attention to detail

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
xTimx
Cave Troll

attention to detail

Post by xTimx »

i know i can do basic maps from scratch and put in items from the library but to me it all just doesnt look that "realistic". so i was hoping what do you all do to make ur maps more detailed and more realistic. what kinds of tips and tricks that are simple but effective when it comes to maybe lighting from a torch or shadows or colors and effects?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: attention to detail

Post by aliasmask »

One of the GM traps is trying to make your maps look realistic. But I do like to do that myself. Lately, I do a map all in paintshop pro and then add set design to it in MapTool. Adding shadows to walls is a big improvement. Also, my tokens have full body portraits and no borders.

xTimx
Cave Troll

Post by xTimx »

well i've been trying to add in light effects in the drawing aspect in MTs, but its hard to do in certain areas. i look at other maps being done and its just unreal what people can do in MTs, i'm so jealous :P

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I used to try to do everything in MT, but detail work is tough especially with the limited layer options and undo-ability.

mfrizzell
Dragon

Post by mfrizzell »

I use Campaign Cartographer and it's amazing how fast and simple it is to do great dungeon type maps in minutes. Given it isn't cheap and there is a real learning curve for a lot of things but the basics can really do a great map.
I also use GIMP for some things.
I gave up on making maps in MT a long time ago. They just look too cheesy to me. But that's just my opinion.
DCI/RPGA# 7208328396 Skype ID mfrizzell77
Characters:
Strabor - Dwarf Avenger 5th Level
Tikkanan - Human Warlock 2nd Level
----------------------------------------------------
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."

xTimx
Cave Troll

Post by xTimx »

i'm gonna try and get trained by my friend in Photoshop, or GIMP, then maybe i can actually do some decent maps.

mfrizzell
Dragon

Post by mfrizzell »

I've found plenty of tutorials online for both GIMP(what I was looking for) and photoshop.
DCI/RPGA# 7208328396 Skype ID mfrizzell77
Characters:
Strabor - Dwarf Avenger 5th Level
Tikkanan - Human Warlock 2nd Level
----------------------------------------------------
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

xTimx wrote:i'm gonna try and get trained by my friend in Photoshop, or GIMP, then maybe i can actually do some decent maps.
CartographersGuild.com. Most of the tutorials there are for regional or world maps, but there are a few for building/dungeon maps. However, I would HIGHLY suggest that you use a tile based solution if playing with remote people. It will give you nice results with the least overall memory usage(and thus transfer times), unless you are making fairly small maps.

Also, if you use GIMP, you can use RobA's Subterrainian Map Prettier Script. I created this map in about 20 minutes using the script, a few textures on their own layers and layer masks.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Return to “MapTool”