Space Hulk for MapTool

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

jamz
Kobold

Space Hulk for MapTool

Post by jamz »

Hi all,
I resized and tokenized some contents from the various space hulk sites. It's now possible to play it with maptool. Rules are included. Check out my album and post any suggestions.

P.S.: Perhaps someone can help me with finding some topdown views of Space Marine Terminators? models or painted images..

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Though I don't know for certain if they would what you need, but the first place to check would be rpgmapshare.com.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Mrugnak
Dragon

Re: Space Hulk for MapTool

Post by Mrugnak »

jamz wrote:P.S.: Perhaps someone can help me with finding some topdown views of Space Marine Terminators? models or painted images..
I'll see if I can talk my husband into taking some for you. Do you care about the colour scheme? >.>

EDIT I've asked. I haven't got a firm answer out of him, but he has terminators, loved the old Space Hulk game (and the video game), and has a nice camera and sometimes like to play with macro shots.

Odds are good?

jamz
Kobold

Post by jamz »

Thank you both,
I think the colour scheme is not so important. ...
Perhaps best would be plain white painted miniatures, because then anyone could add a custom colour scheme to them with photoshop.. I coloured a top view Genestealer and it looks pretty good I think.
But I would be happy with any top view terminators.

canisPRIME
Kobold

Post by canisPRIME »

Sorry to revive an old thread but i'm extremely curious as to how you handle the blip tokens in space hulk using map tool. Is there some way to have double sided tokens that can be flipped to reveal the number of stealers on the blip. Or do you record the number of stealers in the token info? If so couldn’t the marine player just as easily check how many are under each blip?

I’m quite interested in trying to play some games of space hulk using maptool but unsure how to proceed with the blips. I thought maybe just randomly determining how many when the stealer player converts a blip, but that puts the stealer player at a bit of a disadvantage really.

I guess I could always go with an honesty policy, but knowing the cheesy people I often end up playing with I just know they couldn’t resist temptation to ‘better’ their odds :D

jamz
Kobold

Post by jamz »

I think you simply have to trust the other player. (I wouldn't like to play with players I can't trust anyway.) He could cheat in a real game too, so I think it is appropriately modelled with the Blip Size in the Blip-Tokens Info. Just tell your player to not to look, when you double-click and watch the randomly processed value in the Blip Info/Properties, or if you play over internet to never look at the Blips.

IF you REALLY have a problem with trusting the other player, you could try a house-rule, that will trade your potential for bluffing (which depends on a trustable marine player) with brute force.
++ you will get more blips per round (perhaps one?)
++ you are encouraged to use ambush counters (perhaps more than 1 per round and 2 at the same time?)
++ you will create the blip size when you reveal the blip, so that neither your nor the marine player will know the size before conversion.

I personally use macros and house rules. (You can see at the 3rd edition, there were some small rule-changes from 1st Ed. rules, just to make it fit to the newgame contents, for example command points and timer changes due to the "unflexible" sand-timer. I think you can introduce some maptools-house-rules, which wouldn't break the game, nor the spirit of the game.)
One of them is: Blip sizes are created randomly. (0-6, like in 2. Ed.) I think this doesn't turn out to be a disadvantage for the Stealer. It does increase the deviation while it maintains the same average value (approximately 2 Stealer per Blip). Increased deviance means the Stealer Player could get 2 Blips with 6 Stealers in one turn or could have more
than 3 Zero-Blips on the map at the same time, both are impossible in any official Space Hulk edition. One advantage for the Stealer is that it allows him to bluff more. The only disadvantage that comes to mind to me is that he couldn't employ a strategy to get small-value Blips to the board and high-value-Blips to the stack, after reshuffling.

The following macro will
++ handle any Basic-Property-token as a Blip and give it Blip-Properties. You have to make a Property-Set called "Blip", with the Variable "Stealer".
++ It will create a random number for this variable, but only once (/while the variable "Stealer" is empty.)
++ It will create a different number for "Stealer", if the Token has an activated state, called "Ambush". (I suggest to create this state with a red-colored image of the token, which would then overlay the token.)

[h,if(getPropertyType()=="Basic"): setPropertyType("Blip")]
[h, if(Stealer==""), CODE:
{
[h, if(getState("Ambush")), CODE:
{
[h:rdm=1d6]
[h:Stealer=0]
[h, if(rdm==5): Stealer = 1]
[h, if(rdm==6): Stealer = 1]
};
{
[h:rdm=d28]
[h, if(rdm==1): Stealer = 1]
[h, if(rdm==2): Stealer = 1]
[h, if(rdm==3): Stealer = 1]
[h, if(rdm==4): Stealer = 1]
[h, if(rdm==5): Stealer = 1]
[h, if(rdm==6): Stealer = 1]
[h, if(rdm==7): Stealer = 1]
[h, if(rdm==8): Stealer = 1]
[h, if(rdm==9): Stealer = 1]
[h, if(rdm==10): Stealer = 2]
[h, if(rdm==11): Stealer = 2]
[h, if(rdm==12): Stealer = 2]
[h, if(rdm==13): Stealer = 2]
[h, if(rdm==14): Stealer = 3]
[h, if(rdm==15): Stealer = 3]
[h, if(rdm==16): Stealer = 3]
[h, if(rdm==17): Stealer = 3]
[h, if(rdm==18): Stealer = 3]
[h, if(rdm==19): Stealer = 3]
[h, if(rdm==20): Stealer = 3]
[h, if(rdm==21): Stealer = 3]
[h, if(rdm==22): Stealer = 3]
[h, if(rdm==23): Stealer = 0]
[h, if(rdm==24): Stealer = 0]
[h, if(rdm==25): Stealer = 0]
[h, if(rdm==26): Stealer = 4]
[h, if(rdm==27): Stealer = 5]
[h, if(rdm==28): Stealer = 6]
}]
}]

This one is a nice addon, a macro for blip conversion (You will have to create a "Stealer"-state, which overlays Blip-Token and Ambush-Blip-state):

[h, if(Stealer > 0):setState("Stealer", 1)]
[h, if(Stealer > 1):copyToken(currentToken(), Stealer-1)]

booga
Dragon

Post by booga »

Great job Jamz !

the new SH 3rd edition gallery is gorgeous. By any chance, can you make the whole album downloadable in one sitting. Right now we have to get everything one by one.

Thanks !

jamz
Kobold

Post by jamz »

Hi Booga,
Thank you too! I never knew that other people cannot download the whole album, i fixed it. If you like this gallery (which is not finished yet, I hope) try CRasterimages Tilemaker program, from warseer.com. It's very nice and ideal for maptool.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217976

booga
Dragon

Post by booga »

Neato,

thanks Jamz. I did know about Tileset, and there are also other Tilesets (more Fantasy oriented, and a Doom one as well) you can get for the app. It's a really neat tool. I played a bit with your SH Framework and it's works nicely. Make sure to post when you get it updated.

Take care,

ForAiur
Kobold

Post by ForAiur »

Hi guys, do the files still exist? I would love to create a sized-down travel version of my First edition Space Hulk.

Return to “User Creations”