Want to make an official Art pack for MT?

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

dorpond
RPTools Team

Want to make an official Art pack for MT?

Post by dorpond »

** This e-mail only pertains to creating artpacks that will show up in the list of available downloads within Maptool (new to 1.3B60) **

So, you are interested in making an art pack, eh? Not a problem – we just have a few rules:

1. The art pack must be 100% original (legal). Please do not snag stuff from the web, stretch it, change its color, and call it your own.
2. You must create a license text file that will display at the time of download. A simple txt file stating that you own it and it is under some sort of common license or whatever. Basically giving permission for use.
3. The art pack is free.

If you have an art pack that you want to show up in the list of available downloads (new to 1.3B60), simply PM me and we can discuss. I will review the art pack and make sure it is usable, well organized, and fulfills the three rules above. If so, we will get it in there.

If you happen to be a professional who sells your own art packs or maps, you can still use Maptool as a vehicle to draw in interest. Feel free to make a free art pack for MT and use the license popup to also include your website. In addition, you can make a jpg ‘advertisement’ and place it in the root of your art pack folder so that users can refer to your website at any time after initial installation.

All art pack inquiries should be directed to me. PM me if interested.

Thank you,
Dorpond.
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Want to make an official Art pack for MT?

Post by Azhrei »

dorpond wrote:2. You must create a license text file that will display at the time of download. A simple txt file stating that you own it and it is under some sort of common license or whatever. Basically giving permission for use.
Very cool, dorpond. Thanks for coordinating this. :)

For those who are new to donating artwork, you may want to check out the CreativeCommons.org web site where you can find a walkthrough that will help you choose an appropriate license.

Personally, I would prefer the Attribition or ShareAlike licenses as they are the least restrictive for MapTool users (a license based on both would be ideal), but I could understand the Noncommercial license being used by some contributors as well. I'm sure dorpond will work this out with you -- the link is just to give you some ideas. :)
If you have an art pack that you want to show up in the list of available downloads (new to 1.3B60), simply PM me and we can discuss. I will review the art pack and make sure it is usable, well organized, and fulfills the three rules above. If so, we will get it in there.
Dorpond, I assume you can upload stuff directly to the main site but if not let me know and I'll help out. I'm sure Trevor has a bunch of things on his plate at the moment!

Thanks again. :)

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Great additional information, Azhrei!

Man, this is super exciting! Think about it - everyone wins! Imagine the artpacks that will be available by this time next year! No more of that haunting complaint that "Maptool doesn't have any artwork" when new users first try it out! :P

Think of all the publishers that will use Maptool as a way to advertise their art! They give a little and we give a little back by sending users their way!

WIN WIN WIN ALL THE WAY AROUND!! Wooooo!!
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

loogie
Dragon

Post by loogie »

I really do like this idea, it was something that I had suggested to Trevor long ago... and something he had in mind before that! I don't think this should stop at an art pack library, I think it should be possible to download all kinds of stuff from the MapTool Online Library!

Just think! New to map tool and want to start a DnD 4ed game? No problem! just download some tutorials to help you get aquainted with Maptool. Download the DnD 4ed macro rules set of your choice (or numberous others tweaks etc), and then finally download an artpack and create yourself a map! If all this was built into the MapTool interface, it would be of great help to everyone, and even tho it already does... continue to blow the other VTT's out of the water!

I think this is the start to something wonderful.

Malekith
Giant

Post by Malekith »

Tis an idea for 1.4!
I think I made a post similar to that in the Drop-In resources thread a while back.

Mal
Mal

wrathchild
Dragon

Post by wrathchild »

I'll throw my ethusiam for this ... project, really ... in as well.

Art Packs of various sorts we can only have too few of.
Entering the Digital Age of Roleplaying.
Part of the Resident GURPS Lobby.
Calling for Halos to be Hexified.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Ok, got some great news!

I've been pinging well known gaming artists and I am happy to say that 3 more art packs are coming! :)

Devin Night has offered 20 token packs! Thanks Devin!
Tostan has offered a 4 pack of Maps! Thanks again, Torstan!
Steel General over at Cartographersguild.com has offered Sewer Tiles! Thanks Steel General!

I will let you all know when they will be made available.

Woohoo! :)

Malekith
Giant

Post by Malekith »

woo! party time! :D
great work there dorpond, thanks!

Mal
Mal

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

20 packs from Devin is a real haul. His stuff is amazing.

wrathchild
Dragon

Post by wrathchild »

Makes sense as he has those 20 packs up for free already. They're chock-full of goodies. It'll be super to get those up as packs.

One thing about them, though: Token orientation should probably be chacked to see if they all point south. I remember having to reorient some of them back in the day.
Entering the Digital Age of Roleplaying.
Part of the Resident GURPS Lobby.
Calling for Halos to be Hexified.

Cweord
Great Wyrm

Post by Cweord »

Anyone know if multiple token images is in the cards for 1.4?

It might effect how I set up any packs I do.

This is a really cool feature though
Cweord

This message has been spell checked by Freudcheck - any mistakes are purley a figment of your imagination.
-------
My Tokens Directory
http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/Cw ... er_Tokens/

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Cweord wrote:Anyone know if multiple token images is in the cards for 1.4?

It might effect how I set up any packs I do.

This is a really cool feature though
I am sure it will be in future versions of MT but why wait? I could be a long while before we get to that phase and we all game now. :)

Cweord
Great Wyrm

Post by Cweord »

I wasn't thinking of waiting, but if there are any plans, it doesn't hurt to go with the format now.
Cweord

This message has been spell checked by Freudcheck - any mistakes are purley a figment of your imagination.
-------
My Tokens Directory

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

torstan wrote:20 packs from Devin is a real haul. His stuff is amazing.
The problem though, is they're not square. They're odd sizes and don't all point in the same direction by default.

Cweord
Great Wyrm

Post by Cweord »

That's kinda where I was coming from with the multiple images comment, I don't want to create something that gets messed up if I can help it.

Maybe we should think of a few basic starting rules, such as a resolution, scale within that resolution (so a man sized top down takes up X of the space available, say shoulder to shoulder should take up half of the box) and facing being south (or down) that way all the map tools art packs should work together with out any difficulty
Cweord

-------
My Tokens Directory

Return to “User Creations”