Dreeston and Surrounds

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

torstan
Great Wyrm

Dreeston and Surrounds

Post by torstan »

So I thought I'd put together a 4e game for one of my regular groups and as a result I needed a regional map. However I got a little carried away when doing it and this is the result. I don't know if this is of any use to anyone, but please feel free. I have posted a version without labels and a version without labels or roads or city markings in my gallery folder:

http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/to ... /Dreeston/

Here's the image:

Enjoy!

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Attractive, believable, usable. Gawd I hate talented people. :wink:

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

How'd you make that? ;_; Mine never turn out that awesome looking.

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

Thanks for the compliments. There's a WIP thread over here -
http://forum.cartographersguild.com/sho ... php?t=2374 - that has a step by step of how it came together and a tutorial I wrote up for this style of map that I put up here: http://forum.cartographersguild.com/sho ... php?t=2035

The short answer is by using Gimp, a Wacom and lots of overlay layers :)

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

torstan, I have said this before and I will say it again:

Why the f&#( are you not working professionally in the RPG business???
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

One answer - no one is employing me :)

That seems to be changing and I am now actively touting for freelance work. Actually I would never have considered it except that Murgh Burn asked me to do a commission for him. I hadn't considered it until then.

Also, I have a great day job, but extra work is never a problem.

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

I'd love to employ you. Can't afford to pay a lot, but I've tried getting a couple folks to make maps for some of the modules my friend and I have written (to replace my crappy Playskool maps). They start out all gung-ho, then I never hear from them again.

If you're interested, please PM me...

Here are the links to the modules: http://www.infinite-realities.com/zen/i ... Path=65_69
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

Well it would be hard for me to disappear on you and still be able to play with maptool. Pm sent. Thanks all, I'm grateful for the compliments (and mentions of filthy lucre!).

Mathemagician
Dragon

Post by Mathemagician »

I thought about drawing a map for part of my campaign... but then I remembered that not even my parents like my art, so I'll just be, ah, borrowing yours.

Seriously, you've done some ridiculously good work here. Keep it up!

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

Hey Torstan, I don't know if you're at all inclined, but there's a huge fan project at co8.org that you could be a great use to. I don't think they're paying anything, but just in case you're interested.

If any of you have played Temple of Elemental Evil, you may know that this game was a really excellent port of the 3.5 rules that was horribly hamstrung by Atari rushing it to market. It was ridiculously buggy when it came out and as a result people stayed away. Dedicated fans fixed the bugs, and have modded it continuously since. It's now stable and incredibly good.

Anyway, this same group is currently using that game's engine and creating an entirely new freeware game based on another module, the Keep on the Borderlands. It's a big project and their biggest gaps are in the art and design departments.

Just FYI to all the creative people out there.

And thanks for the tutorial. I've gotten to know gimp pretty well, and will definitely be taking pages, nay, chapters from your book.

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

Narg, I have enough unpaid art to do to keep two regular gaming groups happy :) On the other hand, it sounds pretty interesting. Keep on the Borderlands was the first adventure I ever DM'ed so I'd be interested to see what they do with it.

As for the tute, I'm not sure 'book' is the right word for it, but I hope it's useful :) If you find things that could be done better or easier - I've already picked up a few tips from the others over on the CG - then do say. I'm still teaching myself what Gimp can do. It's a great piece of software.

Return to “User Creations”