Pathfinder Spell Database Library (UPDATED 19.0811.1)

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

aranginor
Giant

Pathfinder Spell Database Library (UPDATED 19.0811.1)

Post by aranginor »

This is a spell database that I pulled from http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/tools/spells-db/ which is hosted on pathfindercommunity.net.

Thanks to Full Bleed for ALL of the graphics!!! :)

It has the following features:
  • Over 2900 spells
  • Pre-indexed for
    • class
    • domain
    • bloodlines
    • school
    • descriptor
  • Searchable (by name)
  • GM can restrict access to spells by source.
  • GM can override source restrictions by class, bloodline, domain and subdomain.
  • GM can view restricted spells by source (disabled by default)
  • Sample macros to show, link and search spells
  • Player custom settings
  • Supports Nildik's frame table (if exists)
  • Settings are stored to a dynamically created shadow tokens so settings are not lost when the library is updated.
Respect and thanks to lmarkus001, aliasmask, wolph42, JamzTheMan, Wrathgon, and Plothos. Looking through your macros helped me build this. So if there are any problems, it is your fault. ;)

Thanks to Full Bleed for icons, feature requests and LOTS of testing.

I wanted to put this in Drop In Resources, but can't post there.

Main Screen

Spell View

Settings

Items that are "dimmed" are from restricted source and are only visible to the GM when the setting is enabled. Players will not see the dimmed items.

Link spell to chat (if GM has enabled)

Code: Select all

[r: pfspells.linkSpell("Silent Image")]
Show spell view

[h: pfspells.showSpell("Create Pit")]
Lookup spell details

[r: pfspells.getSpellDetail("Fireball","range")]
Search for "Cure" spells (if GM has enabled)

[r: pfspells.searchSpells("Cure")]
Install instructions
  • Please Lib:PFSpells on your library map. Leave the space to the left of the token blank. This is where all the dynamically created shadow tokens will go.
  • Click onCampaignLoad.
  • Open PFSpells with one of the campaign macros provided. A settings token will be created. This will only happen once.
  • Re-open PFSpells. The global settings token and any player shadow tokens will automatically be created.
  • When a brand new player joins, a shadow token will need to be created. This is done on the settings screen. This only has to be done once. The next time the player connects, their shadow token will already have been created.
Attachments
LibPFSpells.rptok
(163.34 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
pf.spells.images.mttable
(1.46 MiB) Downloaded 143 times
pf.spells.index.mttable
(402.78 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
pf.spells.spell.mttable
(1.43 MiB) Downloaded 142 times
Last edited by aranginor on Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:08 pm, edited 48 times in total.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Pathfinder Spell Database Library

Post by aliasmask »

I recommend a couple of images and/or a video showing the different aspects of the drop-in. Does your library list the book source as well?

aranginor
Giant

Post by aranginor »

Added some pics. Book source is displayed on Spell view.

aranginor
Giant

Post by aranginor »

Now that you mention it, I think I will add a source filter so a GM can limit the source books. Will start working on it.

Sereptus
Giant

Post by Sereptus »

Great resource! All Pathfinder Spells at my fingertips! Thanks for sharing!
OOOHH RegEx....YOU BITTER-SWEET BEAST!!!

aranginor
Giant

Post by aranginor »

*Added updates for source filtering.
Last edited by aranginor on Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

aranginor wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 7:52 pm
DISCONTINUED FOR NOW. Need to redesign. The non-table version locked up our gaming session. Will convert back to using tables and will re-upload when ready.
Care to share what you have?

I'm primarily interested in the interface and output. I used to store my spells on library tokens that were broken into source. Back in the day I did it that way because we had a 1000 loop limit so it made it difficult to search through the 1600 spells that were available at the time. It sounds like they're up to 2900 now! :shock: Since then I've moved over to a table method (also broken down by source), but I haven't done much to setup a pretty display or lookup interface. Was hoping to scavenge from your scavenged work... ;)
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

aranginor
Giant

Post by aranginor »

Library is back up. Tables are once again required.

Any problems, let me know.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

aranginor wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:50 am
Library is back up. Tables are once again required.

Any problems, let me know.
Thanks for the share. This is a sweet resource.

However, the "Source" sorting options in settings isn't working.

I run a game closer to Core so being able to toggle off sources is important (and will hopefully speed things up)... being able to toggle off certain classes and domains would be really nice, too. ;)

I was also wondering if it might be nice to get the sorting tables into one table. MT doesn't do a great job of organizing/displaying tables so the fewer the better. It could probably be done without too much recoding by combining the table and just adding a base number for certain lookups. So if Alpha and Class used the same table the Alpha lookup would still be range 0-26 while the Class range would be 100-125 (i.e. the same code as now but with +100 on the Class lookup), etc.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

aranginor
Giant

Post by aranginor »

The source option is not a sort, it makes certain sources not available. Players cannot see sources that are not selected, but DM's can always see them and they are highlighted in red.

I will look at table consolidations. Right now, I download the spreadsheet, click a button to import the data into SQL, then click a button to export to maptools tables. It should not be too hard.

Let me know about the source problem. I will also check into being able to disable certain classes.

aranginor
Giant

Post by aranginor »

[*]Consolidated all indexes into one table
[*]Can restrict access to spells by class. A restricted class may still list on the Spell page, but it will no longer be clickable.

aranginor
Giant

Post by aranginor »

The sources feature does not speed things up. In fact, it actually slows things down. Since everything has been pre-indexed, when checking which spells to list, I have to check each spell to see if it is allowed or not while I build the list. Checking spell by spell is why it runs as slow as it does.

The first version of this library did not have source filtering and I was able to cache every possible page. That was very fast. I have thought about the idea of adding the caching back, but I have a few problems to overcome.
  1. Building the cache takes a long time. Any time source or class filters are changed, the cache would have to be rebuilt.
  2. Caching and settings are saved to the PFSpells token, however, every time I update the library, the cache and settings would be destroyed. I am thinking of including a settings library that could store the settings and cache independently from the main library. This is actually what I do for all my modules in my campaign.
  3. Right now, the DM sees a different spell list depending on the filtering.
    1. I could create a player cache and a GM cache, or
    2. I could just have the GM see what the players see based on source and class filters
Still thinking. Any ideas would be great.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

aranginor wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:12 pm
The source option is not a sort, it makes certain sources not available. Players cannot see sources that are not selected, but DM's can always see them and they are highlighted in red.

Let me know about the source problem.
Ok... I selected only Core, APG, and Ultimate Magic... and I could see all of the spells (presumably because I am the DM)... but I don't see anything that's highlighted red. I actually don't need/want to see spells from source I don't want to use in the campaign at all.
I will look at table consolidations. Right now, I download the spreadsheet, click a button to import the data into SQL, then click a button to export to maptools tables. It should not be too hard.

[*]Consolidated all indexes into one table
I see you've done this. Nice. Need to download your new version and check it out. :)
I will also check into being able to disable certain classes.

[*]Can restrict access to spells by class. A restricted class may still list on the Spell page, but it will no longer be clickable.
Looks like you've addressed this, too. Thanks.

aranginor
Giant

Post by aranginor »

To test the filtering, what I did was to disable Core, then go looking for Magic Missile.

And in case you missed it, there is a save button at the bottom.

aranginor
Giant

Post by aranginor »

Also,

I am going to enable caching which will make everything run much faster. It just has to be rebuilt after changing settings.

I am also going to include my Global Setting library that holds the settings for PFSpells that way the settings and cache do not get wiped out during a library update.

Return to “User Creations”