MAC OS X startup issues

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
foundry
Kobold

MAC OS X startup issues

Post by foundry »

I am running a MAC Dual 2.3 GHz PowerPC G5 with OS X 10.5.6 that has 8 GB RAM.
I seem to be having an issue starting up MapTools.

I DL'ed Maptools 1.3.b53 and followed the tutorial that instructed me to run the 'Launch MapTools.sh" file. All that this did was open said file in textedit.

I then tried opening the 'LaunchMap Tool-OSX.command' file but this only opened the file in Terminal.

I was able to open the 'maptool-1.3.b53.jar' file, and it opened the maptool interface, but it tells me that I am running MapTools with "insufficient memory allocation" and that I should launch one of the script files...

I did a search of the FAQs but I couldn't find one that exactly addressed this issue.

I can't figure out exactly what I did wrong. Did I inadvertently DL the incorrect version of the software? Or maybe I have a setting on my computer wrong?

Any help with this would be more than appretiated.
Thanx in advance.

Mathemagician
Dragon

Re: MAC OS X startup issues

Post by Mathemagician »

Hi Foundry, welcome to the community!!

I usually use the web-launch to start MapTool, here's the link:

http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=launch

You can click on Customization to add more memory, if you like.

Just click on the link you like!

foundry
Kobold

Post by foundry »

Woot! That did the trick!

Thank you so much! :D

walkerp
Cave Troll

Post by walkerp »

I have the same problem, but the web launch is not a solution for me. I need to join a game that is using 1.3 b50.

I try to run the file "LaunchMapTool-OSX.command" but it either opens up in my text editor or when I try to run it through terminal, it tells me it is not an executable.

The link in the readme to the documentation files doesn't seem to exist anymore and I couldn't find any documentation addressing specifically how to launch MapTools from within OS X on your site.

Thanks!

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

You will need to set the attributes of the LaunchMapTool-OSX.command script to be executable. I assume the MacOS includes some form of help that can guide you on this. Try looking up command files.

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

walkerp wrote:I have the same problem, but the web launch is not a solution for me. I need to join a game that is using 1.3 b50.

I try to run the file "LaunchMapTool-OSX.command" but it either opens up in my text editor or when I try to run it through terminal, it tells me it is not an executable.

The link in the readme to the documentation files doesn't seem to exist anymore and I couldn't find any documentation addressing specifically how to launch MapTools from within OS X on your site.

Thanks!
you need to change the permissions of the .command file using the terminal to make it executable.

The quick method.
  • Start the Terminal app which resides in /Applications/Utilities/Terminal
  • type in the following (don't push return, but put a space after it)

Code: Select all

chmod +x 

• Drag the "LaunchMapTool-OSX.command" icon to the terminal and push return. Note the icon may not have the extension so you may just see "LaunchMapTool-OSX"
  • close the terminal

You should now be able to double click on the LaunchMapTool-OSX icon and it should start MapTool.

This is becoming a very regular question I wonder if a better method of handling this needs to be introduced.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

walkerp wrote:I have the same problem, but the web launch is not a solution for me. I need to join a game that is using 1.3 b50.
I have a solution for this for the main web site, but haven't had time to implement it yet.

In the mean time, you can visit http://www.eeconsulting.net/maptool/mkjnlp/ where you can fill in basically the same info as the main web site, but you have the option of choosing which version of MapTool you want to use. The result is a WebStart file for that version.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Craig wrote:This is becoming a very regular question I wonder if a better method of handling this needs to be introduced.
Definitely. But one of you Mac folks is going to have to create the bits and pieces needed to make it happen. This article looks relevant:

http://java.sun.com/developer/technical ... avaToMac3/

Then we just update the Ant build script to do what needs to be done.

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

Phergus wrote:
Craig wrote:This is becoming a very regular question I wonder if a better method of handling this needs to be introduced.
Definitely. But one of you Mac folks is going to have to create the bits and pieces needed to make it happen. This article looks relevant:

I was more thinking a tar file because there is less effort required when selecting the memory size ;)
But I guess I could take a look at whipping up a launcher app type thingy similar to the windows one some time after the weekend.

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

Craig wrote:
Phergus wrote:

I was more thinking a tar file because there is less effort required when selecting the memory size ;)
But I guess I could take a look at whipping up a launcher app type thingy similar to the windows one some time after the weekend.
Bah come to think of it this is still not going to work properly as if the packaging is done under windows the executable bit of the bits that need to be executable wont be set :(

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Hmmm. I only skimmed the article but I thought it said or implied that the .app thingy could be created on a PC and still work. But maybe that required building up a separate MT download bundle for the Mac.

walkerp
Cave Troll

Post by walkerp »

Thanks guys! I figured out a work-around last night, using the command line to launch maptools with the appropriate memory allocation. I'll test your solutions above out this weekend.

I do think it will be worth your while, if you've got the cycles and the platform, to set up a really user-friendly install for the Mac. I'm semi-technical, I can get around the command line like a drunken sailor on shore, but needing to change the permissions on that .command file will be a show-stopper for a lot of Mac users. It'd be nice to have a sexy icon as well, so if you could package the whole thing eventually, I think it'll help a lot to build up a cross-platform audience. My players will be a mix of Mac and PC, but at least half on Mac. Easy to say, I know. I'm just throwing out a data point for you.

And kudos on the webstart. That is slick and seamless on the Mac. Really elegant. The group that I was testing it out with was using an older build, otherwise, that might be the way I would go.

It's a kick donkey tool all around and the active support is really exciting to see. Keep up the good work!

God Returns
Cave Troll

Post by God Returns »

I've had to do this twice on my Mac, it's pretty quick and painless once you get Google on your side.

I do it this way:

1. Open Launch MapTool.sh in TextEdit.
2. Open Terminal (home/User/Applications/Utilities usually)
3. Navigate in Terminal to your MapTool folder.
Ex:

$ cd ~/Desktop/MapTools
Note that ~/ is a shortcut in terminal to route to the current user's home directory. It's the same as typing /username/folder; it's just shorter.

4. This next step involves terminal commands being repeated a few times. In your Terminal window, type these commands separated by hitting Return (Note that dragging and dropping the icon of the respective folder after typing the command will accomplish the same thing.):

$ chmod 755 Launch MapTool.sh
$ chmod 755 LaunchMapTool-OSX.command
$ chmod 755 maptool-1.3.b53.jar
Replace the 1.3.b53 with whatever version of MapTool you're running.
5. Just to make sure this worked, type this next:

ls -la
This will show the permissions for every file in the current directory. Check that the 3 files we changed are listed as "-rwxr-xr-x@". If this is correct, you're ready for the next step.
6. Return to your TextEdit file and look at the jargon listed. Erase everything there and drop this in:

java -Xmx256M -jar ~/Desktop/maptool-1.3.b53/maptool-1.3.b53.jar run
This is the directory script that tells Java where to find the MapTool.jar file, which initiates the program. Naturally, the direction should be where your MapTool.jar file is located. Another note, the -Xmx256M can be adjusted to allow you to allocate more memory to MapTool. See the tutorial video for more on this, but the only thing you have to change is the 256M.
7. SAVE and close the file. Now open the Launch MapTool.sh file in terminal. You can either drag and drop or right-click and change the default program used to open it to Terminal. If you choose the latter, you can now run MapTool simply by double-clicking this file. The previous option would have to be repeated each time you run the program, so I, being lazy, suggest changing it to run in Terminal.

That's all there is to it, I hope this helped you guys; I had to figure this out on my own. Still, this amount of work beats how much time and frustration I went through trying to get OpenRPG 1.7.7 to run on my Mac.
Happy gaming.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

I've thought about this permission bit thing a few times already. I don't have a technique for the current ZIP file scheme that would be seamless for Trevor.

One possibility is a JAR file installer. Instead of providing a ZIP file, we provide a JAR file with a self-extracting application. That application turns on the execute bit on the Mac platform. The user downloads the JAR and double-clicks and everything is all set. To simplify things, the JAR should probably create a subdir below its current directory that has the version number in it.

Another possibility would be to package up a JNLP file that refers to the local lib directory instead of to the RPTools web site. Then Mac users could double-click that file. I'm not sure if file:// URLs are valid in the JNLP spec, though. I'd need to check that and try it to verify. Using this technique would also allow elimination of the .bat files completely as well. And a generic Java-based launcher could create new JNLP files if the user wants to change their memory allocation settings.

I'm off to try the "local JNLP" thing and see if it works. :)

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Okay, here's as far as I get:

An error occurred while launching/running the application.

Title: RPTools MapTool
Vendor: http://rptools.net/
Category: Security Error

Unsigned application requesting unrestricted access to system
Unsigned resource: file:/Users/crash/Desktop/maptool1.3.b50/maptool-1.3.b50.jar
I'm not familiar with signing JARs. What needs to be done for this to work?

Be aware that I've modified the JNLP so it looks slightly different. The changed fields are the codebase, the icon, the jar elements (so that they use the lib subdir instead of a reference to the lib.php script on the RPTools server), and the jar element for maptool-1.3.b50.jar because it's not in the lib subdir:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' ?>
<jnlp spec="1.5+" codebase="file:///Users/crash/Desktop/maptool1.3.b50/">
    <information>
        <title>RPTools MapTool</title>
        <vendor>http://www.rptools.net/</vendor>
        <icon href="RPTools_Map_Logo.png"/>
        <offline-allowed/>
        <shortcut online="false">
            <desktop />
            <menu submenu="RPTools" />
        </shortcut>
    </information>

<security>
        <all-permissions />
    </security>

<resources>
        <j2se version='1.5+' java-vm-args='-Xms64m -Xmx768m -Xss2m'/>
        <jar href='lib/BareBonesBrowserLaunch.jar' />
        <jar href='lib/abeille-formsrt-2.0.jar' />
        <jar href='lib/antlr-2.7.6.jar' />
        <jar href='lib/clientserver-1.0.b14.jar' />
        <jar href='lib/commons-beanutils-1.8.0.jar' />
        <jar href='lib/commons-collections-3.2.1.jar' />
        <jar href='lib/commons-jxpath-1.1.jar' />
        <jar href='lib/commons-lang-2.4.jar' />
        <jar href='lib/commons-logging-1.1.1.jar' />
        <jar href='lib/decktool-1.0.b1.jar' />
        <jar href='lib/dicelib-1.0.b18.jar' />
        <jar href='lib/ezmorph-1.0.5.jar' />
        <jar href='lib/hessian-3.1.6.jar' />
        <jar href='lib/jide-common-2.4.8.jar' />
        <jar href='lib/jide-components-2.4.8.jar' />
        <jar href='lib/jide-dialogs-2.4.8.jar' />
        <jar href='lib/jide-dock-2.4.8.jar' />
        <jar href='lib/jide-editor-2.4.8.jar' />
        <jar href='lib/jide-grids-2.4.8.jar' />
        <jar href='lib/jide-oss-2.4.8.jar' />
        <jar href='lib/jide-properties-2.4.8.jar' />
        <jar href='lib/jl1.0.jar' />
        <jar href='lib/js-1.7R1.jar' />
        <jar href='lib/json-lib-2.2.2-jdk15.jar' />
        <jar href='lib/maptool.resource-1.0.b16.jar' />
        <jar href='lib/parser-1.1.b20.jar' />
        <jar href='lib/renderpack-1.2004.jar' />
        <jar href='lib/rplib-1.0.b112.jar' />
        <jar href='lib/sbbi-upnplib-1.0.4.jar' />
        <jar href='lib/servicediscoverylib-1.0.b5.jar' />
        <jar href='lib/swing-worker-0.1.jar' />
        <jar href='lib/tinylaf-1.3.04.jar' />
        <jar href='lib/withay-util.jar' />
        <jar href='lib/xpp3_min-1.1.3.4.O.jar' />
        <jar href='lib/xstream-1.2.2.jar' />
        <jar href='lib/yasb-0.2-21012007.jar' />
        <jar href='maptool-1.3.b50.jar' main='true' />

</resources>
    <application-desc main-class="net.rptools.maptool.client.LaunchInstructions">
         <argument>run</argument>
    </application-desc>
</jnlp>

Return to “MapTool”