DM seeing all typed text.

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Hargert
Kobold

DM seeing all typed text.

Post by Hargert »

Is there a way for the DM to see all typed text and whispers from the players? I would like to be able to see when players are whispering to each other when using the DM client. It lets me plan for my players schemes and goals.

Thank You.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: DM seeing all typed text.

Post by aliasmask »

Nope, not through the MT chat client. You can also use a custom frame that could cc the gm, but there is currently no drop-in created with that functionality.

Avotas
Cave Troll

Post by Avotas »

That should be added, if for no other reason then legal concerns. If (god forbid) something happens, and a threat is made against someone, it would be helpful for the server / gm to provide a copy of the log that is unaltered and time stamped to resolve the conflict.

-Avotas

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Or we let adults be adults instead of having software spying on them without their knowledge.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Avotas
Cave Troll

Post by Avotas »

Ah. You assume if the log is present someone will actually read it and invade others privacy. The reason it should be included is more for the final word in the matter when problems arise and harms the enjoyment of the game. For example, one player complains they were being attacked personally in whisper. The other person denies it. It's a simple matter to pull the log and verify the claim. This same setup has happened to me, and resolved in one or both players leaving the game. As much as I would like to say everyone should act like adults, it often doesn't happen.

If your concerns are about notification, you can add a message when the player connects that reads something like "GM Hawkins has enabled server level logging" or something along that line. If the players think the GM sits down and reads all the logs for jollies, then they can easily quit. I would. Just my two cents.

-Avotas

JonathanTheBlack
Dragon

Post by JonathanTheBlack »

Not needed.

RedDog
Dragon

Post by RedDog »

If you feel the MT chat is lacking, there are plenty of other chat programs out there. I am sure you can find one with the logging criteria you want. Personally, I don't think what you are asking for is needed either.

Avotas
Cave Troll

Post by Avotas »

Easy there RedDog. It's just an enchantment request. It is safe to say we are both looking to make maptool best as possible. If that wasn't true I would have swapped to D20 or Google gametable.

RedDog
Dragon

Post by RedDog »

Avotas wrote:Easy there RedDog. It's just an enchantment request. It is safe to say we are both looking to make maptool best as possible. If that wasn't true I would have swapped to D20 or Google gametable.
You misunderstood my tone (silly internet). I was just suggesting that there are alternative options to get the OP what they want.

Avotas
Cave Troll

Post by Avotas »

That should be enhancement request, my phone auto completed me. ^^

Avotas
Cave Troll

Post by Avotas »

Ok Red, Sorry about that!

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Just an FYI, this has been discussed in the past(several times in fact)... the consensus with most users is that they either don't want it or just don't care one way or the other. Additionally, none of the existing developers has a real priority to add this because of their own feelings on the subject. Soo.... unless we get some really overwhelming support from the community to add this as a feature in 1.4 (or higher), I really don't see this as happening.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I was thinking there could be a way to use /alias to pseudo disable whispering which would be another solution (rather than logging).

I tried "/alias w Whisper has been disabled" but the built in commands take precedence. As far as features go, /ignore playerName would be more useful.

Avotas
Cave Troll

Post by Avotas »

Yea. As I said, I'm at a weird place on this. I like and support whispering, I was just looking for a way to fact check when problems pop up. However if this has been debated, and the Devs are aganist it, there isn't much more you can do. ^^

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

aliasmask wrote:I tried "/alias w Whisper has been disabled" but the built in commands take precedence. As far as features go, /ignore playerName would be more useful.
Hm, that seems strange. It seems like aliases should be checked first, but then how would you execute built-in commands from inside an alias? I suppose that a global stack could be set up which contains all aliases actively being evaluated, then any commands on that list are excluded from the alias search (which would disallow recursive aliases, but without an IF statement in the aliases that's appropriate anyway).

Seems like too much work for too little gain at this point though. Still, something to keep in mind for the next iteration.

Return to “MapTool”