MapTool 1.3 Final, patch06 (build 89)

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

cubeblue
Cave Troll

Re: MapTool 1.3 Final, patch06 (build 89)

Post by cubeblue »

Sweet! Thanks again for all your work, everyone. Looking forward to b90.
& So Forth a blog about dungeons & dragons & so forth. With a particular eye for virtual table-top play, 5e, and OSR themes.

suntzu777
Cave Troll

Post by suntzu777 »

i dont know if this is a bug with version 89 map tools but there has been extra text apearing in the chat window

i ran the same campaign file and ran the same macro in each , in the 1.3r89 version i get extra text appearing , i have attached a picture and here is the text for the macro below

previously i have been using 1.3r87

Rob

[H:Flavour = "Basic , Defence"]
[H:Power = "Assess the Situation"]
[H:Type = "Intuition (Int)"]
[H:Special = "Add 1 Challenge dice to this actions dice pool if you are engaged with an enemy"]
[H:SuccessA= " 1 success , Recover 1 fatigue and 1 stress"]
[H:SuccessB= " 1 success , Add a Defence Dice to any Melee Attack or Ranged Attack actions targeting you"]
[H:SuccessC= " 2 Boons , Remove 1 recharge token from one of your cards"]
[H:SuccessD= " 2 Banes , The GM may add 1 recharge token to one of your cards"]

<table border="1">
<tr bgcolor=Green>
<th><font bgcolor=Green color=white size=4><b>[Power] </b></font></tr></th><br>

<tr bgcolor=#FFFFE0><td align="center"><font bgcolor=#FFFFE0 color=black size=3><i>[Flavour]</i></font></tr>

<tr bgcolor=Green color=white><td align="center"><font bgcolor=Green><b>  [Type] </b></font></td></tr>

<tr bgcolor=#FFFFE0><td align="center"><font bgcolor=#FFFFE0 color=black size=2>  
[H:Special = "Add 1 Challenge dice to this actions dice pool if you are engaged with an enemy"]
<b>Effects: <br>
</b> [SuccessA]  <br>
<br>
</b> [SuccessB]  <br>
<br>
</b> [SuccessC]  <br>
<br>
</b> [SuccessD]  <br>
<br>

</table>
mt.jpg
mt.jpg (127.55 KiB) Viewed 2301 times

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Known issue. Turn off smileys in Preferences and it goes away. It'll be fixed in b90 (either by fixing the way smileys are done or by removing them entirely!).

xTimx
Cave Troll

Post by xTimx »

I just would like a straight up answer...... which Java version/build are we using? 7 version or are we still going with 6?

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

xTimx wrote:I just would like a straight up answer...... which Java version/build are we using? 7 version or are we still going with 6?
The latest build works with both, but I'd recommend 1.7. Previous builds require 1.6

Elorebaen
Dragon

Post by Elorebaen »

Kudos Az for the hard work!

Tsriel
Cave Troll

Post by Tsriel »

Tch... Haha, I'm two weeks late to the party. :? Nicely done Az, guess I got some things to try out. :D

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

I'm not getting a lot of UPNP testing from the thread in the MapTool > Testers forum so I'd like to put out b90 in the next day or two.

I have two patches in my queue to evaluate:

Jamz_canSeeToken_fix_for_not_snapped_to_grid_tokens.txt
Lee_Undo-Redo_fix.txt
Jamz has some more VBL macro stuff

There was also a report that a saved map file (.rpmap) had token images in it when the tokens had been deleted off the map. I'll be looking into that.

If there are others I should be looking at, please reply here or bump the associated post in the Testers forum (I'm subscribed to that forum). I know there are a couple of people who were looking at updating translations as well, so I want to give them a chance to have their updates included in b90, hence the delay until Wed or Thu. (In fact, I'm traveling this week and Wed will be a busy day, so Thu is more likely.)
Last edited by Azhrei on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added VBL macros to the list

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Azhrei wrote:I'm not getting a lot of UPNP testing from the thread in the MapTool > Testers forum so I'd like to put out b90 in the next day or two.
maybe tonight I have some time again.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Azhrei wrote:I'm not getting a lot of UPNP testing from the thread in the MapTool > Testers forum so I'd like to put out b90 in the next day or two.

I have two patches in my queue to evaluate:

Jamz_canSeeToken_fix_for_not_snapped_to_grid_tokens.txt
Lee_Undo-Redo_fix.txt

There was also a report that a saved map file (.rpmap) had token images in it when the tokens had been deleted off the map. I'll be looking into that.

If there are others I should be looking at, please reply here or bump the associated post in the Testers forum (I'm subscribed to that forum). I know there are a couple of people who were looking at updating translations as well, so I want to give them a chance to have their updates included in b90, hence the delay until Wed or Thu. (In fact, I'm traveling this week and Wed will be a busy day, so Thu is more likely.)
Az, I also need to get a VBL fix into b90 if possible. There is a facing/rotation bug and I want to loosen the thickness parameter so it doesn't default to set thickness anymore, more for futureproofing and backwards compatibility.

But Wyrframe also has a couple new parameters added to existing functions.

Would you like me to split these up so you can evaluate them case by case? (bug fix over functionality)
-Jamz

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

JamzTheMan wrote:Would you like me to split these up so you can evaluate them case by case? (bug fix over functionality)
Yes, if it's not too much trouble.

You have a couple of days probably... :)

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Update on b90:

My laptop drive started freaking out on me early last week. I couldn't fix it right then as I had a business trip, but I've been working on replacing the drive (and upgrading my OS at the same time) so I've been delayed in getting b90 out.

The good news is that I have a new 750GB hybrid drive for my laptop. ;) I'm expecting disk IO to be a little faster, although this drive runs very warm and that's a concern to me (Seagate Momentus XT, $80 @ NewEgg.com, for those that care).

I'm almost done rebuilding it and then I've got some RL work to do before I can get back to MT (this has put me about 2-3 days behind schedule on other stuff). So don't expect b90 until next weekend and you'll be pleasantly surprised if it comes out earlier than that. ;)

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

No problem Az, that gives me a few more days to hopefully put the VBL stuff together I still owe you. RL in all can be such a PITA. If only we all could be paid for our hobbies... :)
-Jamz

Alassirana
Cave Troll

Post by Alassirana »

I've had something really weird come up. I use Lindsay's pathfinder/3.5 framework in my games (using the newest version of that now), and have had something that only cropped up this build of maptool with it. While I can get into the game easily enough and run the server, a few of my players have had problems getting maptool to start (using either the executable or the start-maptool.jar). Usually they give up and use the build89.jar itself to start the game, and when they do, it breaks their ability to use the framework, much at all..everything starts throwing stack overflow errors. What I've discovered that's most curious about this is that while they have this problem using the build89.jar directly, the problems vanish entirely if they use the webstart for maptools. I've checked and even made certain that these players that are having problems are using the same memory allocation and even the very same build of java as I am, but for whatever reason, the executable and start-maptool.jar simply don't work for them. I have personally never had any problem with the start-maptool.jar, so I don't know why it displays the window and then never launches maptools at all. The executable gives them the same problem, bringing up the memory window, but not launching the actual program. But, whatever it is, the web-start corrects the issue completely. Not sure whether this is a build problem or not, but figured that it might be a good idea letting people see what I've seen and how I managed to get it working for my players.

Alassirana

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Alassirana wrote:I've had something really weird come up. I use Lindsay's pathfinder/3.5 framework in my games (using the newest version of that now), and have had something that only cropped up this build of maptool with it. While I can get into the game easily enough and run the server, a few of my players have had problems getting maptool to start (using either the executable or the start-maptool.jar). Usually they give up and use the build89.jar itself to start the game, and when they do, it breaks their ability to use the framework, much at all..everything starts throwing stack overflow errors. What I've discovered that's most curious about this is that while they have this problem using the build89.jar directly, the problems vanish entirely if they use the webstart for maptools. I've checked and even made certain that these players that are having problems are using the same memory allocation and even the very same build of java as I am, but for whatever reason, the executable and start-maptool.jar simply don't work for them. I have personally never had any problem with the start-maptool.jar, so I don't know why it displays the window and then never launches maptools at all. The executable gives them the same problem, bringing up the memory window, but not launching the actual program. But, whatever it is, the web-start corrects the issue completely. Not sure whether this is a build problem or not, but figured that it might be a good idea letting people see what I've seen and how I managed to get it working for my players.

Alassirana

Because the MORONS at Oracle thought it would be a good idea to not understand anymore that "maptool-*.jar" means find any file that "starts" with the word "maptool-" and ends with ".jar" and run that. Your players are using java 7 with a patch level higher than 10(which is where Oracle first made this change)

So... either a) uninstall Java 7 and use Java 6(and might have to turn OFF auto Update!!)
b) use Java 7 PRIOR to update 10
c) EDIT the batch files and use the edited versions to start MapTool

The first two options are probably bad since they are security risks, especially option #2.

For the last option, open any of the batch files and edit as needed. Sample below:

javaw -Xmx512M -Xss512K -jar maptool-*.jar run

So... in the folder with the batch file, change the contents above to point to the correct fully named jar filename. So instead of the above, change it to:
javaw -Xmx512M -Xss512K -jar maptool-1.3.b87.jar run
LIKEWISE, you may(or may not also need to edit the max memory and the stack size. The Max memory is THIS(this sets to 1 GB which is 1024MB):
javaw -Xmx1024M -Xss512K -jar maptool-1.3.b87.jar run
The Stack Size is this(sets to 2 MB):
javaw -Xmx512M -Xss2M -jar maptool-1.3.b87.jar run
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Return to “Announcements”