Token repository

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Mapes
Kobold

Token repository

Post by Mapes »

Hey folks so...heres the deal

I have one group I play with. We have two DnD 5e games run by two different GM's in the group. I have a pretty fast pipe to my home and a linux box. I did setup one instance of maptools following the maptool headless directions....kudos to whomever wrote that. Great directions.

So what i want to do is basically be a maptools provider for my two GM's . I can totally run two instances of maptool headless and thats fine and no prob. I did go out and find huge libs of character and monster tokens. What I want to do is provide a repo for just tokens across both instances.

So on my test headless instance I munged the files in the Token default and added two sub dirs. I then tried exporting the campaign repo file and then serve that up. However the file is way to small and clients get nothing adding the repo.

What am I missing

Phergus
Deity

Re: Token repository

Post by Phergus »

You're missing that campaign repos and the resource library are two separate things. Repos only have the content of the campaign when you export it. Assets in the Resource Library aren't automatically part of the campaign until they are used on a map are put in a table.

Mapes
Kobold

Post by Mapes »

Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way. One of my DM is in a rural area so his connection is not great also I'd like to make it easy on the players to sort through tokens.

I'd like to make repo of a ton of maps and tokens and host it in S3 or where ever. So the client take advantage of that faster pipe.

Is there a macro that would drop all 6k tokens on a map or maps so I could export that and use it as a mega repo. That is if I dont run into perform issues

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

No macro functions that will populate a map with content from the Resource Library. Macro functions only operate on the content of a campaign.

You could just select all and the drag-n-drop from a file explorer to a map in MapTool. This will pile them all on top of each other but that may not matter for your purposes. You could write a macro that would unstack them.

Having the rural DM use a remote repo is certainly a good idea but they aren't mean to be part of the Resource Library. Just a way to offload the delivery of image assets to a server that is better able to deliver the content to the player clients.

There is probably a way to leverage the use of some type of remote library hosting such that the rural DM doesn't have to worry about creating/upload repo files but I'm not coming up with much.

Mapes
Kobold

Post by Mapes »

Yeah so I was hoping to host the server in AWS running it "headless". Then have the DM connect to that instance as a DM. However the resource library is not synced. So question if every player/DM has the all of the maps and tokens in their resource library NOT by a repo. Lets say I make a zip file and give them directions to download and install it in the right location. So everyone has an exact duplicate resource lib. Maptrool will still push the resource from the DM's machine right? Unless I make a repo...

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Mapes wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 1:16 pm
...So everyone has an exact duplicate resource lib. Maptrool will still push the resource from the DM's machine right? Unless I make a repo...
Would only need to get the zipped resource lib to the DM. Everyone else would get it from the matching repo.

Mapes
Kobold

Post by Mapes »

Ok I think I see since the campaign file has some way of identifying assets it passes those ...let's say hashes off to the client who then pulls them from the repo.

Hmm I could side step this whole thing if his connection is good enough to the nearest aws region and he can just run xpra directly and the clients will pull from that aws instance...

Also thanks for clarifying

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Mapes wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:02 pm
Ok I think I see since the campaign file has some way of identifying assets it passes those ...let's say hashes off to the client who then pulls them from the repo.
Yup. The asset IDs are unique to the file and they are used in the campaign itself to reference the image.

Create a New campaign with a map image and one token. Save that out. Open the saved campaign file in a zip utility and you can see the content.xml file plus the two assets in the assets folder.

Mapes
Kobold

Post by Mapes »

Ok odd question has anyone made a tool to programtically create the campaign file? Like just point it at a directory of images and have it create it instead of going through the ui?

Mapes
Kobold

Post by Mapes »

What would be awesome is a Dynamo DB with the asset id being the Key and the actual graphic file the Value....

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Folks have created token files programmatically but I'm not sure about campaign files.

Return to “MapTool”