The MacroPolicebox: Second Regeneration (D&D 4E Framework)

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

StarMan
Dragon

Goblin import

Post by StarMan »

Good to hear from you DragonFlo but sorry to hear you're having difficulty. F4 not working is described in the "MapTool Bug" section of http://macropolicebox.ihostfull.com/ind ... r-token-f4 . We are at v1.7 so I'm thinking it's not a bug and the way RPTools actually wants it to work.

I clicked the MPB, pasted the contents of your iws link into the Notes tab of a blank token and hit F4. Now for the important step: Wait! Nothing will happen ... or so it seems for a few seconds. The Lib token with the pink circle should appear along with output in the Chat. I then it any button on the player token and the Lib macros got generated as expected. Here is my attempt which went fine under SL 444:
Goblin import.html.zip
StarMan's import
(46.95 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
Notice my attacks against Vani and the skeletons at the end. The two Global Toggles runs are when I turned NPC prompting off and on respectively. I do this for testing and not actual practice because the importer will make mistakes in "auto" mode. In this case, it lets all adjacent allies shift for Goblin Tactics ... which is not correct. Please try again but when pasting into Notes do NOT get rid of the ";"s (I made ZERO changes to the text) and do not use the Write SPT function workaround.

If you still have trouble, describe your exact steps and attach your tokens/chat log history here. You should be able to follow the Skeleton Warrior video and get the same results.
StarMan - The MacroPolicebox D&D 4E Framework: Import ANYTHING!

DragonFlo
Kobold

Re: The MacroPolicebox: Second Regeneration (D&D 4E Framework)

Post by DragonFlo »

Thanks @Starman.
I followed your instructions precisely...no luck. here's the output from the chatbox:

Code: Select all

Lib:MacroPolicebox only choice available. Auto-selecting for Choose import source
Analyzing import text. Please wait ...
Auto-selecting for Choose Speed value
If not running F4, please rename Goblin Warrior and its Lib:
Auto-selecting for Choose Ammunition value
Wrote  Actions in Combat to MacroPolicebox group on Goblin Warrior
Wrote  Toggles to MacroPolicebox group on Goblin Warrior
Wrote  Common Free/No to MacroPolicebox group on Goblin Warrior
Wrote  Tactical to MacroPolicebox group on Goblin Warrior
Wrote  Frankenstein's Lab to MacroPolicebox group on Goblin Warrior
Wrote  Macro Mgmt to MacroPolicebox group on Goblin Warrior
Wrote  Power Mgmt to MacroPolicebox group on Goblin Warrior
Wrote  Health to MacroPolicebox group on Goblin Warrior
Wrote  At-Will to Goblin Warrior group on Goblin Warrior
Wrote  Free/No to Goblin Warrior group on Goblin Warrior
Wrote  Immediate to Goblin Warrior group on Goblin Warrior
Quick only choice available. Auto-selecting for Put End My Turn@Lib:MacroPolicebox in group
Wrote  End My Turn to Quick group on Goblin Warrior

Lib:MacroPolicebox:   
 Setup Player Token
MPB Utility
Goblin Warrior player token stats configured according to supplied source text. If you add a handout to this token now, a ReactionBloodied trigger for Handout to Chat will be added for you during powers import. Click any button to run Import Monster Power. If the list below is incorrect, first edit Notes tab of both tokens and make sure #s appear in front of power names ONLY. Description: Ready to parse input records listed in table below.    
Number
Macro
Spear
R Javelin
R Mobile Ranged Attack
Great Position
Goblin Tactics
Macro-defined error: No At-Will Power options to choose from.
Macro-defined error: No At-Will Power options to choose from.

DragonFlo
Kobold

Post by DragonFlo »

actually, disregard that last - I just managed to get it to work - just needed to select a different macro button, it seems. Yay! :D

DragonFlo
Kobold

Post by DragonFlo »

Ok, I have been able to generate some monsters... a goblin warrior, a hobgoblin archer, a worg, a troll.
Still struggling to get some specific powers to register. In particular, I am trying to set up a druid with wild shape power. I am finding it impossible to figure this out...the importing function just doesn't seem to work here, and consequently none of the beast form powers seem to work. Any advice?

StarMan
Dragon

Post by StarMan »

Glad to hear the monsters are coming along nicely! Character tokens are the same exercise, they just take much longer. Before we talk about specific powers, please confirm you are following the steps at http://macropolicebox.ihostfull.com/ind ... characters . Were you able to install Character Builder and Detail Adder properly? It is very strongly recommended you paste Detail Adder files into F4.

Beast form powers will only work if the Polymorph_AC effect is registered on your token. To accomplish this, drag a JPEG of what you want to polymorph into onto the map and run FL->Polymorph. A guy in my present group is playing a druid so I pasted the following to the end of his Wild Shape macro:

[MACRO("Register Effect@Lib:MacroPolicebox"): "Name=Polymorph ; Duration=Toggle ; Link=Tiger"]
If you do this, you don't need to explicitly run the Polymorph macro. Notice the "Link=Tiger" part at the end. You guessed it! :) He has a token called "Tiger" on the map so his token image is changed to that. You may now run your BF powers! To change back into bladeling form, he simply runs the macro again. This removes the Polymorph_AC effect by virtue of the "Duration=Toggle" option you see above.

For future difficulties, remember to include the chat output of what you are trying. That will make it easier for me to explain why the MPB is behaving the way it is.

DragonFlo
Kobold

Post by DragonFlo »

Thanks @Starman.
Your beastform code worked like a charm. My daughter's hybrid druid/ranger can now morph into fox and raven form! :D
As for the software: I run a linux mint rig, so neither CB nor detailadder work for me...I was unable to find a way to get these installed and running on linux...even crashed my OS trying.
I have had to go through the effort to import each pc step by step.
So far, I have managed to set up several monsters and pc tokens, and have managed to panel-beat the powers to work (mostly) on the first default map.
However, now I have tried to copy the pc tokens, their respective libs, and monster tokens with libs into a new map... and am struggling to run any combat. I get an error message:

"Choose Targets error check tripped. Check ranges and other factors before retrying operation.
Macro-defined error: No targets found within range. Check relative altitudes, Visible to Players flags, whether target AC is under 100 and in exposed areas of FoW, etc. Note these options are active: Select=All, "

I can't figure this out...as far as I can see, I have cut-and-pasted all relevant libs into this map - MacroPoliceBox, Grave, Info, Area start...

What am I missing?

I have attached two tokens for your reference.
Thrulgar.rptok
(486 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
Goblin Warrior 8.rptok
(59.01 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
Many thanks for your support!

StarMan
Dragon

Post by StarMan »

You will get no argument from me that Windows needs to be avoided and that UNIX is the best way to go. My brand new iMac will be arriving in 2 weeks! I am super excited given the one I am typing on right now was purchased in July 2011. Don't get me wrong, it as provided 9 years of faithful service but it is time to move on.

Having said that, I still have a dusty Win 10 box in a corner for CB and DA purposes, among other few things that can't be done in OS X. I very highly recommend you do the same. While piecing together tokens number by number and macro by macro is technically possible, 4e becomes a FAR more pleasant experience if you can just paste characters in as shown in my videos. Nevertheless, I commend your dedication in laboriously doing things the hard way! I would do the same thing if Windows truly wasn't an option.
DragonFlo wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:14 pm
However, now I have tried to copy the pc tokens, their respective libs, and monster tokens with libs into a new map
NEVER do this. ALWAYS use the Move Party to Next Map macro in the root group of the MPB. It is the fastest and safest way to ensure the next map gets all the tokens it needs. Of course, it won't transport monsters so those will need to be cut and pasted. Thanks for including the tokens in your post but I'm afraid they're useless without the corresponding Libs.

What are you running or doing when that error appears? Did you check whether the "Visible to Players" option is checked in the object menu of all tokens as the error suggests? Are you using SL 245?
Last edited by StarMan on Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

DragonFlo
Kobold

Post by DragonFlo »

Well, i'll try to set up something to run windozer for CB...been avoiding anything to do with the evil empire for the past 16 years!
Apologies for omitting the libs. I have copied those into the archive below, along with the mpb lib.
TokenExamples.zip
(1.28 MiB) Downloaded 61 times
As for what I did when the error came up - I checked the "visible to player" option on the token menus.
The actions I tried to carry out was to run some basic melee and ranged attacks. I also looked at the corresponding entry on your site faq, but none of those issues seem to apply.
I did make use of the "Move Party to Next Map macro" following your suggestion, but still no luck.
When I bring the tokens back to the other (first) map, it all seems to work fine again. :|

StarMan
Dragon

Post by StarMan »

Evil empire or not, the cold hard reality is not all apps are made for Linux and OS X (which is why I liked the now defunct online DDI offering), much as you and I would like for that to be the case. My importer is designed to use Detail Adder and the iws.mx Compendium output. I'm afraid that isn't going to change. Maybe you can install VIrtualBox or some other VM emulator onto your distribution?

I did try your tokens in an unmodified SL 445 campaign although their sky-high damage settings made me scratch my head a little. :? I had no trouble after creating a new map and pasting the Info token into it. Here are the tests I ran:
Change Map Test.html.zip
Thrulgar and goblin test
(23.26 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
Have you tried running Extended Rest on your tokens on the new map? This will reset them back to their original property values. What happens if you attack with Vani and the skeletons? Does the "Choose Targets error check tripped." error say anything in bold text after the "These options ..." text at the end? Did you change the movement metric? It should stay at ONE_ONE_ONE.

DragonFlo
Kobold

Post by DragonFlo »

Thanks again, I really appreciate all your advice.
I have updated the movement settings as you suggested, and have also given pcs extended rest.
I tried to do as you did - paste into a new map...and that seemed to work fine...then I fiddled a little more, and noticed that it works fine on the map I was working on previously, as long as I turn off Fog of War. As soon as that is activated, it seems like none of the tokens can "see" each other. This happens even in a new map, so it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the map I was working on. This may hold a clue as to what is going on?

ps the high damage scores are a mod that I like to play with - I find the D&D thing of whittling away at enemies for ages a little unrealistic and prefer to have faster gameplay with more lethal damage settings, so I am using a kind of percentage-style hp system based on relative size and toughness. Really big monsters may get more than 200, but most humans are around 100, with small humanoids (like goblins) a little bit less.

StarMan
Dragon

Post by StarMan »

Dang I should have thought of that but then again you will note this portion of the error you posted:
DragonFlo wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:14 pm
and in exposed areas of FoW,
Mea culpa for asking what the bolded ending text was when you did, in fact, include it.

Mind you, area attacks should still work, theoretically. Just single target attacks will not. In that case the attacker and defender need to be exposed. Things may get more complicated when you set the map's Vision setting to Night. The other DMs in my group finds all the combinations of these factors too frustrating and elect to just keep all those features turned off. It's not too bad if you get into it bit by bit as it keeps the game interesting.

There is a wisdom in your approach of fewer hits before killing something. That's actually the way my brother plays with his kids. The other benefit is shorter encounters which our group is currently struggling with. Although there is a great degree of faithful accuracy with regard to effects applied and damage sustained, some players are getting frustrated with the 1 round per hour pace we are lumbering along at.

I see their point but performance hits are the price you pay for asking the system to track such a complicated game. There's only so much optimization I can squeeze outta my code but the main culprit is MT 1.7 and it's mysterious thrashing I was asking Wolph about in the previous page. Are you having any adverse runtimes? What do you have your stack size and memory set to? Just curious.

DragonFlo
Kobold

Post by DragonFlo »

Hey Starman, thanks for all your support...unfortunately, this set of macros is way too complex for me to grok and manager...just lost another day or two trying to understand and fx another bug..no luck... I think I'll need to revert to something simpler like Veggiesama's setup, where I still have more flexibility to manage stuff without everything being automated.

StarMan
Dragon

Post by StarMan »

Well you don't have to use all the automation. What bug are you referring to? My group isn't having any trouble other than the performance issues I discussed. Don't forget Veggiesama and the other frameworks are unsupported and have bugs that will never be fixed as explained in my Transition Guide. People who don't read my site and (more importantly) don't watch my videos are going to be lost. Unfortunately my site is down right now so they may be doing maintenance. Anyway, nice chatting with you and best of luck going forward!

DragonFlo
Kobold

Post by DragonFlo »

Thanks Starman,
I have watched as many of your videos as I could access and have read through just about every entry on your site. I mean no disrespect - I'm not a coder, so am struggling with a really steep learning curve, and I am finding it impossible to set up the ms-based software required to run the original CB software.

The latest bugs are:
"m Piercing Strike processing by Erisha commencing ...
Short Sword only choice available. Auto-selecting for Main=Short Sword Off=Dagger
Argument number 1 "22,232" to function "number" must be a number."

Here I am trying to run a basic power I imported using the FL D4e power import macro.
The error comes up for all tokens attempting to run powers. I can't make sense of the error message at all...
NewTokenExamples.zip
(2.4 MiB) Downloaded 64 times
A subsequent bug (after I tried to set up different, very simple macros (on a different copy) seems to come up related to the grave token, which suddenly takes on the name of a particular token, and then prevents any other powers from running.

StarMan
Dragon

Post by StarMan »

No disrespect taken but try as I might, I was not able to reproduce the "Argument number 1 "22,232" to function "number" must be a number." error. I dragged Erisha into my own test campaign and SL 445. In all cases, it worked fine as seen here even though I deliberately tried tripping it up by changing the movement metric to the illegal ONE_TWO_ONE:
Erisha test.html.zip
(43.46 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
The number() function your error is referring to is used in the Attack macro. This can be fixed by opening that macro on the MPB and changing line 7 to this:

[Move=2]
I have absolutely no idea where its getting "22,232" from as getMoveCount() is only supposed to return whole numbers like 1 or 2 or 3 etc. As such, this fix should be completely unnecessary. Nevertheless there is no harm in implementing it so I will include in SL 446. Thanks for bringing to my attention! Reports like this help other users in our community who might be having the same problem.
DragonFlo wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:34 am
A subsequent bug (after I tried to set up different, very simple macros (on a different copy) seems to come up related to the grave token, which suddenly takes on the name of a particular token, and then prevents any other powers from running.
That's not a bug. This is the MPB's way of telling you that a token was illegally renamed or deleted. It renames the Grave token to the absent token to resolve the effect in question. When this happens, run Disengage on the Grave token and then Reset. This properly removes the lost token from the MPB's tracking mechanisms. The moral? ONLY use FL->Rename This Token for this purpose. If you do it manually you are asking for trouble.

BTW, do NOT use Import dnd4e Powers when importing single powers as this will pollute the text with unsightly "#"s. That's technically a bug but it won't hurt the running of the power. For single powers, it's better to run Import PC Power and then paste the power text in the little box that comes up.

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”