(Possible feature request) Impersonate on Select?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Rumble
Deity

(Possible feature request) Impersonate on Select?

Post by Rumble »

Is there a method - via holding down a hotkey or anything - to impersonate a token when you select it? As a GM, I would find this very handy, since I'm jumping around tokens a lot, and would love to have some sort of on-demand impersonate-select feature.

Malekith
Giant

Re: (Possible feature request) Impersonate on Select?

Post by Malekith »

seconded!
Quite a few times in my campaign i'll have the party returning to a room where I got a lot of NPCs in and they'll be holding a discussion and so this would seriously speed it up.
I mean with 2 GMs it's not too bad, but still it's not quite flowing right.

Mal
Mal

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

There's possible weirdness with drag-select or multiple selections; I would guess it would have to be configured to impersonate the first token selected, or prevent multiple-selection somehow.

But anyway, it would be a handy feature (in my game, there's the GM handling all the NPCs, and two players handling 5 PCs, so there's a lot of jumping around on both sides of the "screen"; they can't keep one character impersonated all the time).

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Rumble wrote:There's possible weirdness with drag-select or multiple selections; I would guess it would have to be configured to impersonate the first token selected, or prevent multiple-selection somehow.

But anyway, it would be a handy feature (in my game, there's the GM handling all the NPCs, and two players handling 5 PCs, so there's a lot of jumping around on both sides of the "screen"; they can't keep one character impersonated all the time).
Hmm. I'd simply say that if you select multiple selections, any existing impersonation is turned off and no new one is created to replace it.

I don't generally need to impersonate very often. I use voice chat to describe situations and to interact with the PCs. And I use campaign macros to handle NPCs and monsters, so I keep the campaign macro panel available all the time. I have some macros in my global panel (mostly rules text).

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Azhrei wrote:
Rumble wrote:There's possible weirdness with drag-select or multiple selections; I would guess it would have to be configured to impersonate the first token selected, or prevent multiple-selection somehow.

Hmm. I'd simply say that if you select multiple selections, any existing impersonation is turned off and no new one is created to replace it.

I don't generally need to impersonate very often. I use voice chat to describe situations and to interact with the PCs. And I use campaign macros to handle NPCs and monsters, so I keep the campaign macro panel available all the time. I have some macros in my global panel (mostly rules text).
Generally, the selection window is adequate for all tokens (I have...maybe 2 campaign macros); I impersonate specifically for chat purposes (we do IC speech in chat, OOC speech via voice). It can see it being even more useful for my players, who manage more than one character each, and like to impersonate the token to do chat.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Rumble wrote:It can see it being even more useful for my players, who manage more than one character each, and like to impersonate the token to do chat.
Do they know that they can click on the token in the Selection panel in order to impersonate the token? (Maybe it's a double-click. I don't do that very often, as you can tell.)

IMarvinTPA
Dragon

Post by IMarvinTPA »

I can't find a button to impersonate in the Selection tool. But if you have no impersonation, there is an impersonate button on the impersonate panel that will use your current selection. But there is no button to unimpersonate.

IMarv

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Azhrei wrote:
Rumble wrote:It can see it being even more useful for my players, who manage more than one character each, and like to impersonate the token to do chat.
Do they know that they can click on the token in the Selection panel in order to impersonate the token? (Maybe it's a double-click. I don't do that very often, as you can tell.)

That's still, if I'm understanding properly, at least 2 clicks plus navigating from the token to the panel. I would like seeing it be one click (with the additional button held down, perhaps): click on the token, and it's done.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

IMarvinTPA wrote:I can't find a button to impersonate in the Selection tool. But if you have no impersonation, there is an impersonate button on the impersonate panel that will use your current selection. But there is no button to unimpersonate.

IMarv
It's the picture in the border that surrounds the macros. The mouse pointer doesn't change when hovered over it (I think), but you can still activate it.

You're right about there not being an "unimpersonate", but then the chat window already has that. And a user could always just impersonate someone else...

palmer
Great Wyrm

Post by palmer »

Azhrei wrote:
The "Impersonate Selected" button is actually in the Impersonate panel.

Furthermore, once you are impersonating a token, the "Impersonate Selected" button disappears and is not accessible until you stop impersonating.

verisimilar
Giant

Post by verisimilar »

Right-clicking the token and selecting Impersonate seems easy enough /shrug

I personally find the 'unimpersonate' button only being located in the chat panel to be rather counter-intuitive. The Impersonate panel should have that button, and the context menu(right-click menu) should change to 'unimpersonate'('deimpersonate'? or some other word that isn't real) if the token is already impersonated by you. Where you turn something on is where you should turn it off.
Now known as zEal

keithcurtis
Giant

Post by keithcurtis »

Forgive my terrible newbie-ness, but I edited a dice-rolling macro I got from elsewhere, and it seems to work. Put this into a campaign macro and set the hot key for f2 or whatever:

Code: Select all

[h: fail=input(

"speech | 0 | Input impersonated speech | TEXT"

)]

[h: abort(fail)]

[r: speech]
I'm testing it, and it seems to work. I click on the token, press f2, type the speech into the resulting dialog box. It's passed to the chat window as impersonated speech and immediately returns me to my GM voice.

Real code wranglers can probably make this much purdier.

verisimilar
Giant

Post by verisimilar »

That macro on its own doesn't impersonate anything. :(
Now known as zEal

keithcurtis
Giant

Post by keithcurtis »

I do have to have a token selected. I have the "apply to selected tokens" checkbox clicked on the macro control panel.

I found I was making it more complicated than it needed to be. This works just as well:

Code: Select all

[h: input(

"speech |   | Input impersonated speech | TEXT"

)]

[r: speech]
I only started looking at macros just now. I don't really know much about them, but it seems to be working as I described for me.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

keithcurtis wrote:I only started looking at macros just now. I don't really know much about them, but it seems to be working as I described for me.
Yes, that will work okay for a single statement. But the impersonation feature allows for many lines of chat to be impersonated without clicking the macro button each time.

I'm thinking that some way of Alt-clicking or something to do impersonate might be reasonable. Of course, it could be two clicks: select the token, then run a macro with /im [r: getTokenId()] should work. (Untested, though.)

Return to “MapTool”