MapForge (battlemap-making software)

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

heruca
Dragon

Re: MapForge (battlemap-making software)

Post by heruca »

Doh! I just realized that the post preceeding mine is a spam-bot post, which simply re-posted a snippet from something I myself wrote on the first page of this thread. I hope some admin takes a moment to nuke the bot account.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Yeah, I was 90% sure it was a bot.

heruca
Dragon

Post by heruca »

My latest Kickstarter campaign should interest GMs of sci-fi RPGs like Traveller and Starfinder. It ends in 2 hours, and needs about 10 more backers to get funded. I hope some of you will check it out.

heruca
Dragon

Post by heruca »

Sadly, my last two content development Kickstarter campaigns (for Modern Day and for Sci-Fi mapping content) were a bust, so I'm doing something different this time around.

I'm trying to kickstart an all-new app, called TileForge. I hope some of you will check it out.

heruca
Dragon

Post by heruca »

The Stretch Goals for the campaign have now been announced, in this KS Update.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

heruca wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:59 pm
Sadly, my last two content development Kickstarter campaigns (for Modern Day and for Sci-Fi mapping content) were a bust, so I'm doing something different this time around.

I'm trying to kickstart an all-new app, called TileForge. I hope some of you will check it out.
Though I haven't even been using my MapForge license, I probably would have supported your efforts here if it had been an expansion of MapForge and not an entirely new app. There are a lot of good map making apps out there... and MapForge could have used this functionality to gain some traction and to better compete.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

heruca
Dragon

Post by heruca »

FullBleed, out of curiosity, what specific functionality do you think MapForge is currently missing? It can make top-down maps, hex-tile maps, isometric maps, and edit Donjon-generated maps. It offers over 50 free mapping content Add-Ons (~7400 assets), and a ton of paid Add-Ons to choose from, covering all major genres. Given all that, I think it's already quite competitive with most of the other apps out there (especially the ones where you have to pay every month or year).

FYI, I do have plans for expanding on MapForge in the future (perhaps this November).

heruca
Dragon

Post by heruca »

Just a reminder that today is the last day of the TileForge Kickstarter campaign. It's a mere $400 away from being funded.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

heruca wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 5:18 pm
FullBleed, out of curiosity, what specific functionality do you think MapForge is currently missing? It can make top-down maps, hex-tile maps, isometric maps, and edit Donjon-generated maps. It offers over 50 free mapping content Add-Ons (~7400 assets), and a ton of paid Add-Ons to choose from, covering all major genres. Given all that, I think it's already quite competitive with most of the other apps out there (especially the ones where you have to pay every month or year).

FYI, I do have plans for expanding on MapForge in the future (perhaps this November).
I haven't been using any of the map-making apps (I almost always use photoshop), so I can't say what it's missing. I can say that I don't hear it mentioned like I do some of the others out there (for example, I don't think I've ever seen someone explicitly mention that they used MapForge to make a map on the major map sharing reddits.) So that tells me that it needs to try and do something the other guys don't... and the tile-forge ability sounds like it might have given it some bragging rights.

Out of curiosity, does MF export to the UVTT format? https://arkenforge.com/universal-vtt-files/
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

heruca
Dragon

Post by heruca »

Saving maps to UVTT format is one of the things I'd like to add to MapForge (I only recently learned of this format, sounds useful).

In-app management of content Add-Ons is another. That's become a real issue, now that there are literally hundreds of content Add-Ons.

heruca
Dragon

Post by heruca »

I'm happy to report the TileForge has achieved its funding goal, with just 5 hours to spare.

heruca
Dragon

Post by heruca »

Just a quick follow-up to my prior post:
TileForge is now available to the general public from here, for those who missed the Kickstarter campaign.

Oh, and I have a new Kickstarter campaign going for anyone interested in isometric map-making. It ends in 3 days.

heruca
Dragon

Post by heruca »

The above-mentioned KS campaign just funded, with 2 hours to spare. Hooray!

heruca
Dragon

Post by heruca »

Whether you want to make street maps for your Supers RPG campaign, interior maps for your d20 Modern game, or post-apocalyptic urban maps for your zombies game, check out this Kickstarter and help make it happen.

And even if Modern Day mapping isn't your thing, this campaign is also a great way to pick up a MapForge license at a discount, in case you want to make fantasy or sci-fi maps, instead.

heruca
Dragon

Post by heruca »

Update: Now less than $600 away from being funded.

I put together this YouTube playlist to easily preview all the new mapping assets (in better quality than on the Kickstarter campaign page).

Return to “General Discussion”