Resetting explored map??? (Need help fast)

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

thrilled
Kobold

Resetting explored map??? (Need help fast)

Post by thrilled »

Greetings,

I have a map made and I am using Fog of War + Nighttime in a dungeon. Now during my making of the map I took some test tokens and moved them around to make sure that I had all vision blocking layers correctly done. By doing so I also "unlocked" the explored map feature (not sure if it is fog or not). Then after the testing I wanted to reset everything so it became a clean new map from players perspective.

So I took of Fog of War and then applied it, did the same with vision. Then on my GM screen it looks just perfect. However on the players screen they can still see some of the areas as explored (ie some parts are still visible to them from start). Even if I choose the FOG tool and then first unfog the whole map (the players then see the whole map) and then refog it then the players still see the area that I used when exploring during my test run.

I simply want to reset all exploration related things ie fog, explored area etc so the map becomes totally fresh to the players...

How do I do that??

To me it appears being some bug that makes the client not completely forget some revealed areas. However fog and unfog works without any problems as long the players have not visited the area with one of their characters, because as soon they do I can never fog it again even if it looks alright on my gm screen it still shows fine on the players screens

Thanks in advance!

/Thrilled

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Resetting explored map??? (Need help fast)

Post by aliasmask »

Ctrl-Shift-O clears the FOW and only displays the current area the PCs can see.

thrilled
Kobold

Post by thrilled »

Thanks a ton Aliasmask! You saved my day it worked!

/Thrilled

xTimx
Cave Troll

Post by xTimx »

aliasmask wrote:Ctrl-Shift-O clears the FOW and only displays the current area the PCs can see.
OMFG why didnt i know about this before!?? (sniff sniff tear) lol

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

xTimx wrote:
aliasmask wrote:Ctrl-Shift-O clears the FOW and only displays the current area the PCs can see.
you can even set it to do so automatically...

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

wolph42 wrote:
xTimx wrote:
Ummm no... Unless you use the on(Multiple)TokenMove "event" and call Wiki: exposePCAreaOnly()
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

jfrazierjr wrote:
wolph42 wrote:
xTimx wrote:
Ummm no... Unless you use the on(Multiple)TokenMove "event" and call Wiki: exposePCAreaOnly()
thats exactly what I meant.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

wolph42 wrote: thats exactly what I meant.
Heh.. yea, I know what you meant.. but I wanted to be clear in what he "HEARD". That way he doesn't spend time looking for a "setting" that is not in MapTool.... :P
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

jfrazierjr wrote:
wolph42 wrote: thats exactly what I meant.
Heh.. yea, I know what you meant.. but I wanted to be clear in what he "HEARD". That way he doesn't spend time looking for a "setting" that is not in MapTool.... :P
Ah yes,true enough, very good. One could also download the bag of tricks and turn it on in the settings :D

ShiftyEyed
Kobold

Post by ShiftyEyed »

Um. Ctrl+Shift+o (as in the letter, although I tried with "zero" as well) doesn't work. Since I'm on a Mac, I also tried Cmd+Shift+o, 0 and every other combination that I could try.

There's got to be an easier way to reset the Fog of War! I've even tried "redrawing" squares to cover the areas over again (modifying with shift, ctrl, cmd, option…) with no avail. I'm on a Mac running 10.5.8…and I need to get this fixed by Friday!

Thanks!

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

You can also use the menu on a PC token under "Expose". It's listed as "Only currently visible" which IMO is slightly vague. I don't have a mac, but cmd-shift-o should work in clearing the FOW. You do need to be on the Token layer when you do that though. It should clear all FOW and expose on the areas the PC tokens can current see given the lighting conditions.

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

Cmd-Shift-O works on mac.

You should be able to cover revealed areas with the FOW drawing tools. If that doesnt work something is wrong. What version on MT do you use?

ShiftyEyed
Kobold

Post by ShiftyEyed »

MapTool 1.3b87

ShiftyEyed
Kobold

Post by ShiftyEyed »

Ha! It worked!

Oddly enough, the left-hand CMD-Shift didn't do it. But the right-hand CMD-Shift did.

Why? How? I don't know, I don't care. We're cool!

Thanks!

Return to “General Discussion”