[Savage Worlds] RPTroll's Campaign File Framework

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

RPTroll
TheBard

Re: [Savage Worlds] RPTroll's Campaign File Framework

Post by RPTroll »

Always nice to hear that the framework helps others learn Savage Worlds.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

DMFTodd
Cave Troll

Post by DMFTodd »

OK, ran last night. Some questions from a SW noob and this framework noob (and let it be said straight off: The framework is awesome. These were minor issues). On to the complaints:

First question, I took the framework from the very first post. It includes vehicles, the tabbed gear screen, so I think I'm on the recent version?

Two: The untrained rolls don't seem to be right. For example, I have an untrained roll with a result of 4 that says "You aced two times!". So that would be at least 4 + 4 + 1 = 9, -2 untrained = 7. The result of 4 seems to include the -2 penalty on each roll which I think is wrong (framework seems to be doing (4-2) + (4-2) + (Something - 2) = result)

Three: I'm not feeling very confident in the damage rolls for the gear. Our double-barrel shotgun was getting 4 and 18 with a raise. While possible, it seemed unlikely and we kept seeing lots of results like that. Is there a way to mouse-over and display the dice roll?

ROF: The double-barrel shotgun CAN fire two shots per round. If ROF is 2, it always using two rounds of ammo but only makes one shooting roll. Does the framework support any kind of Rof > 1 entry or do we just always set RoF to 1 and then roll attacks multiple times?

Lastly, a 47 page thread for the framework makes it nearly impossible to read through and see if these questions have been asked before. Can a plea go out to the powers that be so create a subforum for this framework so we can have individual questions in their own threads?

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Im away on vacation with nothing but a phone. I'll be back Wednesday and answer the questions then. Sorry for the delay.

DMFTodd
Cave Troll

Post by DMFTodd »

2nd try issues:

Damage: Not being able to see the dice of the damage rolls is still a problem. It probably works, just player superstition, but being able to see the rolls would really help.

Shaken: The framework will only allow a Spirit roll to be made if a PC is Shaken. The PC might need to roll STR if he's pushed back or other things. While the reminder is helpful, to prohibit rolls is a problem.

Handouts: Is there an easy way to do handouts (art) in this framework? I'm spoiled by the Token Handout button in the lMarkus Pathfinder framework. The "Call Tokens to Map" button is also very handy from that framework.

Initiative: If a token is marked as dead, it would be handy if they disappeared from the init when a new round is rolled. The framework freaks out a bit if you delete a token from the map that is in initiative. You have to be careful to remove them from the initiative first.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

All good points. I'll see what I can do about the damage roll. The way it's computed in the bowels of the combat macros presents a problem but I can likely overcome that.

I've never run into the strength issue. I can allow that as well as spirit. In fact, I might need to allow all the base trait rolls. I'll read over the rules to make sure.

I don't really do handouts in the system but MapTool does. If you'll give me a write up of what you'd like to see I'll try to fit it in.

The initiative system as several features I'd like to add including the Dead issue. My problem is I often like to keep dead people (they're everywhere) since they often represent a group. You can manually remove them in the init control panel now.

[later]

Looks like all opposed rolls are free actions which are allowed when shaken. The work around is to remove shaken for the duration of the opposed roll. I'll see about allowing the attribute rolls but displaying a message that the character is shaken and this should only be used for opposed rolls.

[even later]
No luck on displaying weapon damage like I do trait rolls. The problem is that Strength is used in the computation for melee weapons and that requires an eval which doesn't play well with tool tips. I can display the string that is evaled i.e. eval(Strength)+d8e but that's goign to be about the best I can do.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

DMFTodd wrote:OK, ran last night. Some questions from a SW noob and this framework noob (and let it be said straight off: The framework is awesome. These were minor issues). On to the complaints:

First question, I took the framework from the very first post. It includes vehicles, the tabbed gear screen, so I think I'm on the recent version?

Two: The untrained rolls don't seem to be right. For example, I have an untrained roll with a result of 4 that says "You aced two times!". So that would be at least 4 + 4 + 1 = 9, -2 untrained = 7. The result of 4 seems to include the -2 penalty on each roll which I think is wrong (framework seems to be doing (4-2) + (4-2) + (Something - 2) = result)
I found a bug in the Acing computation that was introduced in the last release. It shouldn't affect the game since the roll is just the roll but it will announce an ace, at times, when one didn't occur. I've fixed that for the next release.
Three: I'm not feeling very confident in the damage rolls for the gear. Our double-barrel shotgun was getting 4 and 18 with a raise. While possible, it seemed unlikely and we kept seeing lots of results like that. Is there a way to mouse-over and display the dice roll?

ROF: The double-barrel shotgun CAN fire two shots per round. If ROF is 2, it always using two rounds of ammo but only makes one shooting roll. Does the framework support any kind of Rof > 1 entry or do we just always set RoF to 1 and then roll attacks multiple times?
As expressed in the last post, there isn't an easy way to display the damage rolls with a mouse over without redoing the way melee weapon damage is handled.

There is an autofire function which allows for multiple attacks from one weapon with only a single wild die roll. In the damage for the weapon in question, add a variation with the autofire function called in the damage text box.

Code: Select all

Autofire(shooting,'2d6e+1',3)
where
  • shooting is the skill name
    '2d6e+1' is the damage which occurs should the roll hit
    3 is the number of rounds to fire
The output looks something like

SS Officer autofires MauserM32 at Cowboy (distance 1 = Short Range)  
Roll modified by MauserM32 to hit bonus=-2 Trait Modifier=1

Shooting Roll: 4 
Wild Roll: 7 Wild Die Aced! 
Autofire Attack 1 does damage of 9 or 11 if you hit with a raise 
Autofire Attack 2 Shooting roll 2 does damage of 11 or 14 if you hit with a raise 
Autofire Attack 3 Shooting roll 2 does damage of 11 or 14 if you hit with a raise against a toughness of 0            
Lastly, a 47 page thread for the framework makes it nearly impossible to read through and see if these questions have been asked before. Can a plea go out to the powers that be so create a subforum for this framework so we can have individual questions in their own threads?
I doubt they will. I can put something together on Google Groups if there is enough interest. Also, I don't mind answering the same question often. I did create a FAQ over on my blog. When a question is asked often enough I add it over there.

http://rptroll.blogspot.com/p/maptoolsa ... k-faq.html

Cheers,
Keith

DMFTodd
Cave Troll

Post by DMFTodd »

Fixing the ace problem probably eliminates the need to display the damage. A false ace would make the damage look wrong.

I'll take a look at the other framework and see if I can figure out the token handout.

It was my pestering that got the pathfinder framework its own section. Or a wiki would work well. Or google group. I can do either three. It's your baby, let me know if you want me to do something.

Thanks for the framework, the autofire, and taking a look at the other issues.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

I changed initiative so that dead and incapacitated tokens are removed from initiative. I'll test the new macros out during this Tuesday's game then put out a release.

Change macros include
Lib:Init - DrawInitCard
Lib:GM - TraitTestWithMod

You'll also want to go in and change the state name from Incapacitate to Incapacitated. Expect a build Wednesday.

DMFTodd
Cave Troll

Post by DMFTodd »

I've managed to rip out the Token Handout button from the lMarkus framework into a generic thing that should be easy to incorporate into this framework. Could you take a look and see if it's worthy of inclusion:

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24053

I'm also going to attempt to rip out the "Move Tokens" macro -- which gives the players a link and moves them next to a GM token on that map.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Sounds good. One of the things I've always wanted was a group movement/manager. I think there's one in the Drop In Resources section of User Creations.

DMFTodd
Cave Troll

Post by DMFTodd »

I've done the Call Token as well. The GM can put a token on the map, click it, press teh Call Tokens button, and each player gets a link that, when clicked, moves their selected token to that map. Of course, stolen from lMarkus framework.

You need the Library token:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9arT6J ... sp=sharing

And then you need a button to call it. The button macro is (this button should be Autoexec and Apply to Selected Token):

[MACRO("LibSummonPlayers@Lib:CallToken"): ""]
Last edited by DMFTodd on Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DMFTodd
Cave Troll

Post by DMFTodd »

How did your test go on Tuesday?

Does the framework adjust for Level Headed (drawing 2 init and taking the better)? If not, is there some way to change the init card someone has?

I find myself wishing that the Configure Extra had Notice, Stealth, Intimidate and Taunt - all things that come up in combat somewhat frequently and that the weapons section could be multi-line - it stretches all the way across my 23" monitor and I have to move the window to close it.

A small nit - It seems like the framework adds toughness + armor together when you Configure Extra. The standard though seems to be to include armor in Toughness. So the published adventure shows me Toughness 8(2), you have to do the egregious math of 8 - 2 = 6 and enter that in Toughness for the framework.

DMFTodd
Cave Troll

Post by DMFTodd »

Arggggh.

I'm putting together a new cyberpunk campaign so I want to get rid of all the equipment in the standard one. This causes a lot of problems though. When I create the new gear, the tokens start getting errors like:

Error in body of roll.       Statement options (if any): if(gearType=="Weapons"), code       Statement Body (first 200 characters): {  [h:targetId=findToken(Target)] [h:targetParry=getProperty("Parry",targetId)] [h:targetTuff=getProperty("Toughness",targetId)] [h:targetArmor=getProperty("Arm
If I add the weapon to the existing gear, that works no problem. But I don't want the existing gear. Waaaaaaa!

Is there a "blank" starting campaign? Is there some better way to do this?

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

There are a few settings included that you can pick from. Select the setting token and run the Put macro to get a closer starting point.

I'll often go in and edit existing gear, renaming it and editing the variations, to get a good start on data entry. You can also clone gear so you don't have to retype stuff over and over again.

DMFTodd
Cave Troll

Post by DMFTodd »

Not deleting all the gear seemed to work better.

Is there a way to re-deal someone an initiative card? Say, you forget to take them off hold so they get an Ace when they shouldn't?

I found the GM token and added a new skill to the properties, but when the players go to roll it they get a message asking them for the value of the skill. Did I do something wrong in setting up a new skill? Perhaps the token had already been created and then I added the skill? Is there a way to fix that?

Return to “Savage Worlds Frameworks”