[1.3b87] Fog of war produces java error on player movement.

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
femanon
Cave Troll

[1.3b87] Fog of war produces java error on player movement.

Post by femanon »

The link to the original discussion
So far as I know there is not one, I have searched for similar bugs.

The problem is as follows. I set up a map that has fog of war on, sight, sever rules player reveal and it's sub option, the GM reveal checklist option in the preferences. this is all on my end, I am not sure if the other players have theirs set up. The bug is that when players move their tokens, they get java errors, sometimes several, sometimes they even get errors when they select anything or even mouse over their own token
http://pastebin.com/esrxvbtk
The java error, it doesnt seem to change
I was able to reproduce the bug by installing maptools on a secondary laptop, connecting to the same map, and moving a token as a player, strangely enough it does not happen in another map with fog of war set up already and I am not sure why. at first I thought the problem might be the version of Java, but the aforementioned second map worked with version 7, and as far as I know, was set up exactly the same way as the other map.

A suggested possible solution

So far I have nothing, Currently my players are not around to test my new map to see if they have problems, I suspect that there is a possibility that the map in question might be corruptable just by them joining it when they have the problem, but I dont know if there is any substance of that, But it would be one way to explain why the second map experiances no problems but I can reproduce them on the first. The example says this section is important, but I'm pretty sure the intent is pretty clear that I dont want the bugs to happen.

Any supporting attachments

http://speedy.sh/QjW65/java6test2.cmpgn
(this map is over 5 mb)
This is the campaign map that has the errors. if you load it as a GM, you will experience no errors, to reproduce, you should connect from a remote PC to the server and attempt to move a token or interact with the map.
Attachments
testrun.cmpgn
This is the campaign map that has no errors, If you load it as a GM and connect from the server from a remote pc, even using java 7, it should function just fine. Although the token cannot me moved into the fog of war area, I am not sure if this is as intended or another bug. Regardless its not a serious problem. This map is provided as a comparison to the other map.
(2.98 MiB) Downloaded 24 times

femanon
Cave Troll

Re: [1.3b87] Fog of war produces java error on player moveme

Post by femanon »

wolph42 wrote:Check the announcements of this forum. Mt b87 is NOT compatible with java 7!
why did you move my thread when I said that JAVA 7 CANT BE THE ISSUE!?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

I *did* misinterpreted your post. BUT that was *not* the reason I moved it. Pls read the READ ME FIRST before you post in the bug section. Next time your post will not be moved but deleted (if it is not in accordance to the forum rules).
As it seems you've placed it back, I'm asking you to revert this or I will still delete it.

That is not to say that we do not appreciate you taking your time to report this issue and even providing a test campaign, for which our gratitude!

edit: after ruling out the j7 issue, we get to the next step. There have been reports in the past with broken VBL on maps rendering similar errors. AFAIK there has not been proposed any usuable solution (though here I may be wrong) and the usual reply is to redo the VBL (even how annoying that may be...). Though do keep a couple of things in mind when you draw vbl.
In general: first draw a vbl over the entire area and then cut out the sections where you can see. This is in most cases the best practice.
Secondary: IF you are using lines, make sure that they do not double overlap. So a cross is ok but a square with a cross beyond the boundaries of the square isn't.
I think there are more rules but other need to fill in on these. You can also try searching the forum for VBL issues as (as I mentioned earlier) there have been more occasions.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Move lock bug? Check your init panel and uncheck movement lock, save, close MT, restart.

femanon
Cave Troll

Post by femanon »

wolph42 wrote:I *did* misinterpreted your post. BUT that was *not* the reason I moved it. Pls read the READ ME FIRST before you post in the bug section. Next time your post will not be moved but deleted (if it is not in accordance to the forum rules).
As it seems you've placed it back, I'm asking you to revert this or I will still delete it.
Placed what back?
I haven't touched this thread other than to A. Post it, B, Ask you what the hell is wrong with it. I DID read the README, If you payed close attention, you would notice for most sections I included the question the example asks so you know exactly what youre looking at. It was posted in the exact format that the readme and example requires so far as I know and if not please show me otherwise other than alluding to a problem that as far as I know does not exist.
edit: after ruling out the j7 issue, we get to the next step. There have been reports in the past with broken VBL on maps rendering similar errors. AFAIK there has not been proposed any usuable solution (though here I may be wrong) and the usual reply is to redo the VBL (even how annoying that may be...). Though do keep a couple of things in mind when you draw vbl.
In general: first draw a vbl over the entire area and then cut out the sections where you can see. This is in most cases the best practice.
Secondary: IF you are using lines, make sure that they do not double overlap. So a cross is ok but a square with a cross beyond the boundaries of the square isn't.
I think there are more rules but other need to fill in on these. You can also try searching the forum for VBL issues as (as I mentioned earlier) there have been more occasions.
I can only think that VBL is line of sight correct? I can make sure not to cross lines, but I doubt this is the problem as I remember crossing a few in the testrun, regardless I'll keep this in mind, but I'd prefer you spill exactly what you don't seem to like about this thread so I can get help and my players don't have to play with me constantly moving big black objects to obscure the map.
aliasmask wrote:Move lock bug? Check your init panel and uncheck movement lock, save, close MT, restart.
Please read the full text of this problem before attempting to help or don't help at all. I've just about had enough I can take from people walking into this thread, reading 1 word, and deciding the problem is some simple thing that it really isn't.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Well it seems that misreading and 'paying close attention' is something you have to learn as well, from the readme:
I am likely to simply delete threads that haven't been discussed in the parent forum yet. Or at a minimum tell the original poster to read this post and then lock their thread.
As for moving the topic back, it appeared a server error. (as you might have noticed, I did update my former post).

Ok, VBL is vision blocking layer, line of sight is LoS. so what I meant is that most likely your VBL got screwed which unfortunately happens and we dont know yet what causes it, although 'bad' VBL application as I described *can* be the cause. This is however not my cup of T so one of the devs should say something about this.

Ah and IRC, players cannot move tokens inside VBL areas, first the fog must be cleared,visit this maybe the issue you are talking about (beside the java error you get)?

tiorthan
Cave Troll

Post by tiorthan »

Using Java 6 and b87 I cannot reproduce the issue on my local network (Windows 7 and Linux both 64 bit using the Oracle JRE 1.6) using the campaign file provided in the top post.

Switching to Java 7 will produce the exact same error message upon campaign load or server connect before I can even see or touch anything.

Femanon, could you please post the debug information (within MapTool open the Menu Help>Gather Debug Information) of both your server and client after confirming the bug did appear in that specific session?

At the moment, I'm at a loss for explanations. The obvious reason for the error you linked to on pastebin would be silently ignored in Java 6 (and as I said I cannot reproduce it in my development setup).

femanon
Cave Troll

Post by femanon »

tiorthan wrote:Using Java 6 and b87 I cannot reproduce the issue on my local network (Windows 7 and Linux both 64 bit using the Oracle JRE 1.6) using the campaign file provided in the top post.

Switching to Java 7 will produce the exact same error message upon campaign load or server connect before I can even see or touch anything.

Femanon, could you please post the debug information (within MapTool open the Menu Help>Gather Debug Information) of both your server and client after confirming the bug did appear in that specific session?

At the moment, I'm at a loss for explanations. The obvious reason for the error you linked to on pastebin would be silently ignored in Java 6 (and as I said I cannot reproduce it in my development setup).
And you where able to connect to the map just fine?
I have had problems with java 6 users connecting to that map after this happened.

tiorthan
Cave Troll

Post by tiorthan »

I have not had any problems at all. The campaign loads just fine. When I connect to the server the campaign loads without errors and I can then move tokens as a player or GM. Everything works smoothly.

femanon
Cave Troll

Post by femanon »

tiorthan wrote:I have not had any problems at all. The campaign loads just fine. When I connect to the server the campaign loads without errors and I can then move tokens as a player or GM. Everything works smoothly.
hmm, perhaps we have just been having connection errors locally then, I will try a couple more tests. but it seems like a possible culprit or two could be identified if it still does not work on my j6 players end.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

I think it's also wise (as stated earlier) to gather ALL debug info. You can find it in the help menu. Pls post those here. So of the server and the clients.

tiorthan
Cave Troll

Post by tiorthan »

femanon wrote: hmm, perhaps we have just been having connection errors locally then,

Code: Select all

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Comparison method violates its general contract!
        at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.zone.FogUtil.calculateVisibility(FogUtil.java:81)
If this line is always included in the error message, it is not a connectivity issue. Connectivity issues would not reproducibly manifest themselves in this part of the code, this is prevented by the way the Java programming language works. In fact, I can see no way how even corrupted data would result in this exact exception.

It would really help to see what kind of debug information MapTool displays because this seems to be some kind of incompatibility issue between MapTool's classes and the collection library used by your JRE.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

femanon wrote:The problem is as follows. I set up a map that has fog of war on, sight, sever rules player reveal and it's sub option, the GM reveal checklist option in the preferences. this is all on my end, I am not sure if the other players have theirs set up. The bug is that when players move their tokens, they get java errors, sometimes several, sometimes they even get errors when they select anything or even mouse over their own token
femanon wrote:
aliasmask wrote:Move lock bug? Check your init panel and uncheck movement lock, save, close MT, restart.
Please read the full text of this problem before attempting to help or don't help at all. I've just about had enough I can take from people walking into this thread, reading 1 word, and deciding the problem is some simple thing that it really isn't.
Don't be a jerk to people trying to help you. That's a good way to not get help. This forum is community supported and the help you get is through the kindness of others.

You posted your campaign, which is a good start, but lacked the details needed to debug the problem. I read your post and I read that other people didn't see a problem, meaning it is either software based or setting based. The line in bold above indicates an error that was a part of the movement lock bug fixed in b87. I opened your file and it indicates it was created in b85, so I don't know which version of MapTool you're using now. I would recommend to start if you haven't already done so to use b87. Hope you figure out your problem, but I won't be spending anymore time on it.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

aliasmask wrote:You posted your campaign, which is a good start, but lacked the details needed to debug the problem.
And when asked at least twice (in the last 7 posts) and told how to find the needed information, the requests were ignored.
Hope you figure out your problem, but I won't be spending anymore time on it.
Agreed. Unless the user is willing to provide the information requested we're just spinning our wheels and there's no reason to waste time on that.

Return to “MapTool”