Pinning objects in html to certain parts of a frame.

Discuss macro implementations, ask for macro help (to share your creations, see User Creations, probably either Campaign Frameworks or Drop-in Resources).

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

femanon
Cave Troll

Pinning objects in html to certain parts of a frame.

Post by femanon »

I'm the kind of person who likes to make things look good, slick, and otherwise nice, the problem I'm having with this is that in order to apply a list in html with macro links and other necessary things, I'd like to place them nicely on an image backdrop, sadly HTML as shown in a web browser behaves differently for whatever reason, even things that exist in maptools dated engine, and so far I have not been able to get CSS to work at all, it gives me the impression it may be a trusted function or the tutorial on how to deal with forms has been outdated for it to not work.

Does anyone know how to go full control freak on positioning objects within a frame? I dont mind if its time consuming.

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Re: Pinning objects in html to certain parts of a frame.

Post by CoveredInFish »

I'd say you best use a layout table. CSS support of MT is not what a webdesigner is used to.

femanon
Cave Troll

Post by femanon »

a lay out table forces objects to be square like and is fairly inaccurate, is there no other way to get more precision?

JML
Dragon

Post by JML »

I'm afraid you don't have much choice, but advanced users may be able to tell you more on what parts of HTML/CSS are supported. Meanwhile you can check Supported CSS Styles.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I'm not sure if that is up to date. For example, I know the CSS for border-width works. I posted this awhile back:

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 39#p142706

femanon
Cave Troll

Post by femanon »

I'm getting a lot of people mentioning CSS, but no one so far has had any input on wheather it can be used without a trusted macro, as so far the examples given in the frame and form tutorial does not work as I've mentioned before.

I'd be more than happy to use css if I could find out how to get it working without trusted macros.

As a small addendum, I'm also having trouble with storing an html string in a variable and then having it display properly when that variable is called, does anyone know how this is done?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I guess it depends on how and what you're storing and how you display it. The only wonkiness is nesting your quotes incorrectly and tooltips need to be in <html> tags (if they have html inside). Displaying any text, including html doesn't require any special permissions.

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

You might want to show us examples of what you did - what doesnt work.

The examples from the tutorial do work. If you dont get it to work you might be doing something differently.

You can make css work in(almost) any place if you use the style-attribute on html tags. While this is not the webdesigners preferred way it is handy in MT.

femanon
Cave Troll

Post by femanon »

CoveredInFish wrote:You might want to show us examples of what you did - what doesnt work.

The examples from the tutorial do work. If you dont get it to work you might be doing something differently.

You can make css work in(almost) any place if you use the style-attribute on html tags. While this is not the webdesigners preferred way it is handy in MT.
I used macro system provided, the only changes made where to where it called from a token. I made it call from mine rather than a lib token. otherwise when I was testing it everything else was the same.

as for the text with html. all I'm doing so far is taking a bunch of table borders and stuffing them into a variable called at the beginning of a macro, then attempting to use [r:] or [string()] to have the text display, but in the former case the html is invisible and the latter the string throws an error

Return to “Macros”