1.3b42 Progress

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

BigO
Dragon

Post by BigO »

giliath wrote:If you read this far, say woo hoo.
Woo Hoo!

(drink)
--O

I am a small and fragile flower.
http://maptool.rocks.andyousuck.com

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Woo Hoo and a question. Will there be a program document that includes all the function names and their uses? I'm already fairly overwhelmed by all the macro stuff, and can only imagine my head 'splodin' when I start trying to use the scripting. Documentation is a major necessity for me to really understand stuff. Especially docs that are in one place rather than scattered all over.
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

applekor
Giant

Post by applekor »

BigO wrote:
Woo Hoo!

(drink)
...what he said.
"Should" is the biggest word in the English language.

"Just" is the second biggest word in the English language.

What I'm working on

applekor
Giant

Post by applekor »

RPMiller wrote:Will there be a program document that includes all the function names and their uses?
The idea is that the GM decides which script functions get included with their campiagns. The script functions to choose from would largely come from the community-at-large, not from the devs.
"Should" is the biggest word in the English language.

"Just" is the second biggest word in the English language.

What I'm working on

giliath
RPTools Founder

Post by giliath »

RPMiller wrote:
Woo Hoo and a question. Will there be a program document that includes all the function names and their uses? I'm already fairly overwhelmed by all the macro stuff, and can only imagine my head 'splodin' when I start trying to use the scripting. Documentation is a major necessity for me to really understand stuff. Especially docs that are in one place rather than scattered all over.
I have already given Trevor a way of asking the parser for all of the functions. The javascript functions (when registered) will have a way for the function designers to add aliases and descriptions so that they will all show up in the function list Trevor is putting together.
~Giliath

giliath
RPTools Founder

Post by giliath »

Azhrei wrote:So what's the plan with storing images in JSON? Would the image be converted to some encoded format and then the decode function would be called inside the object definition?
The file format is not changing, just some of the way we store data within the file. The files are currently .zips that contain XML and raw files. The will be changed to be .zips that contain JSON and raw files where JSON replaces the current XML only.
~Giliath

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Post by Orchard »

Regarding players being allowed to load javascript functions: as a DM, I've got two minds on this. First, I have a player (BigO) who is more likely than I am to write the scripts (although I will probably write some). I trust him to A) do a good job and B) not cheat. While I am smart and savvy enough to verify his code as long as he doesn't actively do anything too tricky, it ultimately does come down to a trust issue. Second, I have another player that I equally trust that is likely to write some javascript.

So, I propose that instead of either blocking or allowing player access to add javascript functionality, that it be a toggle--either on a per-script basis (popup: 'Player BigO is trying to load script "Kill all the monsters RIGHT NOW": Cancel or Allow?') or on a global basis (option: allow players to load javascript files? option: prompt for individual files? option: allow all players access to player-loaded files?).

Obviously I would go with the second option which, if the right options were selected would result in popups. Annoying perhaps, but worthwhile. It should also give the GM (eventually) access, prior to accepting the script, to the source. Obviously for largish scripts & functions and in-game review is impractical, and would probably result in a automatic 'no', but I still think allowing the GM to make the decision whether or not they trust the player isn't a bad idea.

Of course, the GM can ALWAYS just take as a policy: I don't allow in game additions. Send me the file prior to game start and I'll review them. No additional scripts/functions within x hours before the game.

THoughts?
0+0=1, for very unstable CPUs.

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

giliath wrote:I have already given Trevor a way of asking the parser for all of the functions. The javascript functions (when registered) will have a way for the function designers to add aliases and descriptions so that they will all show up in the function list Trevor is putting together.
Fair enough. So we'll be depending heavily on function designers to document their functions. Any way to force that? ;)

ImageImage

Lindharin
Dragon

Post by Lindharin »

RPMiller wrote:Fair enough. So we'll be depending heavily on function designers to document their functions. Any way to force that? ;)
Considering the open community nature of the project, the only obvious way to force it is to vote with your feet... :) We have enough people creating macros, etc., now that if you aren't finding the functions developed by CoderX documented to your satisfaction, there will probably be something equivalent from CoderY. And any scripts available to the community can be edited by anyone in the community, so a really useful but poorly documented function can always be documented by someone else if needed.

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Post by Orchard »

RPMiller wrote:
giliath wrote:I have already given Trevor a way of asking the parser for all of the functions. The javascript functions (when registered) will have a way for the function designers to add aliases and descriptions so that they will all show up in the function list Trevor is putting together.
Fair enough. So we'll be depending heavily on function designers to document their functions. Any way to force that? ;)
Get out the beat sticks and the cases of mountain dew?

Because most of them won't do it without a combination of bribery and threats. Good luck.
0+0=1, for very unstable CPUs.

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Orchard wrote:Get out the beat sticks and the cases of mountain dew?

Because most of them won't do it without a combination of bribery and threats. Good luck.
That was my thinking as well...

I'm kidding by the way. Well sort of. ;)

ImageImage

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Orchard wrote: Of course, the GM can ALWAYS just take as a policy: I don't allow in game additions. Send me the file prior to game start and I'll review them. No additional scripts/functions within x hours before the game.

THoughts?
This will be the initial policy. Once the initial dust settles we'll take a closer look at how to handle the broader case
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

BigO
Dragon

Post by BigO »

Orchard wrote:Regarding players being allowed to load javascript functions:
THoughts?
I agree with you. I totally understand why it's being set up to be GM only, and I'm not going to complain about it, but I would prefer it to do something like have that be the default but let the GM change the preference in the campaign settings.

In a situation where the GM doesn't care if the players write scripts then it's just going to serve to slow down the process of getting a game started.

BUT I'm totally fine with waiting for that to come later. I'm just grateful to have external script support at all!
--O

I am a small and fragile flower.
http://maptool.rocks.andyousuck.com

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Lindharin wrote:[...] And any scripts available to the community can be edited by anyone in the community, so a really useful but poorly documented function can always be documented by someone else if needed.
Sounds like a good job for a wiki. I suppose the RPTools wiki could be used and permission for the "User Contributed Scripts/Docs" virtual folder could be given out on a case-by-case basis. :)

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Update
I'm working on one final elusive bug. I know what's happening, just not why.

Unfortunately I'm falling asleep in my chair, and as I've learned (quite painfully), it just doesn't pay to do a build when tired.

Fortunately, it'll be easy to find when my mind is fresh, so the build will go out sometime Sunday afternoon.

In the mean time, here's the current build notes for b42:

Build 42
* Make default values show up on the edit token dialog properties tab
* Fix bug: resource library directories are not sorted on linux
* Fix bug: loading a campaign with a saved radius template with an invalid map never completes
* Fix bug: line distance measuring label position bug (Contributed by phergus)
* Fix bug: token stat sheet doesn't show up if it only has default values

Contributed by mkarasek
* Fix bug: new line issues in macros
* Fix bug: smilies being overly aggressive about dice rolls
* Evaluate separator each pass when doing multiple rolls.

Contributed by Lindharin
* Sorting the global and campaign panels on load.
* New sortby property on buttons that is the first thing sorted by.
* The sort function pads all numbers (not just dice code) to 4 digits with leading zeroes to help with implied orders (ie, 2 should be before 10).
* Fixed the existing bug when duplicating buttons in the campaign panel.
* Added a checkbox indicating the button should be applied to selected tokens, so you don't need to right click and use the "Run For Each" option.

Contributed by Jay
* Fixed Init panel showing an empty GM name bug
* Added Token (health) Bars
* Added bar.[bar-name] variable and setBar()/getBar() functions for macros.
* Added GM/Owner/Other view support to all of the states and bars.
* Stopped rotation of states & bars on top down token names.
* Made Round: label on init panel a button that resets the round counter and clears the current initiative.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Return to “Developer Notes”