Maptool/Inittool/Dicetool sometimes lockup Win 7 64 bit

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Maptool/Inittool/Dicetool sometimes lockup Win 7 64 bit

Post by Steel Rat »

Hello all,

Recently purchased a new Win 7 machine and am getting stuff all installed.

I've noticed that at times, when I open Maptool, then Inittool, then Dicetool, the machine will lockup hard after wither IT or DT have been opened. I can't pin this down to any one app, or if it's a conflict with some other app. Wondering if anyone else has experience this.

Maptool 1.3.b86
Inittool 1.1.b9
Dicetool 1.0.b34

I open MT with the 1gb bat file, and Init with the supplied bat. Dicetool is opened simply by clicking the .jar file.

Any help is appreciated!
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

jfrazierjr
Deity

Re: Maptool/Inittool/Dicetool sometimes lockup Win 7 64 bit

Post by jfrazierjr »

Steel Rat wrote:Hello all,

Recently purchased a new Win 7 machine and am getting stuff all installed.

I've noticed that at times, when I open Maptool, then Inittool, then Dicetool, the machine will lockup hard after wither IT or DT have been opened. I can't pin this down to any one app, or if it's a conflict with some other app. Wondering if anyone else has experience this.

Maptool 1.3.b86
Inittool 1.1.b9
Dicetool 1.0.b34

I open MT with the 1gb bat file, and Init with the supplied bat. Dicetool is opened simply by clicking the .jar file.

Any help is appreciated!

ugh...

any number of possible issues here. What does your Eventlog(System or Application) say around the time of the lock up? It might point to something going on. I suspect that the issue might have to do with crappy drivers(video or networking most likely). Have you updated them from the Mfg's site, if not do that... Windows Update rather SUCKS when it comes to updating drivers.. I have had it replace a Mfg's driver with a GENERIC one for my wireless card(which caused wireless to stop working). After that happened twice... I ditched windows for good(well.. other than a Virtual Box running inside linux which I need for a few .Net 4/Siverlight applications that won't run under Moonlight.)

It's also possible that Java may not be installed correctly, just make sure to REBOOT after the uninstall if you end up going that route with troubleshooting. Not really much else to say that might help without some more information(multiple monitors?, multiple mice/input devices?, etc).
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

Thanks for the reply. Not sure how to get to the event log (been ages since I've look at one).

I did just now update the video driver, from the manufacturer's site, so we'll see if that makes a difference.

The JRE also wasn't in the environment path, so I had to add the location to javaw.exe for the bat files to work.

I do have dual monitors, my TV is my second monitor, and it was turned off at the time. I wonder if that might be the issue. I'll have to experiment with that, though I haven't had issues with anything else that I normally use on the second monitor, they just don't display on the primary.
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Hey SR! Long time, no see.
Steel Rat wrote:Thanks for the reply. Not sure how to get to the event log (been ages since I've look at one).
Control Panel -> System and Security -> Administrative Tools -> View Event Logs
Steel Rat wrote:The JRE also wasn't in the environment path, so I had to add the location to javaw.exe for the bat files to work.
Do you only have the 64-bit JRE installed? That may be why.
Steel Rat wrote:I do have dual monitors, my TV is my second monitor, and it was turned off at the time. I wonder if that might be the issue.
That could be it if you had previously run one or more of MT/IT/DT with a window on that second monitor. Certainly turning it on would be a quick test to see if it is a factor.

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

Thanks Phergus. I can pinpoint the time of the lockup and my power down, but don't see any log entries which show why the system locked up.

As far as I know, none of the apps in question were opened on the second monitor, I could see all three of them on the primary when it locks up.

I didn't install JRE explicitly, it was installed by another app. But even in the past I've had to manually add the path to the bin folder to be able to run the batch files which call javaw.exe.

After posting this initially I had all three open with no problem without the second monitor turned on. So there must be a conflict with another app I use.

I have noticed that sometimes on my older Vista machine, either inittool or dicetool would start taking up all the CPU and stay that way until I shut down all the java apps.
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Steel Rat wrote:Thanks Phergus. I can pinpoint the time of the lockup and my power down, but don't see any log entries which show why the system locked up.
Generally speaking, if a Windows system hangs up tight it is because some hardware driver has got itself into a fit. For lockups, the audio drivers are actually the most likely culprit though only MT uses any audio and that only for chat notification. Video and network drivers are obvious candidates as well.
Steel Rat wrote:As far as I know, none of the apps in question were opened on the second monitor, I could see all three of them on the primary when it locks up.
So not that then.
Steel Rat wrote:I didn't install JRE explicitly, it was installed by another app. But even in the past I've had to manually add the path to the bin folder to be able to run the batch files which call javaw.exe.
A correctly installed JRE doesn't need the bin dir added to the path as java, javaw and javaws will all be put into system32 and thus in the path.
Steel Rat wrote:After posting this initially I had all three open with no problem without the second monitor turned on. So there must be a conflict with another app I use.
Probably something that uses one or more of the same hardware resources: video, sound, networking. A fourth candidate is USB drivers if you were accessing data on a thumb drive or USB hard drive.
Steel Rat wrote:I have noticed that sometimes on my older Vista machine, either inittool or dicetool would start taking up all the CPU and stay that way until I shut down all the java apps.
I don't use them so can't really offer any insight there.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

There has been some talk about the latest incarnation of TeamSpeak (3.0?) giving Win7 users some headache. I believe updated video drivers solved the problem. We're not getting a bunch of other Win7 people piping in so I'm guessing it can't be a general problem or we'd have heard more about it.

Return to “MapTool”