Help with broken campaign file

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
devilman
Kobold

Help with broken campaign file

Post by devilman »

Hi everyone, hope tha someone can help me.
I have tried to open a saved campaign file (you can find it here: http://www.filedropper.com/sw2) resulting with this error in image 1
The attachment 1.png is no longer available
I then tried to pen the file as a zip and 7zip (not winzip o winrar) succesfully onend the file showing the content (errors shwed in image 2)
2.png
2.png (211.39 KiB) Viewed 1039 times
I then tried to rezip everything, but when trying to open it maptool gave me the errore in image 3.
The attachment 1.png is no longer available
I also tried to repair the zip file with tools i found on the net, but when i tried to open it i had the same errors (image 3).
Can someone help me?
thanx in advance.
Attachments
3.png
3.png (391.22 KiB) Viewed 1039 times

devilman
Kobold

Re: Help with broken campaign file

Post by devilman »

wolph42 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:48 am
the last message looks like a version conflict. In which MT version was the campaign file last saved?
the ione used in that image to open it… (1.4.1.8)
almost (almost) sure :D

devilman
Kobold

Post by devilman »

btw, this is image 1 not available in the first post.
1b.png
1b.png (229.68 KiB) Viewed 1012 times

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

That's a lot of crc errors... so that means that the file is very corrupted.

I fixed the CRC errors and built a new zip campaign file (losing about a third of the original campaign file size) but was still not able to open the file. I suspect that damage to the content.xml file is the biggest problem... and fixing that at the level this probably needs is above my paygrade.

FYI, the number one reason for generating a corrupted campaign file is when the file is saved in a low memory situation. What memory settings are you using?
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

pucksolliqy
Kobold

Post by pucksolliqy »

I'm not sure. i don't use the online tools. I use the tool to create the maps and host games connected directly to my computer. mot of my buddies dont even bring computers to run their characters.

How do i check?

IN the Preferences>Startup: JVM memory settings: Thread Stack Size (-Xss) is 4 M
the other settings (Minimum Heap and Initial & minimum Heap) are blank
Is that the right place to look?

devilman
Kobold

Post by devilman »

Full Bleed wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:38 am
That's a lot of crc errors... so that means that the file is very corrupted.

I fixed the CRC errors and built a new zip campaign file (losing about a third of the original campaign file size) but was still not able to open the file. I suspect that damage to the content.xml file is the biggest problem... and fixing that at the level this probably needs is above my paygrade.

FYI, the number one reason for generating a corrupted campaign file is when the file is saved in a low memory situation. What memory settings are you using?
2 or 3 hours after i posted the file the entire Usb pen broke, a lot of data lost!
So I think the corrupted campaign file was only a warning of the disaster to come.
:cry: :cry: :cry:

metatheurgist
Dragon

Post by metatheurgist »

Backup. Backup. Backup. I pre-prepped for my next stint as GM, with 3 campaign files ready to go. There are copies sitting on dropbox, on a usb stick and 2 copies of each campaign file sitting on my machine ready to go. :mrgreen:

Return to “MapTool”