Campaign i saved 1 hour ago, can't open it now

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
xavram
Dragon

Campaign i saved 1 hour ago, can't open it now

Post by xavram »

When I try to open a campaign file that I just closed an hour ago, I'm getting this...

Could not load campaign.
java.util.zip.ZipException: zip END header not found

Any suggestions? I have a game coming up in one hour!

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Campaign i saved 1 hour ago, can't open it now

Post by aliasmask »

That's not good. Not sure what would cause it. Maybe use a zip repair tool online?

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

Heh, when the maptool gurus say "that's not good", my stomach gets queasy...

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

the ".cmpgn" file is just a zip file, right?

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

xavram wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:40 pm
the ".cmpgn" file is just a zip file, right?
Yes. Rename it to a zip file and try using a zip repair tool on it. That might help you get it open, but you should expect some corruption.

There are many reasons why a file might be corrupted, but the one that seems to come up most often is having low memory settings. When MT saves a file it spikes memory usage. That can put you in a "red zone". What memory settings are you using?

You should also look in your autosave folder and see if there is an uncorrupted copy. Might be worth just using that.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

Memory settings are max 4G, min 1G, stack size of 5M.

I looked in autosave folder, same issue on that file, corrupted as well. That only saves one file right? There's no history there.

Tried running a zip repair tool on campaign, said it worked...but still didn't open in Maptool and I knew it wasn't going to be right since the file size dropped from 140 megs to 67 megs.

I can live without the work I've done on a couple of maps but losing all the work I did on my library token over the past week is just a killer. Any other thoughts on how i might just get that out of this mess?

Merudo
Giant

Post by Merudo »

xavram wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:59 am

I looked in autosave folder, same issue on that file, corrupted as well. That only saves one file right? There's no history there.

Tried running a zip repair tool on campaign, said it worked...but still didn't open in Maptool and I knew it wasn't going to be right since the file size dropped from 140 megs to 67 megs.

I can live without the work I've done on a couple of maps but losing all the work I did on my library token over the past week is just a killer. Any other thoughts on how i might just get that out of this mess?
Can you extract content.xml? That's where all the macros are.

Also, have you looked in the .maptool-rptools\backup directory?

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

I had checked the backup folder, but what was in there was a much older file copy of the campaign.

When I ran the zip file repair on the corrupted campaign, it turned the content.xml file into a folder...which was empty.

Maybe I'm not using a good zip repair utility? Can anyone recommend one to try?

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

what about the assetcache directory? Would there be any way to get the library token out of that?

I'm obviously swimming in unfamiliar maptool waters here...never had a campaign file blow up like this.

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

I finally found a zip repair utility that restored the content.xml file...while not perfect, this at least gives me a starting point to recreate what I lost from the library token.

Thanks for advice/insight all!

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

xavram wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:59 am
You might want to try going with 6G for awhile with that campaign going forward. Though, to be honest, the only time I've ever taxed 4G is when using really large table databases.
Yeah. I was hoping that it would have been pre-corruption for you. :/
The one I've used successfully is Disk Internals Zip Repair: https://www.diskinternals.com/zip-repair/

What did you end up using that worked?
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

DiskInternals didn't work for me, it was called DataNumen Zip repair that finally did the trick.

Return to “MapTool”