Grids question

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
venger
Giant

Grids question

Post by venger »

Hello.
Thanks for the constant work on maptool.

Ive been drawing some assets to use with maptool to quickly plug a dungeon together, Sort of like geomorphs but more like building blocks

Some assets are multi layer, a building with a floor plan, and a separate roof for instance.

I want to use the Object layer for the roof until the building is explored then can be hidden or deleted

I've been setting the grid in photoshop to 50pix per square and with grid in mt set to 50, the images snap in perfectly on the background layer.

If I drop in the same image on the Object layer, it doesn't align with the grid, and apparently offset by 25 pix.

Is there a setting to change this?

venger
Giant

Re: Grids question

Post by venger »

Btw- I just installed Wolf's bot for the first time, I'm ready to tackle it.

OMG... I should have done that long ago.
So much to it, wow
I don't even know what questions to ask yet, got some vids to see, digging and playing to do.
I'm drooling here so yeah

Under what forum category should I ask q's in for bot?

And I still need to know about my op. Grids
I have a friend I'm introducing to mt and will be sharing the assets I make for him to plug and play his dungeons quickly do he can get to populating it.

And finally, does anyone have a Darksun mt map I could give to my friend? He would become a mt junkie lol

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

venger wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:08 am
Btw- I just installed Wolf's bot for the first time, I'm ready to tackle it.

OMG... I should have done that long ago.
So much to it, wow
I don't even know what questions to ask yet, got some vids to see, digging and playing to do.
I'm drooling here so yeah

Under what forum category should I ask q's in for bot?
Use the BoT thread: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=16066#p170978

You might even want to search it to see if questions you have might have already been asked and answered.

And I still need to know about my op. Grids
If I drop in the same image on the Object layer, it doesn't align with the grid, and apparently offset by 25 pix.

Is there a setting to change this?
Have you checked Edit>Preferences to make sure that assets deployed to the Object and Background layers have the same settings (since you want them to respond accordingly)?
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

As you've found, assets on the Object layer don't snap to the corner and instead snap to the grid cell in the center of the object image. Other than turning off snap for an object you can't make it snap to the corner. The Object layer is meant more for set dressing like chests or furniture.

IIRC, the BoT includes some functionality for handling building roofs.

You can ask questions about BoT here, in the BoT thread or in the Macros sub.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Phergus wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:44 pm
As you've found, assets on the Object layer don't snap to the corner and instead snap to the grid cell in the center of the object image.
Strange... I guess I don't use the object layer much (nope, actually, just checked and it looks like I don't snap objects.) At any rate, this should be probably a preference setting as that doesn't seem like a one-size fits all setting.
Other than turning off snap for an object you can't make it snap to the corner. The Object layer is meant more for set dressing like chests or furniture.
Couldn't they just drop their objects on a layer that reacts the way they want and then move it to the object layer?

Could probably make a macro to do the switch quickly using setLayer if they didn't want to use the context menu.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

I suspect that most folks don't use snap for their objects as it doesn't normally make a lot of sense. A small table with 4 individual stools around it would occupy a 3x3 space if they are snapped.

More flexibility in managing token positioning is certainly a goal so we'll see how it goes as development moves along.
Couldn't they just drop their objects on a layer that reacts the way they want and then move it to the object layer?
Nope. They adapt the snap behavior of the layer.

Easiest way is to put it on the background layer in the right position. Turn off snap and then with either that right-click menu or setLayer() macro, move it to the object layer.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Phergus wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:03 pm
Nope. They adapt the snap behavior of the layer.

Easiest way is to put it on the background layer in the right position. Turn off snap and then with either that right-click menu or setLayer() macro, move it to the object layer.
So a macro that moves the asset from the Token or Background layer (using Wiki: setLayer()) to the Object layer should toggle snap-to-grid off using Wiki: setTokenSnapToGrid() first.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

If you want some stamp aligned to the grid like a background stamp but on one of the other layers then that's the method I've used in the past. Mostly I just put it on whatever layer unsnapped and eyeball it into position.

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

If you zoom in close enough, you can align it to the precise pixel.

venger
Giant

Post by venger »

Thanks for the replies.
An option to change how Object layer snaps in would be nice, and in particular situations a time saver but it's not a huge issue.

I deal with it like mentioned you can accurately stretch assets into position.
Thanks guys

venger
Giant

Post by venger »

-----DELETED STUFF-----

Concerning BOT
I am running a BOT campaign token found on Wolf42's post.
In the chat window, campaign load checks, All items are checked except one;

X This Maptool version does not support automatic vision blocking manipulation, this functionality will be disabled.

Will this prevent me from doing Doors?

PinkRose
Dragon

Post by PinkRose »

I get the same X
I am a special snowflake!

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Venger - the base BoT has a broken version check in it that doesn't know about version 1.5. Look back over the previous messages and you'll see what needs to be fixed.

venger
Giant

Post by venger »

Ok thanks Phergus, I'll do that.
Since this post Ive learned a bit more and BOT is great. I now know how to install a basic set of features into existing campaigns to add teleport and event pads for now and expand as needed.
I've long wanted event pads that trigger Text, but that and more...... Its a thing of beauty

I took some time to research with vids and reading, and beginning to understand its all about how the tokens inter-relate and when everything is in the right place .... nice bag of tricks!

Return to “MapTool”