Problem with Resource Library, too big

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

wisewolf
Cave Troll

Problem with Resource Library, too big

Post by wisewolf »

I downloaded a big pack of textures and assets for maptool, and included them into the resource library. As soon as I open the main directory, The memory used by Maptool goes up to almost 4 GB. I don't even add any texture nor object to the map, but Maptool seems to load all of them.

Is there any way to avoid them to be fully loaded?

wisewolf
Cave Troll

Re: Problem with Resource Library, too big

Post by wisewolf »

In the end, Maptool gives me an error that I can't read because the window is blank.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

So, is everything in one folder or does it have subdirectories? I have multiple pretty large libraries and haven't had a problem. I haven't loaded new one in awhile, so it could be a new bug with how things are loaded. For example, I know it now reads pdf and extracts those images. Do you have any pdfs in your library?

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

aliasmask wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:36 pm
So, is everything in one folder or does it have subdirectories?
I suspect that's the issue. My MapTool asset folder has about 30,000 files totaling about 50 GB in it, and it loads fine in 1.5.6. But it's not all in one folder. Those folders that have a lot of individual files in them load a lot slower when I go into them.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Just one of my repositories called images is 12GB and 57k files.

MT doesn't load everything, but it will try to cache the latest folder. I wouldn't worry about the memory use because the garbage collection takes care of that. The Library window won't even load all the images unless displayed in the panel. Sometimes, you need to adjust the panel for the images to show up like with the scaling bar on the left or by adjusting the divider between the file tree and images.

edit: Btw, I almost never use the MT file explorer and just use Windows. Better display and search feature, then you just drag'n drop.

krevett
Cave Troll

Post by krevett »

My asset folder is about 40gb too divided in subfolder and memory goes up to 500mb when loading a large folder on an empty map. Only with jpg and png. If i load a pdf memory usage goes much higher (2gb for a 20mb pdf...) so i avoid using pdf, perhaps that's the same problem for you?

wisewolf
Cave Troll

Post by wisewolf »

Yes, definitely it was the problem, too many files without subfolders.

I tried to close the program when it was overloaded, asked me to save the campaign, said Yes, and now it never finish to save it. What can I do? Will I loss the campaign if I force closing? Should I wait longer? Have I lost my campaign? :cry: :cry: :cry:

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Depends. You can wait, but how much will you lose if you don't save? You can check the autosave and backup folder right now and copy what's there to another folder (autosave is cleared at some point).

wisewolf
Cave Troll

Post by wisewolf »

where can I find the autosave folder?

wisewolf
Cave Troll

Post by wisewolf »

I forced closing and opening again with no problem. This teaches me a thing...make backups!! :roll: :roll:

Anyway I can't find an autosave folder

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Mine is under: C:\Users\Chris\.maptool-rptools\autosave

wisewolf
Cave Troll

Post by wisewolf »

There it is. Thanks. autosave is blank. Backup seems to have the files.

Return to “General Discussion”