Gallery Gone, what about my framework?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
MeMeMe
Dragon

Gallery Gone, what about my framework?

Post by MeMeMe »

I haven't used this site in a while. I had a 3:16 campaign framework up on the gallery, what has happened to it?
Also, using the gallery for campaigns was very handy for speeding up loading of assets for players playing in a campaign. Is there any other way to get the same advantage?
MapTools Forks: Thread

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Gallery Gone, what about my framework?

Post by aliasmask »

It may not be gone, but it's not accessible. There was talk of going to another server, but that hasn't happened yet. You'll have to use another online storage like Drop Box. (my referral link)

MeMeMe
Dragon

Post by MeMeMe »

Thanks.
MapTools Forks: Thread

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

aliasmask wrote:You'll have to use another online storage like Drop Box. (my referral link)
Some enterprising MT user should do a comparison between Dropbox, OneDrive (i.e. Skydrive), and GoogleDrive to see which one gets the job done better for MT usage.

A more user friendly interface and better integration with these services would be a good feature in Mote.

I've also always wondered if/when the time might come that they could be used to share an assetcache.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Lee
Dragon

Post by Lee »

Full Bleed wrote: Some enterprising MT user should do a comparison between Dropbox, OneDrive (i.e. Skydrive), and GoogleDrive to see which one gets the job done better for MT usage.

A more user friendly interface and better integration with these services would be a good feature in Mote.

I've also always wondered if/when the time might come that they could be used to share an assetcache.
Personally, I'd go for Google Drive. It's free, has 15GB, supports direct linking, and the version history Dropbox employs.

I might have gotten the idea behind your statement wrong, but people have already successfully shared asset caches over these services. When I fixed FTP for MapTool, my PoC for it was to show how to manage the asset cache and back it up to a local cloud service folder which acts as a repo, using FTP (overkill, I know :lol:)

As for integration in Mote, we'll get there eventually once we reach web services implementation. Hopefully, most of these services' APIs will share things in common enough for an abstract process to made.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Lee wrote:I might have gotten the idea behind your statement wrong, but people have already successfully shared asset caches over these services. When I fixed FTP for MapTool, my PoC for it was to show how to manage the asset cache and back it up to a local cloud service folder which acts as a repo, using FTP (overkill, I know :lol:)
Well, my understanding of how it all works might not be complete.

But I remember the idea coming up awhile ago and there was some concern that a shared assetcache wouldn't update often/fast enough.

The cloud services seemed fine as a repository... but I don't remember the verdict on sharing an actual assetcache.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Lee
Dragon

Post by Lee »

I think it would perform even better. There are several processes involved in working with repos, or making a file suitable for hosting, and these aren't present when dealing with a uncompressed asset collection. With a client for the cloud service running the background, updates to the host are as good as one's upload speed, and the free space has never been better.

I'll have to check that part of the code again. What I don't remember is if it is capable of accessing and handling the contents of a URL location outright, or was specifically written to work with just the archives. If not, I'd prefer writing the stuff for the client-server code first, since this will eventually handle such services.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Lee wrote:
Full Bleed wrote: Some enterprising MT user should do a comparison between Dropbox, OneDrive (i.e. Skydrive), and GoogleDrive to see which one gets the job done better for MT usage.

Personally, I'd go for Google Drive. It's free, has 15GB, supports direct linking, and the version history Dropbox employs.

I might have gotten the idea behind your statement wrong, but people have already successfully shared asset caches over these services. When I fixed FTP for MapTool, my PoC for it was to show how to manage the asset cache and back it up to a local cloud service folder which acts as a repo, using FTP (overkill, I know :lol:)

As for integration in Mote, we'll get there eventually once we reach web services implementation. Hopefully, most of these services' APIs will share things in common enough for an abstract process to made.
I like the ideas of cloud storage, embedded DBs, and Web Service. Good stuff.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Lee
Dragon

Post by Lee »

RPTroll wrote: I like the ideas of cloud storage, embedded DBs, and Web Service. Good stuff.
Thanks RPTroll, I'm sorry to have missed your post! We already have one of those 3 in place, and look forward to writing the other 2.

That was a great interview you had by the way, and nice background!

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Thanks. It was fun.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Return to “MapTool”