Pathfinder Spell Database Library (UPDATED 19.0811.1)

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

aranginor
Giant

Re: Pathfinder Spell Database Library (UPDATED 19.0729.2)

Post by aranginor »

I don't want to be too critical of MT for this though...
Yeah, same. Sometimes I just want to explode from the limitations. Then I remember, 1) Maptools is free, 2) If I think I could do better, write my own.

Tremendous amount of respect for the work that has been put in to make Maptools what it is. It may have limitations, but for someone like me, it is by far the best out there.

aranginor
Giant

Post by aranginor »

Full Bleed,

I am real close to having this done. I need a few things from you first.

1. I need two graphics from you like the setting and images graphics you did. One that says GLOBAL and one that says PLAYER
2. On the two graphic sets you provided, i need to know what frames, font, colors and codes you want set in their theme

Thanks.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

aranginor wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:28 pm
I am real close to having this done. I need a few things from you first.

1. I need two graphics from you like the setting and images graphics you did. One that says GLOBAL and one that says PLAYER
These for tables or tokens?
2. On the two graphic sets you provided, i need to know what frames, font, colors and codes you want set in their theme
I'll need to come up with some better defaults. I know it was Frame 8 for the "narrow" theme. But, for now, you could just use the defaults you were using for the rest of it.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

aranginor
Giant

Post by aranginor »

Tokens.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

aranginor wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:49 pm
Tokens.
I went with the assumption that they were for settings...

PFSpells - Global Settings.png
PFSpells - Global Settings.png (60.72 KiB) Viewed 5604 times
PFSpells - Player Settings.png
PFSpells - Player Settings.png (60.62 KiB) Viewed 5604 times
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

aranginor
Giant

Re: Pathfinder Spell Database Library (UPDATED 19.0802.1)

Post by aranginor »

new version up (19.0802.1)

I went with your shadow token idea. The library will automatically create an empty settings token to be used as a blank template for the global setting token and the player shadow tokens. None of this can be done during onCampaignLoad as it requires map switching. The settings token, the global token, and all shadow tokens are stacked in the square to the left of PFSpells.

The library requires a one time initialization that happens the first time the GM loads PFSpells. If a player tries to use PFSpells before the initialization happens, they receive a message telling them to ask the GM to start PFSpells. If a brand new player joins after initialization, they receive a message telling them to ask the GM to create their shadow token, which can be done via the settings screen.

I added a player maintenance so you can delete old players. If you delete a player that is currently connected, their shadow token is automatically re-created with defaults. This acts as a reset if a player messes up their settings.

I also added a theme selector. When you click it, it gives you an option to select a theme number. When you click ok, PFSpells will close and re-load to the settings screen with the new theme loaded.

Unfortunately, anytime the GM does anything that will create or delete a token, their screen will flicker during the map switching. Once the initialization is done and all players have their shadow tokens, everything should operate normally, without map switching. Annoying during setup, but this completely prevents any concurrency issues and bypasses the slow table updates. The provided tables are now only read from. There is zero writing to tables.

Give it a go, and let me know.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

aranginor wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:25 pm
If a brand new player joins after initialization, they receive a message telling them to ask the GM to create their shadow token, which can be done via the settings screen.
I think you should just default to the default settings in this case and only force a shadow token creation if the player is going to not use defaults. My casters will probably want to create something custom, but non-casters are only likely to care about spells insofar as maybe clicking on something shared in chat. I don't think GM's are going to want to go through setting up a shadow token in the middle of combat for some non-caster types that rarely (if ever) use the library anyway.
I also added a theme selector. When you click it, it gives you an option to select a theme number. When you click ok, PFSpells will close and re-load to the settings screen with the new theme loaded.
Can we give Themes and Graphic sets names? Without names I think it's all a little confusing because frame styles, graphics sets, and now themes are all just numbers.
Unfortunately, anytime the GM does anything that will create or delete a token, their screen will flicker during the map switching. Once the initialization is done and all players have their shadow tokens, everything should operate normally, without map switching. Annoying during setup, but this completely prevents any concurrency issues and bypasses the slow table updates. The provided tables are now only read from. There is zero writing to tables.

Give it a go, and let me know.
Early tests looks good.

Might be able to test this with multiplayer this weekend... will report how that goes.

Other notes--

DeBugging/Timing Code: Various time stamps are being tossed to chat off Home navigation.

BUG: Frame Preview in Settings is throwing an error.

Btw, I was going to suggest that you use the left corner graphic of frames for selection thumbnails in the frame drop-down to provide a kind of preview. Not great but better than nothing and enough to jog one's memory if you're just kind of looking through them and testing them out.

Lastly, did you get to any of my Home navigation table requests? I was in the middle of a new graphics set but decided to stop to see if the new table settings would be more conducive to what I was trying to do.

aranginor
Giant

Post by aranginor »

I think you should just default to the default settings in this case and only force a shadow token creation if the player is going to not use defaults.
I could do that. If the GM creates the shadow tokens after every one connects (single click on settings page), then they never have to do it again unless a brand new player connects. I could set to default, and if they don't have a shadow token created, don't display the save button under general settings.
Can we give Themes and Graphic sets names?
Yes, give the names for the ones you created and I will add it.
DeBugging/Timing Code: Various time stamps are being tossed to chat off Home navigation.
BUG: Frame Preview in Settings is throwing an error.
oops, will dig it out and fix it.
Lastly, did you get to any of my Home navigation table requests?
Spellnames have been able to wrap for a while now. The problem is sometimes you get a spell like Clairaudince/Clairvoyance. There is no space in the name to allow wrapping. With this version I fixed all the names I could. The longest named spell is now Prestidigitation.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

aranginor wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:37 pm
Can we give Themes and Graphic sets names?
Yes, give the names for the ones you created and I will add it.
Color Wheel Curve
Spellfire
Lastly, did you get to any of my Home navigation table requests?
Spellnames have been able to wrap for a while now. The problem is sometimes you get a spell like Clairaudince/Clairvoyance. There is no space in the name to allow wrapping. With this version I fixed all the names I could. The longest named spell is now Prestidigitation.
I meant this request... I think it got lost in the shuffle... I've added some more text for clarification:
Requests for image navigation table on the home page:

1) Remove all padding (so adjacent cell images can "touch".)
2) Make row one a single cell (width of frame.) It's impacting my ability to place a smaller graphic in the second column of Row 2 (because it's currently sizing to the image in row 1.)
3) Center images horizontally and vertically within the cells (right now I think it's centered and top justified, so if I put a smaller image in the Rules cell it top justfies and looks funny.)

aranginor
Giant

Post by aranginor »

Yes, I made those changes. I think I know what you are trying to do. I will run some tests this morning.

aranginor
Giant

Post by aranginor »

I am not sure if this is what you were after, but in the version I am about to release

This

becomes

Let me know if that works for you.

Note: the 1 pixel offset on the bottom row is caused because that row only has an even number of cells. With table width at 100% and centered, when the page is an odd number of pixels wide, that odd pixel has to go somewhere. The only way to fix this is to go to an odd number of cells in the last row, or change the table width to a static number instead of percentage. Maybe we could set the table width as part of the theme to accommodate different sized graphics?

aranginor
Giant

Re: Pathfinder Spell Database Library (UPDATED 19.0803.1)

Post by aranginor »

new version up (19.0803.1)

Fixed the off shift of the bottom row by setting the table width to the sum of the widest row of graphics then increasing to an even number that is evenly divisible by 3.

Theme names applied.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

aranginor wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:46 am
I am not sure if this is what you were after, but in the version I am about to release

Let me know if that works for you.
Yeah, that looks to be exactly what I was hoping for. :)

Will put it through it's paces tonight. I might need to update the graphics I've already sent to give them some built in padding.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Ran into a problem when Expanding Graphics:

1) Will need to setup a Theme Name and some other default settings on "Expansion." Currently there is no way to access the new Theme after "Expand Graphics" is used and graphics are populated in the new slots. It throws an error looking for the name (presumably it will work when the new Theme settings field is set.)
2) Instead of having the library fail without graphics, use some kind of placeholder graphic (even if it's just a black circle or something.)
3) Warn that it takes awhile to add the table entries and will broadcast to chat when it's finished.

Sorting Suggestion:

Maybe add a clickable column header (Name, School, Source) for when the various spell lists come up to allow people to sort by alpha, school, or source? Looks like when using Alpha it sorts by alpha. When using Class/Level it sorts by school.

Aesthetic:

Might want to change the name of the launch landing "Home" to something like "Class Home." And I was thinking that there should be a shortcut somewhere on the interface to always get to one's class home no matter where you are. I'm thinking if you have a Class Home set have a little class icon next to the Home icon (I suggest that the default be a Star.)

aranginor
Giant

Post by aranginor »

Btw, I was going to suggest that you use the left corner graphic of frames for selection thumbnails in the frame drop-down to provide a kind of preview.
I tried to do this and it did not work. Using an html select tag. Tried to use the background-image in the style property of the option tag. Did not seem to work. It ignored the style property.
1) Will need to setup a Theme Name and some other default settings on "Expansion." Currently there is no way to access the new Theme after "Expand Graphics" is used and graphics are populated in the new slots. It throws an error looking for the name (presumably it will work when the new Theme settings field is set.)
2) Instead of having the library fail without graphics, use some kind of placeholder graphic (even if it's just a black circle or something.)
3) Warn that it takes awhile to add the table entries and will broadcast to chat when it's finished.
This has all been fixed.
Maybe add a clickable column header (Name, School, Source) for when the various spell lists come up to allow people to sort by alpha, school, or source? Looks like when using Alpha it sorts by alpha. When using Class/Level it sorts by school.
Live sorting is not an option. The spell database is too big. The reason Alpha is sorted alphabetically and Class/Level is by school is because I pre-sort them in the index table. Searches always come back alphabetically because that is the order the spells are in the spells table. Let me think about it.
Might want to change the name of the launch landing "Home" to something like "Class Home."
Do you mean the Home setting on the settings page?
And I was thinking that there should be a shortcut somewhere on the interface to always get to one's class home
Send me a couple of stars for your themes that match the height of home and settings graphics.

Return to “User Creations”