how does one line up stubborn background objects

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
femanon
Cave Troll

how does one line up stubborn background objects

Post by femanon »

this one has been on my hitlist and I've made no progress in finding out why maptools decides to go hare brained at times and deny me the ability to line up tiles. instead of being aligned on an invisible grid, it seems to line things up for some background objects even though they are the same dimensions and copied from another working tile as though it where on a completely seperate grid. the effect is that corners will never meet edge on and its driving me crazy. I have a lot of tatami tiles to lay.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: how does one line up stubborn background objects

Post by aliasmask »

When dropping tiles on the object or background layer is uses the original size of image. If the image size isn't square then you're have rotation issues. If the size isn't evenly divisible by your grid size then they won't match up by default. You can unsnap and then line up manually. One option would be to resize the image outside of MT or you can set a size in MT so it forces it to fit.

femanon
Cave Troll

Post by femanon »

aliasmask wrote:When dropping tiles on the object or background layer is uses the original size of image. If the image size isn't square then you're have rotation issues. If the size isn't evenly divisible by your grid size then they won't match up by default. You can unsnap and then line up manually. One option would be to resize the image outside of MT or you can set a size in MT so it forces it to fit.
Let me make it clear since it is not. I am not using MT's token grid, the grid reference I made is clearly invisible, while the grid is made visible easily with ctrl g. It is a grid because it is impossible to move objects on the background layers while ignoring this grid. it forces all items to behave as though they whereon a grid, even for resizing.

that said it may be related to the size itself. as I did find out the object I was using while waiting for a reply was out of the correct ratio by a few pixels. never the less, this isn't a problem embodied by the size alone, it has to be maptools related since no corners from the object ever line up correctly on any side to the invisible grid mentioned. it does seem to be related though to fliping objects in general. whatever the cause I hope there is a solution.

Peregrine
Kobold

Post by Peregrine »

Right click on the object and deselect "Snap to grid"?
Also, you can go to Edit/Preferences and under Backgrounds, disable "Start Snap to Grid".

Return to “MapTool”