Thoughts on first release.

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

Phergus
Deity

Thoughts on first release.

Post by Phergus »

Nice looking app. I like the two views.

Timers and wait states are nifty if a little geeky in name.

Also calling each entity in the list an "item" is a bit clunky sounding.

Bravo on putting in the ability to set font and font size!

Double-click on an entry in the list should open an the edit dialog for that entry.

Display of player name should be optional.

In Table View would like player name to be left justified though it's not a big deal.

Need: Ability to define iniative die roll e.g. 1d10, 1d6, 3d6. Make sure it can also accepts 1d1 (a one sided dice) so that initiative is effectively the entities modifier. Either globally or per critter is fine by me.

Need: Ability to reorder the list for entities with the same Initiative Value. Click and drag within the list would be great.

Excellent first release overall! :D

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Would be good if it tracked time for the encounter. IT will need to now how long a combat round is i.e. it needs some place fo the GM to define how long a round is in seconds. The time would then be displayed on the app somewhere in HH:MM:SS.RR. Being able to set the start of an encounter as taking place at 10:53 in the morning would be nice.

jay
RPTools Team

Re: Thoughts on first release.

Post by jay »

Phergus wrote:Nice looking app. I like the two views.

Sorry, I'm a geek :wink:. What do you think they should be called? I'm not stuck on the naming, I was just trying to make it fairly generic.
Phergus wrote: Double-click on an entry in the list should open an the edit dialog for that entry.
This will be in the next build.
Phergus wrote: Display of player name should be optional.
You can turn this on & off in the view menu.
Phergus wrote: In Table View would like player name to be left justified though it's not a big deal.
Creatures that are not in a wait state are aligned to the left. If a creature has a wait state it is aligned to the right. All timers are centered. This was done to show the GM that the creature & timer are not acting. You can turn the alignment off using the view menu. When it is off, all items are aligned to the left.
Phergus wrote: Need: Ability to define iniative die roll e.g. 1d10, 1d6, 3d6. Make sure it can also accepts 1d1 (a one sided dice) so that initiative is effectively the entities modifier. Either globally or per critter is fine by me.
I've added a tracker for this.
Phergus wrote: Need: Ability to reorder the list for entities with the same Initiative Value. Click and drag within the list would be great.
You can do this by using the move up and move down options in the edit menu. I've added a tracker to allow this to be done using drag and drop.
Phergus wrote: Excellent first release overall! :D

Thanks!

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Phergus wrote:Would be good if it tracked time for the encounter. IT will need to now how long a combat round is i.e. it needs some place fo the GM to define how long a round is in seconds. The time would then be displayed on the app somewhere in HH:MM:SS.RR. Being able to set the start of an encounter as taking place at 10:53 in the morning would be nice.
I've added a tracker for this. I'm thinking that the timer would replace the round counter, or would you want both at the same time?

Phergus
Deity

Re: Thoughts on first release.

Post by Phergus »

jay wrote:
Phergus wrote:Nice looking app. I like the two views.

Sorry, I'm a geek :wink:. What do you think they should be called? I'm not stuck on the naming, I was just trying to make it fairly generic.
Not sure. It just read more like I was in an app for editing a Unix crontab file than a gaming tool. :)

Timer probably isn't that bad though the terms like events, pending events, timed events come to mind. I don't know. Probably fine as is.

Items just seems too generic a term to use to mean a player or a monster. Items are inanimate objects. Because there can be inanimate things (timers) in the list you can't just say combatant(s) or something similar. Even the term entry might be better.

It was just that every time I saw "item" used it was jarring.
jay wrote:
Phergus wrote:In Table View would like player name to be left justified though it's not a big deal.
Creatures that are not in a wait state are aligned to the left. If a creature has a wait state it is aligned to the right. All timers are centered. This was done to show the GM that the creature & timer are not acting. You can turn the alignment off using the view menu. When it is off, all items are aligned to the left.
Actually was talking about the Player name which near as I can tell is always centered when in Table View.
Jay wrote:
Phergus wrote: Need: Ability to reorder the list for entities with the same Initiative Value. Click and drag within the list would be great.
You can do this by using the move up and move down options in the edit menu. I've added a tracker to allow this to be done using drag and drop.
I really should have looked better at those menus. :oops:

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

jay wrote:I've added a tracker for this. I'm thinking that the timer would replace the round counter, or would you want both at the same time?
I would think that just the overall time with rounds would suffice but others may think otherwise.

Guess it kind of depends on how long a round is. Are DnD rounds still 1 minute? DQ rounds are 10 seconds. Champions rounds are what? 12 seconds with 1 second phases and characters acting multiple phases.

So probably a seperate time readout and round counter is best. I'm guessing there will be quite a few who don't care about tracking overall time so making it optional like the round counter makes sense.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Phergus wrote:
jay wrote:Guess it kind of depends on how long a round is. Are DnD rounds still 1 minute?
In D&D 3.X, a round is 6 seconds. So there are 10 rounds in a minute.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Phergus wrote:Actually was talking about the Player name which near as I can tell is always centered when in Table View.
Doh! I'll left justify player name in the next build.

Return to “InitiativeTool”