1.5 issue with Mac

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
thelostamerican
Kobold

1.5 issue with Mac

Post by thelostamerican »

Hey everyone. I just updated to map tool 1.5 for IOS and discovered that I can not run two map tools 1.5 at the same time. I did this often in 1.4 to work on a GM screen and a Player screen, however with the new 1.5 version I can only get ONE to run. Any thoughts???

Bhoritz
Giant

Re: 1.5 issue with Mac

Post by Bhoritz »

I have already a problem (on Mac also) with 1.4. I can launch two instances of the program, but if I make one a server, it doesn't appears in the LAN listing of the other instance as it used to do with older versions. So, I can not use a second instance as a display for players as I used to do.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

thelostamerican wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:19 pm
Hey everyone. I just updated to map tool 1.5 for IOS and discovered that I can not run two map tools 1.5 at the same time.
No idea. Under Windows you can launch as many as you like. Will try to get someone with a Mac to take a look.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Bhoritz wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:45 am
I have already a problem (on Mac also) with 1.4. I can launch two instances of the program, but if I make one a server, it doesn't appears in the LAN listing of the other instance as it used to do with older versions.
Which version of 1.4?

Sometimes it can take a minute or two before it will show up in the list.
Bhoritz wrote:
So, I can not use a second instance as a display for players as I used to do.
Of course you can. Even if it never shows up in the list you can go to the direct tab and put in the LAN IP address of your Mac.

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

Bhoritz wrote:
I have already a problem (on Mac also) with 1.4. I can launch two instances of the program, but if I make one a server, it doesn't appears in the LAN listing of the other instance as it used to do with older versions. So, I can not use a second instance as a display for players as I used to do.
You can't open the same app more than once by double clicking on the icon, but you can do so from the terminal, in a mac terminal type
open -n /Applications/MapTool.app

And this will open a new one, (assuming its in /Applications/ if not specify the directory its in)

You can also duplicate the icon (the .app folder) and launch it a seperate MapTool from the second icon

Bhoritz
Giant

Post by Bhoritz »

Yes, I have no problem launching a second instance of Maptool. The problem is that the instance used as a server doesn't appear in the LAN list of servers in the second instance.

It is something new for me on 1.4 (1.4.1.8); I have been using this setup for years with earlier versions of the application.

If I launch two instances of 1.3.b91, the LAN server name still appears in the listing on the client, so, it is not a change in the OS (I upgraded to mojave recently).

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

For a second instance on the same machine, you should be able to go to the Direct tab and type in localhost. If that doesn't work, Connection Information on the File menu will give you the local IP address to put in.

Bhoritz
Giant

Post by Bhoritz »

I am able to connect using localhost. So, it is usable. Thanks for the help.

I think that the problem is that, in the server info window, on the server side, no name appears, though I have given a name when launching it.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Bhoritz wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:02 pm
I think that the problem is that, in the server info window, on the server side, no name appears, though I have given a name when launching it.
It doesn't show the server name on the LAN tab. It shows the GM name.

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

Phergus wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:23 pm
Bhoritz wrote:
Unless there's another server running in the same room, it should be the only thing there - if it shows up at all. Sometimes, it doesn't.

Bhoritz
Giant

Post by Bhoritz »

taustinoc wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:33 pm
Phergus wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:23 pm
Bhoritz wrote:
Unless there's another server running in the same room, it should be the only thing there - if it shows up at all. Sometimes, it doesn't.
OK. Well, then it doesn't show anything, even after rescan or waiting. I was just hoping it was the culprit. I'll just input localhost. Thanks.

Return to “MapTool”