Macro command to change the token's layer?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Lindharin
Dragon

Macro command to change the token's layer?

Post by Lindharin »

Hi there,

Is there a macro command to change a token's layer to the object layer? I was thinking it might be nice to have dead monster tokens become objects instead of tokens. I can do it manually, but I'd rather have it part of the damage macro I use.

Thanks,
Lindharin

Mrugnak
Dragon

Post by Mrugnak »

I don't know if this is possible, but I'd just like to say that this is brilliant.

Solves that issue of "PC on a stacked pile of corpses always seems to be UNDERNEATH the corpses" problem. (which I know comes from me putting the monster tokens on the map before the PCs ever arrive, or something, but is still annoying).

And yeah, being able to automate that as part of a "dead" macro would be nice. Clear all the other states, set the dead state, convert to object. bam.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Sounds like a pretty good idea... though I still think one of the big cures to dealing with stacking issues would be to make white-spaces unclickable. That way when tokens start to crowd an area, so long as you can click on any part of a token you could grab that token.

kat2cute
Dragon

Post by kat2cute »

Might have a problem with implementation though. What happens if a player uses this code, as a player only has access to the token layer? If they put this new Damage Macro with auto-layer switch into their token, they would lose control of it. Of course, if you only use it when they have DIED, they shouldn't really have access to their token anymore anyways. But there are other situations where a player might use this new functionality in a macro and then lose their token on the object layer.
Quote from an underwater D&D fight:
Alright fighter, it's your turn. What do you do?
Fighter: What do you think I do? I FAIL MY F**KING SWIM CHECK

Naryt
Dragon

Post by Naryt »

kat2cute wrote:Might have a problem with implementation though. What happens if a player uses this code, as a player only has access to the token layer? If they put this new Damage Macro with auto-layer switch into their token, they would lose control of it. Of course, if you only use it when they have DIED, they shouldn't really have access to their token anymore anyways. But there are other situations where a player might use this new functionality in a macro and then lose their token on the object layer.
That is easily deal with by allowing on GM's to actually run such a macro using the same checks as are currently in place for other GM specific tasks. IOW, the code doing the switching under the hood needs to make sure it was a GM that issued the command in the first place.
A wandering lost soul

AidyBaby
Dragon

Post by AidyBaby »

Has any further consideration been given to this from one of the macro codemonkeys? (i.e. bump!)

--AidyBaby--
D&D qualities are related inversely to those of Poker... and I love both.
http://www.yorkpoker.co.uk

Mrugnak
Dragon

Post by Mrugnak »

I'd just like to continue to echo my support for this as a GM-only function. It would be really neat.

hennebeck
Dragon

Post by hennebeck »

Maybe not just GM, but PC vs NPC.
We already have that as a toggle.

I would like to see only NPCs able to be made into Objects.

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

In RPTrolls SW game we played Trevor actually commented that something similar was needed and RPTroll said that this was how he handled it. That said, I would imagine that Trevor will get this ability added in 1.4 if no one beats him to it.
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

Return to “MapTool”