Issue; The Table system

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
femanon
Cave Troll

Issue; The Table system

Post by femanon »

I'm using some animated tables for animation, and the player side experianced nothing but a bunch of X's, it's someone elses server. but i uploaded the table onto the server, the images still work for me as a player or GM. has anyone experianced this?

femanon
Cave Troll

Re: Issue; The Table system

Post by femanon »

they where ran more than once. quite often infact, as I had a whole half hour of testing them. Are you thinking of the question marks? because these where definately X's.

femanon
Cave Troll

Post by femanon »

wolph42 wrote:Ah right. Crosses means that the id is not there so theres a bug in your code. Can you post it here?
I fully admit I am not a brilliant coder by any means, and well, the work I'm using isn't even mine. I have a vague understanding of what an ID is though, I guess I'll just post the contents from the thread I got it, All I really changed was what I previously said; dropping the token onto the friend's server, uploading the table, and then in addition I changed the number and time spent on each frame, you actually posted in the thread so I'm pretty sure you know about it.

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 7&start=15

I used the campaign file from the OP's post. and simply changed the contents of the table to my own set of images, adjusting the clock rates to run through them faster, as said. Despite being out of my depth, maptool animations are a long standing dream of my gm, so I'm eager to get them working somehow.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Well I've used and tested that code myself so no need to check. I know it works. Hence it must be something else you did. Can you link the campaign file here

femanon
Cave Troll

Post by femanon »

wolph42 wrote:Well I've used and tested that code myself so no need to check. I know it works. Hence it must be something else you did. Can you link the campaign file here
I think its far more likely it's that I didn't do something rather than did something. Either way theres not much point in posting the campaign file, given that the one I had was blank, I very well could post it, but I would like to remind you that it works fine for me, it didn't work fine for the host or the other players. at least in that sense, I would hope that if you detect no problems you would try to find someone else's rig to host it on, but maybe that situation wont even pop up.

Thankyou for your willingness to assist so far.
Attachments
debuganimation.cmpgn
two tokens and two tables on a new file.
(126.3 KiB) Downloaded 20 times

femanon
Cave Troll

Post by femanon »

are things progressing at all or does no one have an interest in assisting me with this?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

i finally had time to have a look at it. Unfortunately I could not reproduce the issue. At my side and the connected client (player) it both worked. \
I did however get an error oncampaignload:
Error running onCampaignLoad on lib:animation :    Error in body of roll.       Statement options (if any): H, macro("exposeTableImages@lib:animation")       Statement Body : "Abishai"
but that did not impede the animation.

Lee
Dragon

Post by Lee »

Checked out fine on my end as well. Try getting everyone on a campaign using the test file you attached here and confirm if they all have a copy of the tables containing the image information, and if they do, if the animation works. This'll help figure things out.

femanon
Cave Troll

Post by femanon »

Lee wrote:Checked out fine on my end as well. Try getting everyone on a campaign using the test file you attached here and confirm if they all have a copy of the tables containing the image information, and if they do, if the animation works. This'll help figure things out.
I thought this might be the issue, but I had no idea to really go about fixing it, since MT tends to have uncommon install locations. I'm surprised it didn't come up sooner since I outlined everything I did (eveeeeeerything.) Regardless since you said as long as they have the image tables, (they don't) it seems like that's probably the issue. the problem comes from, well, where do they put the table information when they have it so maptools will recognize it? my understanding was that uploading the tables to the MT campaign I was connecting to as a GM and then player, hosted by another, would dump said table in everyones cache like a token, what you seem to be saying is otherwise, so how should I go about distributing the tables? I should also note that when loading the cmpgn and hosting it for a demonstration (the one from the original auther, no changes) I did not encounter this issue. Is this because the campaign started with the tables in it?

Lee
Dragon

Post by Lee »

FullBleed mentioned on another thread that, as opposed to how MT normally disseminates image assets, table data is sent upon request. Honestly, I haven't gone over that part of the code in detail since it's something I marked for another time.

There could be a couple of scenarios as to how this goes about, either the table is shared once a client connects, or it could be that information is requested from the game's host, from which it serves all designated clients. If you have the time, could you all try b87? If it works there, this could very well be a bug, but if doesn't, then I guess the right combination has to be struck as to who hosts the server and all the campaign data. I'm neck deep in work right now, but I'll try to look at it this weekend, but if I fail to do so, my next window would be the week after next, unfortunately.

femanon
Cave Troll

Post by femanon »

Lee wrote:FullBleed mentioned on another thread that, as opposed to how MT normally disseminates image assets, table data is sent upon request. Honestly, I haven't gone over that part of the code in detail since it's something I marked for another time.

There could be a couple of scenarios as to how this goes about, either the table is shared once a client connects, or it could be that information is requested from the game's host, from which it serves all designated clients. If you have the time, could you all try b87? If it works there, this could very well be a bug, but if doesn't, then I guess the right combination has to be struck as to who hosts the server and all the campaign data. I'm neck deep in work right now, but I'll try to look at it this weekend, but if I fail to do so, my next window would be the week after next, unfortunately.
well herp de derp. I had completely forgot I there was even a newer version out till you mentioned it. I am using b87, so perhaps its the version that's the problem? its unfortunate that it will take that long. all things considered though, if I were to try and disseminate the table manually, how would i go about doing it?

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

my understanding was that uploading the tables to the MT campaign I was connecting to as a GM and then player, hosted by another, would dump said table in everyones cache like a token, what you seem to be saying is otherwise, so how should I go about distributing the tables?
Tables are server centric judging by the check box options you can see on them, so the server is the only one that needs to have the tables (though you will have to have "allow look-up by players" check marked on the tables.) If the tables aren't already in the campaign that the server loaded, you can export the tables and send them to whoever is serving and have them import them and save the campaign accordingly.

There is a chance that the server *might* require a restart at that point (not sure about that because I've never installed a table after I started a server.)
Lee wrote:FullBleed mentioned on another thread that, as opposed to how MT normally disseminates image assets, table data is sent upon request. Honestly, I haven't gone over that part of the code in detail since it's something I marked for another time.

Not to confuse the issues... but now that I'm looking at it again I wonder if the "Show Table to Players" check box on tables affects this behavior. Probably not, but I usually have this off, so it makes sense that all of the tables wouldn't be disseminated before being accessed (just like assets on maps players don't see aren't disseminated until they access those maps.) It's possible that the table data would be sent to players when they connect to a server if the table was set to "Show Table to Players."
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Return to “MapTool”