1.6.1 will not launch - Failed to Launch JVM

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Elorebaen
Dragon

1.6.1 will not launch - Failed to Launch JVM

Post by Elorebaen »

Hello!

I have been using 1.6.1 since its release with know problem, then as of a few days ago I have not been able to launch it due to the error, "Failed to Launch JVM". Tried with the new 1.7 build, same thing. It seems that any Maptool build with the bundled java is not launching.
JVM launch error
JVM launch error
2020-04-21_21-15-48.png (5.52 KiB) Viewed 1451 times

My system: Win10, 16 gb RAM

What I have done:
  • Removed AV software
  • Uninstalled/Reinstalled Maptool multiple times
  • Removed Maptool related folders in Users
  • Edited/deleted the jvmuserargs.cfg file
  • Tried to start after Safe Boot
I am currently dead in the water, so any insight/assistance would definitely be appreciated. Thanks!

Phergus
Deity

Re: 1.6.1 will not launch - Failed to Launch JVM

Post by Phergus »

A question I don't recall anyone asking on Discord, did you update a Java install on your system? Did you add or remove any new ones?

A bad path can do this. Check both the user path and the system path and make sure there aren't any old Java install directories in the path list. As you still have an MT 1.4 install, you'll need to keep the Java version it is using there.

Elorebaen
Dragon

Post by Elorebaen »

Heya Phergus :)

Thanks for the reply! I have not touched java since 1.7, unless something sneaky happened. When you say user and system path, what are you referring to? What path (s) are you referring to?

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

Open up a Windows Explorer window and right click on "This PC." This will open the System window.

In the menu on the left, click on "Advanced system settings." This will open the System Properties window.

On the Advanced tab, click on the button at the bottom labeled "Environment Variables."

In the bottom window, you'll see a bunch of "System variables," one of which will be Path.

If you select Path and click on Edit, it will open up a window showing all the of locations on the Path.

Be very careful messing with this stuff, or you can bork Windows badly.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

As taustinoc says, be careful. You may see a Path variable in the top section as well. What you are looking for is any lines that are java related so the strings java, jre, jdk.

Make sure any of those actually point to valid directories.

Elorebaen
Dragon

Post by Elorebaen »

Thanks T and P! I got it working with the help from a number of our fellow community members that you can see in Discord. Basically we all finally found the right alchemical cocktail!

I installed java 10, and changed the java path via environmental variables in the system setting.

Seems to be working fine now. I have no idea what caused the issue in the first place, though.

Thanks again for your help!!

Return to “MapTool”