Force snap to grid rather than center?

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
Fevix
Kobold

Force snap to grid rather than center?

Post by Fevix »

I'm the GM of a campaign, and the format we're using makes 2x2 tokens align to grid, not to center. We're using Roll20 right now, but I'm interested in the advanced scripting that Maptool provides.

However, if Maptool does not allow us to abide by the rulebook (There are also rules regarding tokens being adjacent to other tokens, and actual statistics changes such as flanking bonuses that pertain to this adjacency, that would be very difficult to adhere to with the even-sized tokens snapping to center and essentially gaining an extra size), I cannot transfer over.

Is there a way to override the default behavior and enforce grid-snap over center-snap? At this moment, this is a dealbreaker, but from what I can tell, it's the ONLY dealbreaker.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Force snap to grid rather than center?

Post by aliasmask »

I'm not exactly sure what you're doing with your tokens (using freesize?) but there are 2 things to consider for token placement. First there is the footprint. This is what snaps to the grid and is used for other things like calculating distances and movement. Then there is the image that sits on the footprint. This can be freely manipulated, resized and skewed in relation to the footprint in the config tab using the mouse and scroll wheel.

I'm gong to take a guess and say you're want to use 2x2 squares for your tokens but not size them as large so you can move 1/2 squares and perhaps adapt them to an existing framework? I'm just thinking of the weird stuff that I've tried in the past. I'll expand on this if you can explain why you can't use the "Large" format for your 2x2 tokens.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Fevix wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:50 am
I'm the GM of a campaign, and the format we're using makes 2x2 tokens align to grid, not to center. We're using Roll20 right now, but I'm interested in the advanced scripting that Maptool provides.

However, if Maptool does not allow us to abide by the rulebook (There are also rules regarding tokens being adjacent to other tokens, and actual statistics changes such as flanking bonuses that pertain to this adjacency, that would be very difficult to adhere to with the even-sized tokens snapping to center and essentially gaining an extra size), I cannot transfer over.

Is there a way to override the default behavior and enforce grid-snap over center-snap? At this moment, this is a dealbreaker, but from what I can tell, it's the ONLY dealbreaker.
Yeah, something is amiss here.

Make sure that you have "Start Snap to Grid" checked and "Start Freesize" UNchecked in Edit/Preferences/Interactions/Tokens.

When you drop a token (regardless of its native resolution) it will start out snapped at the "Normal" size (1x1). If you want it to be 2x2, change the token to "Large" (double-click it/Config/Size/Large).

Once you start using MT's advanced scripting you'll be able to automate all of that when you deploy and populate tokens with data.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

You are not accidentally on the wrong layer are you?

I only ask as the snap to grid rules for Objects are slightly different to the object rules for Tokens.

On the Token Layer, things snap to a shape based on the token size. Which defaults to medium and fits you into a single cell.

On the object layer I think things are snapped to grid based upon the image centre. I think, not at home at mo ;)

Return to “MapTool 1.4”