Permently open frame with input

Discuss macro implementations, ask for macro help (to share your creations, see User Creations, probably either Campaign Frameworks or Drop-in Resources).

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

Doktor Avalanche
Cave Troll

Permently open frame with input

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

Is there a way to set up a Frame which is permanently open and that has an input area which does not close when a player enters their data.

All the frameworks I have seen have a damage macro that you click on, which opens an input area for you to type in your damage and which then closes when you hit enter. Next round same again.

I would like to have an input area on say a character sheet which allows players to type in say "13" as their damage and click a button to take the damage. The character sheet obviously stays open. Rather than the current solutions I have seen where one button opens the input and another applies the damage and closes the damage input sheet. Is that possible?

Raoden
Dragon

Re: Permently open frame with input

Post by Raoden »

Yeah, any "frame" stays open unless a macro tells it to close. (The ones that automatically close after you use them are Dialogs, not Frames.) So you just have to remove such a command from the macros in your framework.

Such a frame could be either Wiki: macroLink()-based or HTML-Form-based (with a "Submit" button).
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed."
- G. K. Chesterton

Wonderful HTML/CSS reference * Color Manager * Token Manager 2.0

Doktor Avalanche
Cave Troll

Right, thanks. I am pretty new to this coding lark....so what action do I need to set in the html submit to get the data into Maptools as say a variable or as the HP Property? I could not work out how to get the data from html "into" Maptool.

I don't think macroLink is the way to go since I have only seen that create a button not an input box like the html submit solution.

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

Have you read my Forms tutorial yet? I assume it should answer some of your questions.

Doktor Avalanche
Cave Troll

Use the tutorials ?? Of course not, I want you to spoon feed me everything....!

I had not seen that one, I was going round in circles with the Frames tutorial.

Thankyou so much. The forms tutorial is exactly what I was looking, for but I did not know what to search for.

Bone White
Great Wyrm

Post by Bone White »

CIf's tutorials were very useful. You really do have to learn each part step by step before you dive into something like a self-refreshing character sheet style form. I had to ask many questions on the way there, but those articles answered most of them, once I had practiced each part individually in a test campaign.

Feel free to ask questions, we're all here to help when you get stuck as long as you've given it a serious attempt yourself :)

Return to “Macros”