Weird behavior of text labels in screenshot

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Zahariel
Kobold

Weird behavior of text labels in screenshot

Post by Zahariel »

I'm trying to make and screenshot an "overland" map for my players to use throughout my campaign. I'm using the Object layer for landmarks and things, and the Token layer for a single token representing the party. This mostly works well in screenshots: I turned "Show Token Names" on and make sure to take screenshots while having the Object layer selected, and it displays the names of landmarks as I desired.

However, I discovered a strange behavior: even though the landmarks are in the Object layer, their names are apparently part of the Token layer. So when I try to take a screenshot with the Token layer turned off (to capture the whole map without a location for the players), it doesn't display any of the names either. This really doesn't make sense to me? It seems like this is part of the general weirdness of displaying text labels.

Additionally, this only happens in Export Full Map (instead of Current View) mode, because the layer checkboxes in Export Screenshot As... simply don't seem to do anything in Current View mode, so the entire problem is just avoided. You can turn them off, but it doesn't matter: all layers are included regardless. (Of course that means I can't get a Current View without Tokens, but I didn't really want that anyway.)

Is there a good way to get a full-map screenshot, with labels for things in the Object layer, but without the Token layer? I realize in my case I can just delete the players' token temporarily since there's only one, but that seems like a terrible solution.

Return to “MapTool”