MT1.3b87.06 Pathfinder + D&D3.5 Framework

Discussion concerning lmarkus' campaign framework for D&D3.x and Pathfinder.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice, lmarkus001

Forum rules
Discussion regarding lmarkus001's framework only. Other posts deleted without notice! :)
Rahal
Cave Troll

Re: MT1.3b87.06 Pathfinder + D&D3.5 Framework (NEW! Latest V

Post by Rahal »

smartsoldier wrote:First of all I would like to say that this framework is great and a few friends and I just started using it a few days ago. I have just a quick few questions,
1. Is there a way to make Maptools calculate whether an attack hits by comparing the attack roll to the targets AC, by using this framework?
2. As above, but with damage auto-applied as well.
This is something I would like to know as well. Is it possible in the framework? Anyone?

CecaiGuardian
Kobold

Post by CecaiGuardian »

andromada369 wrote:Am I blind or is there no option to change what stat affects damage? Would be useful for people who run dervish dancers or zen archers and the like.
You can put formulas in the damage or attack bonus.
For example, Zen Archers could put 1+WisB-DexB in the attack bonus for a masterwork bow.
smartsoldier wrote:First of all I would like to say that this framework is great and a few friends and I just started using it a few days ago. I have just a quick few questions,
1. Is there a way to make Maptools calculate whether an attack hits by comparing the attack roll to the targets AC, by using this framework?
As of right now, I don't know of any way to do that within the framework. You'd have to make a new macro or edit the attack macro. It'd be really cool, but it'd seem like it'd require so much rewriting, since you'd want to select tertiary+ targets when attacking, and there may be some odd GM-adjucated circumstance bonus, or maybe they put their temporary attack bonus in wrong or something like that.

dungeonlord
Cave Troll

Post by dungeonlord »

Hi everyone!
my group is moving to pathfinder and i was thinking of using this awsome framework but i had a couple of questions:
-i figured out the basic but i suppose there is soo much more to it....is there a tutorial or a guide somewhere?
-are there repository or "simple" way to import monster that are present in the bestiary. Otherwise according to more experienced players what is the fastest way to create a monster with the basic stats (init, attach, damage and HP)

Thanks in advance for the answers

andromada369
Kobold

Post by andromada369 »

CecaiGuardian wrote:
andromada369 wrote:Am I blind or is there no option to change what stat affects damage? Would be useful for people who run dervish dancers or zen archers and the like.
You can put formulas in the damage or attack bonus.
For example, Zen Archers could put 1+WisB-DexB in the attack bonus for a masterwork bow.
As of right now, I don't know of any way to do that within the framework. You'd have to make a new macro or edit the attack macro. It'd be really cool, but it'd seem like it'd require so much rewriting, since you'd want to select tertiary+ targets when attacking, and there may be some odd GM-adjucated circumstance bonus, or maybe they put their temporary attack bonus in wrong or something like that.
Thanks the formulas did the job.

CecaiGuardian
Kobold

Post by CecaiGuardian »

dungeonlord wrote:Hi everyone!
my group is moving to pathfinder and i was thinking of using this awsome framework but i had a couple of questions:
-i figured out the basic but i suppose there is soo much more to it....is there a tutorial or a guide somewhere?
-are there repository or "simple" way to import monster that are present in the bestiary. Otherwise according to more experienced players what is the fastest way to create a monster with the basic stats (init, attach, damage and HP)

Thanks in advance for the answers
If there is a guide, I must have missed it lol
The simplest way would to be use the statblock importer in the setup section. I can't vouch for the accuracy of that because I use D&D 3.5 and it doesn't quite work as well for that. Other than that, you can click on setup blank to quickly add in monsters.

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

Rahal wrote:
This is something I would like to know as well. Is it possible in the framework? Anyone?
Short answer, NO Fing WAY!

Long answer:
Yes I could do some auto damage code. In fact, the Area of Effect frame, and the Evard's Black Tentacles macros do automatically apply damage (and have the requisite saving throws, etc.) But there are SO MANY combat variables, at some point the human factor needs to be added in to make final decisions. I could restrict and make this more of a video game tool, but D&D is not a video game, and the game master needs final adjudication rights.

The variables I mention include (but are not limited too): Damage types: energy (5+ types), physical (5+ types); Attack variables, Defense variables, who am I targetting with what effect, etc.

What can be done with the current framework?
The Combat macro is the ancient core to this framework and has needed a re-write for a couple of years now. But it is very capable and stable and a re-write would be a big effort, so I have not tackled it yet. With that said, you could edit the attack macro and put a link on each of the damage listings, then the person that owns the token that takes damage could select their token and click that link to apply that specific damage. I experimented with this briefly but found that this actually SLOWS down play, as there are often multiple damages which would mean multiple clicks, and it is faster to just add it up in your head and apply the damage.

One of the significant limitations of MapTools is ONLY the owner of a token should modify it. If two people modify the same token, one of the edits (or both) will be lost.

Bottom line: Do the math, use your brain, role-play.

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

I just kill off weirdo variant twerps. This avoids any bothersome coding issues. Heck, lace their drinks with a diarrhetic so they can't stay at the table, this also works...

Ok more seriously:
By default, Strength is used for attack and damage. If the weaponset is configured as a ranged attack, Dexterity is used for attack, and Strength is used for damage (but can be capped).

The "simplest solution" is to subtract out the Strength and add in the new stat. For Example, let's replace Strength with Intelligence:
Attack Modifier: IntB-StrB
Damage: 1d4-StrB+IntB
Cap to STR bonus for damage: Uncapped

deaconabyss
Kobold

Post by deaconabyss »

<html>A stack overflow has occurred.<p>This is commonly because a macro being used has exceeded the stack space specified when MapTool was executed.<br>Please run MapTool again and specify a larger stack size.

Popped everything to 1024/1024/32 and everything between.

Happens everytime I try to edit skills. This is the macro, it popped up in the chat box.

[H, IF("Basic" == tokenType): setPropertyType(system,ids)]

[H: cancel = input(
"tChoice|Core (Level; Stats; BAB; Saves; DR/ER; Race; Feats), Speed/Movement, Skills, Weapons, Activate Mods (toggle effects), Equip Items, Edit Items, Clear All Mods, Armor (Legacy: It is better to use Worn Items), Temp Mods (Legacy: It is better to use Active Mods)|Elements to Edit|RADIO|ORIENT=V"
)]
[H: abort( cancel ) ]

[SWITCH( tChoice ), CODE:
case 0: { [MACRO("editMain@"+tLib): "Page=Main"] };
case 1: { [MACRO("editSpeed@"+tLib): "Page=Speed"] };
case 2: { [MACRO("editSkills@"+tLib): "Page=Skills"] };
case 3: { [MACRO("editWeapons@"+tLib): "Page=Weapons"] };
case 4: { [MACRO( "subMultiModToggle@"+tLib ): "" ] };
case 5: { [MACRO( "subCheckMods@"+tLib ): json.set( "{}", "modType", 1 ) ] };
case 6: { [MACRO( "subModEdit@"+tLib ): json.set( "{}", "modType", 1 ) ] };
case 7: { [MACRO("subClearAllMods@"+tLib): ""] };
case 8: { [MACRO("editArmorLegacy@"+tLib): "Page=Armor"] };
case 9: { [MACRO("editTempMods@"+tLib): "Page=Main"] };
case 10: { [H, MACRO("Spell Main@Lib:spells"): ""] };
case 11: { [H, MACRO("Spell Main@Lib:Magic"): ""] };
default: {}
]

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

first off, dont' up the min memory, leave it at 64, it will only result in forcing java to allocate memory where it isn't needed.
Second. A stacksize *should* not be higher then 2. If its higher then that its result of 'bad' coding. From experience you can raise your stack upto 6 safely (but at great cost of memory, eventually bogging everything down) and there are FW that even require 10. Higher then that is insane.

as for your issue. I don't think its in *that* macro but from one of the macros it calls. I guess one fails, returns a HUGE error message on which this macro chokes. In short: check the log. If you don't know what that means: read the debug article linked in my sig.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I used a stack of 2 for the longest time, but when I upgraded to win7 I found I needed a stack of 3. I think Lindsay also recommends that as well with his newest version. Min should be 64 and I put max at 1024.

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

Yeah 99% of the framework works great with a stack of 2MB, but there are a couple of special functions that under certain data-sets can push that so 3MB is the best. I never use above 3MB.

Make certain you are using Java6 and MapTools 1.3.b87. I have not done extensive testing in b89 as it has some issues that are unacceptable to me. I do await b90 but I think it is hanging out with the documentation to my framework and the rewrite of my attack code...

jacesilverleaf
Kobold

Post by jacesilverleaf »

Hey guys,

This is my first post, and I am relatively new to MapTools, and have been reading up on some of the guides and looking into eventually building my own framework (for a different RPG), and downloaded this one to give me some ideas on how to set about doing it, as it seems to be a very well put together framework (so kudos lmarkus001!). Perhaps my question is stupid, or I have been having a long, idiotic moment, but I'm tired of trying to figure this out on my own.
I had a question I cannot seem to answer on my own: this framework seems to work very well, but all of the macros use the macro call function, accessing a library token. I downloaded the campaign file from the beginning of this post, but it was only a campaign file, no token files. And I cannot seem to find the library tokens anywhere, so I can look at the macro functions. Where can I find these? (such as Lib:libDnD35Pathfinder). The only place I can find these tokens is to download them from previous postings/versions. I cannot find them anywhere on the map that loads at the start of importing the campaign either.
Some help would very much be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

im not sure whether i understand the question, but can't you find any tokens IN the campaign file or are you looking for tokens OUTSIDE of the campaign file??

assuming you opened the campaign file and could not find any: did you check all the maps? there is a button on the top right corner where you swap maps. There's also a 'map explorer' panel which you can open from the menu, this way you can locate tokens that are hard to find (on a local map).

jacesilverleaf
Kobold

Post by jacesilverleaf »

Ah, the switching maps worked, found the map with the tokens on it.
Well, I feel like an idiot now. I didn't think there were other maps with the campaign, so I never touched that button.
Well, I'm gonna go mourn the loss of my intelligence with age, and take a look at the ridiculous amount of macros that are here.
Thanks again!

ssveter
Kobold

Post by ssveter »

Will this framework work on the b89 version?

Return to “D&D 3.5/Pathfinder 1e Campaign Macros”