurations might allow your remote login to be maintained even after you disconnect, but I suspect that in most cases, when you disconnect from the remote server is logged out(which is what we need to avoid cause there has to be a logged in user!!!!).
This is another of the issues that would need to be covered in a "headless" version of MT. Which we're pretty much not gonna get until 1.4 if I understand correctly.
My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
Notsonoble's Samsung Galaxy S

Return to “MapTool”