MapTool 1.3 Development Build 33

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

salmelo wrote:what is this about right clicking on a token not working? it works just fine for me, and I'm running b33.
So you're getting the right-click menu on a token (not an object) when you right click it? Is it a token from an existing campaign or a new token in a new map?
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

thelevitator
Dragon

Post by thelevitator »

I was thinking the same thing. I have no problem right-clicking on tokens from earlier versions or new tokens in b33.
"Neither hexes nor squares can confine me!"

James Anthony
"It's all in your head....."
http://www.spelz.net

salmelo
Giant

Post by salmelo »

new token, new map, yes it's a token. and yes, fully functional right click menu.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

The problem only occurs when loading older campaigns as the older campaigns don't include the token states which b33 is expecting to find there.

This has been fixed for the next build.

salmelo
Giant

Post by salmelo »

ah, ok.

Ryss
Dragon

Post by Ryss »

For the tech-savy there is a short explanation for those right click problems:

Saving a campaign essentially serializes the campaign object into an xml document via XStream (a java library for serialization). In other words the object in the memory gets "dumped" into a plain text file (so it would be human edit friendly). In a new build of the program we sometimes find ourselves adding new stuff to the campaign class (like the new campaign buttons and the aforementioned token states stuff).

So when you are loading an old campaign file, that file has no information about the new additions and when you serialize it back to a the campaign class those new stuff don't get loaded. XStream only fills existing data (naturally) and all those new stuff get null values. And that is why the right click doesn't work (you get null pointer exceptions = there is no such data).

Actually the fix is surprisingly simple: adding a null check before using a newly added feature. Which we sometimes tend to forget :oops:

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Quick question: Is the bug with derived values (propA + propB) going to be resolved in this build(b34) for output to the popup window when you hover over a token?

I know this has been mentioned(though I cannot find where), but if I create property as viewable on the "character sheet" hover over window, and set the value as a derived thing, it only shows the formula and not the derived value at this time.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

I was under the impression that that was just something that hadn't been implemented yet, not actually a bug.

Ryss
Dragon

Post by Ryss »

jfrazierjr wrote:Quick question: Is the bug with derived values (propA + propB) going to be resolved in this build(b34) for output to the popup window when you hover over a token?

I know this has been mentioned(though I cannot find where), but if I create property as viewable on the "character sheet" hover over window, and set the value as a derived thing, it only shows the formula and not the derived value at this time.
Trevor said he was going to look into that but I have no idea whether he fixed that or not.

Remind him please :D

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Ryss wrote:
jfrazierjr wrote:Quick question: Is the bug with derived values (propA + propB) going to be resolved in this build(b34) for output to the popup window when you hover over a token?

Trevor said he was going to look into that but I have no idea whether he fixed that or not.

Poke->Trevor....
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

UntoldGlory wrote:I was under the impression that that was just something that hadn't been implemented yet, not actually a bug.
Hmm.. that seems like an easy fix. I wish I had found this a few days ago. Now I have a game to prepare for tonight instead of spending time messing with the code, as I expect this is something I could actually fix without spending tons of hours searching the code.

Joe

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

jfrazierjr wrote:
Ryss wrote:

Poke->Trevor....
Ouch !

I don't know if it will make it into b34 since I'm doing a build tonight to fix some of the more urgent issues.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Isn't this going to be more like 33.5 than 34 though? All bug fix, no new features? :wink:

And I thought you'd giggle like the pillsbury doughboy when poked, I know I do!

Ryss
Dragon

Post by Ryss »

UntoldGlory wrote:Isn't this going to be more like 33.5 than 34 though? All bug fix, no new features? :wink:

And I thought you'd giggle like the pillsbury doughboy when poked, I know I do!
/punches UntoldGlory in the face.

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

Ryss wrote:For the tech-savy there is a short explanation for those right click problems:

Saving a campaign essentially serializes the campaign object into an xml document via XStream (a java library for serialization). In other words the object in the memory gets "dumped" into a plain text file (so it would be human edit friendly). In a new build of the program we sometimes find ourselves adding new stuff to the campaign class (like the new campaign buttons and the aforementioned token states stuff).

So when you are loading an old campaign file, that file has no information about the new additions and when you serialize it back to a the campaign class those new stuff don't get loaded. XStream only fills existing data (naturally) and all those new stuff get null values. And that is why the right click doesn't work (you get null pointer exceptions = there is no such data).

Actually the fix is surprisingly simple: adding a null check before using a newly added feature. Which we sometimes tend to forget :oops:
Thanks for the explanation! I'm still taking my Java classes, but this makes perfect sense to me.
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

Return to “Announcements”