Announcement: MapTool 1.5.0 released

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

Azhrei
Site Admin

Announcement: MapTool 1.5.0 released

Post by Azhrei »

A new build of MapTool is out!

Check out MapTool 1.5.0! It has a huge list of new features (syntax highlighting in the macro editor, anyone?) and merges everything Jamz has done in his "Nerps" fork.

Check out the main site for some background: https://www.rptools.net/2019/03/maptool ... -download/

Woohoo!

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Re: Announcement: MapTool 1.5.0 released

Post by Jagged »

Awesome! :mrgreen:

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Can't wait to take it for a test drive!

Unfortunately, I have a game tomorrow night and don't have time to test and familiarize myself (and players) with it beforehand... :(

Some quick questions:

1) Has Autosave been fixed in this?
2) Has the Alt>Space>Space>Space bomb been fixed? That hit me for the first time yesterday when I was aggressively using the pointer to detail the lay-of-the-land on a map... :/
3) Can we use our own bat/settings file and java installs with this version?

Thanks for the update!
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Answers are in blue bold inside the quoted text. :)
Full Bleed wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:51 am
Can't wait to take it for a test drive!

Unfortunately, I have a game tomorrow night and don't have time to test and familiarize myself (and players) with it beforehand... :(

Some quick questions:

1) Has Autosave been fixed in this? Yes.
2) Has the Alt>Space>Space>Space bomb been fixed? That hit me for the first time yesterday when I was aggressively using the pointer to detail the lay-of-the-land on a map... :/ Yes (a long time ago).
3) Can we use our own bat/settings file and java installs with this version? Yes, but see note, below.

Thanks for the update!
Note: I'm not sure what you want to set, but the current build and all foreseeable future builds will come with their own Java runtime (this maximizes the compatibility). However, there is also a JAR version available for download. If you click the JAR link from the main page (linked above), be sure to read the caveats regarding the Java version. However, there's nothing to stop you from using the same techniques that have been used in the past to run MapTool from the command line, and thus, from a BAT file or shell script. If you choose to use the JAR version, the Startup tab in Preferences will be grayed out (this is where memory settings and other command line options would otherwise be set).

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Installer: exe

I've tried installing multiple times (both on a boot disk root directory and the default directory) and I get a "Failed to launch JVM" message after everything is unpacked and installed. I never see a splash screen.

Fortunately, I am able to uninstall by going into the install directory and running the uninstall exe.

Any ideas?

mt150 jvm fail.jpg
mt150 jvm fail.jpg (23.6 KiB) Viewed 3389 times
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Are you maybe running a 32-bit version of Win10?

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

I've seen one other report of the "Failed to launch JVM" error. As I don't have a Windows box to test with, I'm going to leave this to those who do. :roll:

The other report said that they receive the splash screen but it never progresses any further, and when they try it in Safe Mode, they get the "Failed to launch JVM" message. They had 1.4.0.5 and Java 8 also installed, but changes to Java 8 didn't seem to help (like replacing it with Java 10, for example). I had thought the problem might've been related to their username having a space in it, but they say that their laptop running Win10 executes 1.5.0 just fine, it's only the desktop system that fails. (They have an nVidia graphics card, but turning off all acceleration doesn't seem to help them.) Their report is in this forum thread. (They appear to be running a 64-bit Win10.)

I think a few more people are going to need to report this (or we're going to need to be able to recreate it) for it to be resolved. It's possible that a Java debugging/monitoring tool (like jconsole or VisualVM might be helpful, but we don't expect users to install such tools just to help us debug a problem)...

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Azhrei wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:46 am
I've seen one other report of the "Failed to launch JVM" error. As I don't have a Windows box to test with, I'm going to leave this to those who do. :roll:

The other report said that they receive the splash screen but it never progresses any further, and when they try it in Safe Mode, they get the "Failed to launch JVM" message. They had 1.4.0.5 and Java 8 also installed, but changes to Java 8 didn't seem to help (like replacing it with Java 10, for example). I had thought the problem might've been related to their username having a space in it, but they say that their laptop running Win10 executes 1.5.0 just fine, it's only the desktop system that fails. (They have an nVidia graphics card, but turning off all acceleration doesn't seem to help them.) Their report is in this forum thread. (They appear to be running a 64-bit Win10.)

I think a few more people are going to need to report this (or we're going to need to be able to recreate it) for it to be resolved. It's possible that a Java debugging/monitoring tool (like jconsole or VisualVM might be helpful, but we don't expect users to install such tools just to help us debug a problem)...
To add/compare with the other report:

1) I do have 1.4.0.5 installed and the latest 64 bit Java 8 (update 201.) I launch with a custom bat. I have no other Java installs.
2) Username has no space.
3) Install location doesn't matter (tried both root and default.)
4) Using an AMD graphics card with updated drivers.
5) Running 16 gig Win 10 64 bit OS (all current updates.)
6) Do not see a splash screen. Install directory populates and a .maptool-rptools data directory is created with a few files in it too.
7) None of the logs that I could see indicate any error.
8) Appears to uninstall cleanly using the uninstall from the install directory.
9) Do not have to use taskbar to shut error window. It simply clicks closed.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

The other report is now indicating:
After the discussion on Discord yesterday, I thought I would try again to uninstall Java 8, and install java 10, then run the .jar file directly. So now it is working on my desktop via double clicking the .jar file, but not working with the .exe.
I have not, as yet, attempted this... primarily because I saw that Oracle is no longer supporting Java 10 or releasing security updates for it. Am I wrong in assuming that installing the Java 10 JRE would be a bigger security threat than running MT 1.5.0 with the encapsulated version of it?

Oracle is pretty clear about security risks:
WARNING: These older versions of the JRE and JDK are provided to help developers debug issues in older systems. They are not updated with the latest security patches and are not recommended for use in production.
I don't know what the deal with Java 10 is, but it looks like it only had 3 updates before abandonment... Whereas Java 8 is currently on its 201st update and is still being supported.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Full Bleed wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:05 pm
I have not, as yet, attempted this... primarily because I saw that Oracle is no longer supporting Java 10 or releasing security updates for it. Am I wrong in assuming that installing the Java 10 JRE would be a bigger security threat than running MT 1.5.0 with the encapsulated version of it?
Hm. I've never thought about this.

If you're worried about it, do the only sensible thing: run your applications in a virtual machine or container and roll it back every time you're done with it. :)
I don't know what the deal with Java 10 is, ...
You can read about it on their roadmap (Google it).

<tangent>
Oracle is getting out of the "Java game" in terms of consumers to focus on the enterprise market. Hence, the OpenJDK folks have picked up development and support, particularly for things that the enterprise won't care about, like the JavaFX graphical interface. Both groups are switching to a 6-month release cycle with periodic long-term support releases, which means intermediate releases will only get important bug fixes. We'll switch to Java 12 or 13 once things settle down a bit, and it'll be from the OpenJDK and not Oracle.
</tangent>

Return to “Announcements”