IPV4 is running out

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Seradest
Kobold

IPV4 is running out

Post by Seradest »

First ,sorry for my bad englisch skills

second
here in Germany 3 of the biggest ISP make an forced switch to "voice over ip connection" that mean the old analogue phone calls are not possible any more
but on the other hand many people out side of an city can use 25,50 or more mbit connections.

BUT you cant use IPV4 any more this option is not available only for Business clients for an short time,AFTER this EVERYONE only gets ONLY IPV6

What that means is,not only the ipv4 connections are running out, millions of people cant use ipv4 any more in the next 6 Months.

make it simple,maptools will lose all german players and host in the next 6 Months.

Phergus
Deity

Re: IPV4 is running out

Post by Phergus »

IPv4 has been running out of addresses, not connections, for decades. So that isn't news.

Deutsche Telekom, and possibly others in Germany, supports lw4o6 which will allow IPv4 to continue to function for at least some time though we don't know for sure if MapTool will work over it. I would expect it to but I don't know that this has been tested.

Can you provide a link to an article from one or more ISPs that says they will be discontinuing IPv4 support in 6 months?

In any case, MapTool does need to be updated to be IPv6 friendly and with luck it will be before it impacts too many people.

Seradest
Kobold

Post by Seradest »

we are at telekom and after reciving the new contract we get very fast "over ip" internet but NO dualstack anymore so we only have ipv6
i cant connect to services or websites that only use ipv4

freinds of mine that are GN too ae vodaphone clients and also get the forced switch to "over ip"

in 2019 so said the help service that i called from the telekom ,that nearly all cleints get the "over ip" internet where ipv4 is only an option for business clients not private clients anymore

and my freinds cant use maptools,i dont test it i use roll20

when you say that this is not an problem,why cant ipv6 only user get an connection to the host ?

Nin
Cave Troll

Post by Nin »

Yes, this is a big problem. It was mentioned before viewtopic.php?f=26&t=26898&hilit=ipv6
I see more and more people using Roll20 instead of maptool for that reason. :cry:

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

The biggest problem we face with this at the moment is since none of the developers have an IPv6 connection trying to track down any bugs that cause failures for IPv6 is extremely difficult (the code is not written in a way intentionally excludes IPv6 but if people are saying it doesn't work there must be bugs somewhere).

What would help immeasurably is reports of where/how its failing including error messages produced (if any)
Is it trying to connect to other IPv6 clients? On same LAN/over internet?
Does starting the server fail?
Has anyone tried manual port forwarding on router.
etc.

Its really hard to run with just a general MapTool is not working with IPv6.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

What Craig said.

I'd also like to see any links to articles from the ISPs themselves about what they will and will not support. The IPv6 address space is a large enough that all of IPv4 fits in the bottom ¼ of the address space and IPv6 specifically addresses backward compatibility by claiming IPv4 addresses can be used interchangeably.

Regardless, a router that understands IPv6 externally should still support IPv4 on the LAN side (although it might need to be enabled), converting all local IPv4 addresses to IPv6 addresses a part of its NAT functionality.

If there's a failure in MT at this point, it's likely that our registry service only records IPv4 addresses, so using the registry for players to connect might fail. As Craig says, I would need to see the errors to determine the details.

(It's also possible that our UPNP library (sourced from a third party) may not handle IPv6 addresses internally. And UPNP may even be different for IPv6, I don't know.)

If the problem is the registry, try visiting whatsmyip.com or similar web site, and directing your players to connect directly to your IPv6 address and the port number that you configured to forward to your MT server (assuming UPNP doesn't work for you). When entering an IPv6 address into MT's Connect to Server dialog, you might need to add brackets around the IP address; I'll look that up when I get a chance and post again if I got it wrong. (No brackets needed. See here for the format to use.)
Last edited by Azhrei on Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added link to IPv6 textual representation documentation

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

As an experiment, I just tried it using the IPv6 address from ipconfig, in both 1.4.0.5 and 1.4.5.4 (on Windows 10), connecting from the same machine as the MT server is running on, and was successful both times using the direct connect tab with no issues at all.

Azhrei wrote "When entering an IPv6 address into MT's Connect to Server dialog, you might need to add brackets around the IP address"

I did not. I just copies and pasted it directly out of ipconfig.

I have noticed that the list on the rptools.net tab returns an IPv4 address only. I suspect that, while there may be bugs in MapTool, the bigger issue is using the rptools.net tab, and maybe issues with IPv6 port forwarding on cheap, consumer routers. I'll take a look when I get home to see if I've got an Ipv6 address there (I might, but certainly don't at work), and see what it takes to get port forwarding set up.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Wow, this would really help, taustinoc. Thanks!

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

Assuming I actually have an IPv6 address at home (I'm not at all sure, but I think I do), I can do some comprehensive testing.

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

I have done some testing here at home, where I do, indeed, have a public IPv6 address.

The setup is as follows:

Server running on a Win7 box.

Client connecting from the same Win7 box, and from a different Win8.1 box.

Router is an Asus RT-AC1200 wireless router (which still consumer grade gear, but it's more towards the higher end of it).

I could not try to connect from work because the firewall there does not do IPv6. However.

As with at work, I can connect to a server running on the same computer using the Direct tab, using the IPv6 address of that computer. I can also connect from the other computer using the Direct tab, using the IPv6 address of the server computer.

I can also connect from either computer using the public IPv6 address of the router. (Not all routers support connections to their WAN address from a LAN address, but this one does.) This is a pretty good test of all the pieces that have to work.

The only issue I had was that ipconfig provides several IPv6 address on the Windows 7 computer:

IPv6 Address
Temporary IPv6 address
Link-local IPv6 address

(The first two have the same values on the first four hextets. The last one has completely different values. I have no idea why this is, but from what I can find poking around, it's a default of some sort in a reserved, non-routable range, usable only on the local network.)

Which is confusing. I can connect to the Link-local address from the same computer, but not the other computer. This despite the router's port forwarding being set to the Link-local address (so the router can talk to that address). Which means the Win8.1 box can connect via the router to the Link-local address, but not directly. I ended up connecting (directly) to the first address, the (non-temporary) IPv6 address, and everything worked fine (if a bit slower than with the IPv4 connection, but that may be unrelated to IPv4 vs IPv6).

So far as I can tell, MapTool itself has no issues with IPv6. If I were having trouble connecting via IPv6, I would check the following, in order:

Connect to the server from the same computer. (If this doesn't work, there's an issue with IPv6 on the server, maybe a firewall or just a broken implementation.)

Check to make certain I have a public IPv6 address using https://www.whatismyip.com/ or a similar web site (https://test-ipv6.com/ might offer some insight if you have problems.)

Check the port forwarding on the router.

Check with my ISP to see if they block incoming connections to my account.

If there is someone out there who is having issues, I could probably be convinced to set up my server for them to try to connect to. That can narrow down exactly where the problem is.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Great information Taustinoc. Much appreciated.

What does the Connection Info window return for your server? Does it show the external IPv6 address?

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

Phergus wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:03 pm
What does the Connection Info window return for your server? Does it show the external IPv6 address?
No, it only shows the IPv4 info. Until and unless MT can be updated to pull that info, it will be more trouble using IPv6, because you'd need to check an external web site to find your own public address.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Great stuff — thank you very much!

When I get home this weekend, I will connect two routers together, hooking up one to try WAN port of the other, configuring both to use IPv6 as much as possible. That way one of them can act as the "Internet" for the other and I can play with UPNP and other configurations.

You're correct about the link-local address. It is sort of like the 169.254.x.x addresses that IPv4 uses when no gateway devices or DHCP servers can be found.

I'm not sure I fully understand your paragraph starting with, "Which is confusing." I'll need to reread it a couple times when I have the time (works starts in 4 minutes and I still need to get setup).

Edit: oh, you're right about MT reporting the IPv4 address. That function connects to the RPTools.net web site and asks it to identify where the incoming connection came from. We can probably update the server code without touching MT code in order to correct it (if the web hosting company even exposes IPv6 addresses to us).

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

taustinoc wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:49 am
No, it only shows the IPv4 info. Until and unless MT can be updated to pull that info, it will be more trouble using IPv6, because you'd need to check an external web site to find your own public address.
Too bad. That would have made things a bit easier. Hopefully Az can fix that on the RPTools server side.

Darinth
Dragon

Post by Darinth »

The Link-local address is automatically generated so devices will have IPv6 addresses even if your router doesn't hand them out. Generally I know it's some prefix followed by the interface's mac address I believe. It should be valid for use on your local network, so I don't know why computer 2 wouldn't be able to connect to the server via it. Your router is doing the right thing, recognizing it as a link-local address and routing to it.

The temporary IPv6 address (after a few minutes to research it) is something that windows generates at the request of applications requesting connections through certain methods and appears to be a method of obfuscating connections for privacy reasons.

It's good to know maptool itself seems to support IPv6 just fine. :)
Loyalty is not blind, and it cannot be forced. It is a sincere bond formed out of respect and gratitude.

Return to “General Discussion”