MapTool b41 progress

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

MapTool b41 progress

Post by trevor »

OK, this week is the big release, so I'm technically past crunch time, whew !

With that settling down I'll be able to spend some tlc with the MT codebase (finally).

That said, I've received a bunch of patches and will be reviewing them and applying them today with an expected build of tonight (8/25), or tmrw (8/26) at the latest (in case I hit a snag with one or more of the patches).

Thanks for your patience as I worked through this RL work.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

Glad you're through the woods and I hope it went well!

b40 was good, and playable so definitely looking forward to b41.

Naryt
Dragon

Post by Naryt »

Hurrah for Trevor!

When can we expect a freeze on 1.3? I know that chat is planned to receive some major work in 1.4 and am wondering if I should just wait until then before working on custom fonts in the chat window.
A wandering lost soul

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Post by Orchard »

Naryt wrote:Hurrah for Trevor!

When can we expect a freeze on 1.3? I know that chat is planned to receive some major work in 1.4 and am wondering if I should just wait until then before working on custom fonts in the chat window.

OoooOOOOoooooo

Plz....?

Being able to select any font I have on my system and have it uploaded to my players would ROCK!
0+0=1, for very unstable CPUs.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Feature freeze is ..... loosely in effect already. I am making a concerted effort to only work on bugs and general fixing things up. It's the contributors that keep on adding the awesomeness :)

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Post by Orchard »

trevor wrote:Feature freeze is ..... loosely in effect already. I am making a concerted effort to only work on bugs and general fixing things up. It's the contributors that keep on adding the awesomeness :)
Those darn contributors--they should stop!

Er, no...they rock.

So, essentially, you are working on cleaning things up and if more things get added by contributors, then fine? Are you, at any point, going to say, hey let's just hold off any contributions until 1.4?

Naryt
Dragon

Post by Naryt »

Orchard wrote:
trevor wrote:Feature freeze is ..... loosely in effect already. I am making a concerted effort to only work on bugs and general fixing things up. It's the contributors that keep on adding the awesomeness :)
Those darn contributors--they should stop!

Er, no...they rock.

So, essentially, you are working on cleaning things up and if more things get added by contributors, then fine? Are you, at any point, going to say, hey let's just hold off any contributions until 1.4?
Guilty (although not as significant as others)...sooooo, to help speed up the final release of 1.3, I'll hold off on fonts until 1.4.
A wandering lost soul

trevor

Post by trevor »

I'm not currently accepting large changes (such as the macro panel level), but people fixing things that annoy them will always be welcome.

Cweord
Great Wyrm

Post by Cweord »

Woot, New build!!!

Hope the launch went well Trevor, I remember you saying it could be a make or break release, so good luck!!!

Hope it goes supernova, and they give you a $10,000,000 Bonus - so you can forget about work and just play with maptool!!!
Cweord

This message has been spell checked by Freudcheck - any mistakes are purley a figment of your imagination.
-------
My Tokens Directory
http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/Cw ... er_Tokens/

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

At one point you almost had a way to allow moving tokens from one map to another. Just thought I would freshen that idea as I thought it was one of the core 1.3 things you desired (or maybe it is me that desires :-) ).

Congrats on getting through the work crunch!

syntruth
Giant

Post by syntruth »

Orchard wrote:Being able to select any font I have on my system and have it uploaded to my players would ROCK!
...that might be kinda hard to do, since you'd have to somehow get permissions to install the fonts. (Not to mention having to re-start the font-server/x-windows on Linux.) But just being able to change fonts locally would be nice, since the /e text is kinda fugly on my terminal.

Mr. Pokeylope
Giant

Re: MapTool b41 progress

Post by Mr. Pokeylope »

trevor wrote:That said, I've received a bunch of patches and will be reviewing them and applying them today with an expected build of tonight (8/25), or tmrw (8/26) at the latest (in case I hit a snag with one or more of the patches).
That soon? Dang.

There are a couple changes I'd like to make related to the new roll syntax, but they'd be non-trivial to implement and are minor enough to not be worth blocking on. Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to work on it at all today, but as far as I know there aren't any major issues outstanding.

wrathchild
Dragon

Post by wrathchild »

Where do you predict that projector mode will come into play?
Entering the Digital Age of Roleplaying.
Part of the Resident GURPS Lobby.
Calling for Halos to be Hexified.

Naryt
Dragon

Post by Naryt »

syntruth wrote:
Orchard wrote:Being able to select any font I have on my system and have it uploaded to my players would ROCK!
...that might be kinda hard to do, since you'd have to somehow get permissions to install the fonts. (Not to mention having to re-start the font-server/x-windows on Linux.) But just being able to change fonts locally would be nice, since the /e text is kinda fugly on my terminal.
Exactly my thoughts. You will have to make sure that the font is installed out side of MapTool. You'll be able to change your font face but if the other parties don't have it installed, they'll just see the standard fonts.
A wandering lost soul

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Post by Orchard »

Naryt wrote:
syntruth wrote:
Exactly my thoughts. You will have to make sure that the font is installed out side of MapTool. You'll be able to change your font face but if the other parties don't have it installed, they'll just see the standard fonts.
Yeah, I know, but a man can dream.

Bah, whatever.

I hate it too...fonts shouldn't require a restart of the x-server or the font-server...it shouldn't be THAT hard (thus speaks the man who knows NOTHING about low-level stuff like that)! I mean really, it's *just* a display object.

Gah!

I still look forward to the day when someone in operating system design figures out that fonts are a useful thing in terms of conveying information and that people might want to be able to install them on the fly without a lot of work. Installing a font SHOULD not be a security risk (sandbox!), and should be possible via internet sources as a temporary option with a 'make permanent' possibility (and the source should be able to deny this if desired for copyright purposes).

Oh well, it's just a pipe dream. I've done enough web-design to want this, because I hate that I have to use images everytime I want to use a font on a website that falls outside the standard 10 or so. It shouldn't be that hard.

Return to “Developer Notes”