Melek's Simple 5e Framework - Updated 8/6/20 - Version 2.2.1

Framework(s) for D&D 5e.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

rogue_ronin
Kobold

Re: Melek's Simple 5e Framework - Updated 5/4/20 - Version 2.0

Post by rogue_ronin »

Love this, been playing around with your framework a bit as I watch videos about Maptool, but now I want to get serious. I would like to integrate your framework with the new spell library and with the drop-in monster tokens.

Here's what I think I have to do

1) load your campaign file ( Meleks Simple 5e v2.0.cmpgn ) into a freshly started Maptool 1.6.1 instance

2) drag Merudo's Lib_SpellLibrary_v1.1.rptok from my file manager to the 0.0 Simple 5e Library map in your campaign framework that I've opened.

3) extract a folder of bobifle's v6 rptok files into my preferred, permanent hard-drive location.

3a) Add that folder to the Resource Library?

3b) Do NOT add his library token to your 0.0 Simple 5e Library map, because you have one already there in your framework?

(Still a noob with questions. :) )

4) Save this freshly set-up campaign as a default to load for future campaign builds.

4a) Save again as a current campaign to work from.

4b) some kind of onCampaignLoad?

5) weeks later, if I'm feeling daring, install Wolph42's Bag of Tricks

Aloha, and huge thanks for all your work at making things more clear -- both with this framework, and with your work on the wiki.

digiacom
Cave Troll

Post by digiacom »

You've got it!

3a: If you want, you can drag and drop bobifle's tokens from a folder in your regular OS file explorer into MapTool's map view instead, but I think it is best to have them added as a Resource Library so you don't have to leave MapTool to add tokens.

You will only have to add the tokens to your resource library once on your computer, since that is a setting for your installation of MapTool, not a campaign setting. :)

3b: Exactly, you could replace the Addon5e library I include with a freshly downloaded one if you want, but I believe at this time I have the latest version included.

4a Regarding 'onCampaignLoad' macros: if you save and reopen the campaign after adding a new Library token that has an onCampaignLoad macro, it will run automatically and you'll never have to think about it again. If you really don't want to reload your campaign for some reason, you can also run the 'onCampaignLoad' macros manually by clicking on them and it should work fine.

So excited you're giving it a try!
a.k.a. Melek on Discord.
Check out my Simple 5e Framework!

bobifle
Giant

Post by bobifle »

Let's hope that MT 2.0 comes very soon 8) collaborating on a framework is very difficult right now.

digiacom
Cave Troll

Re: Melek's Simple 5e Framework - Updated 5/14/20 - Version 2.1

Post by digiacom »

Simple 5e 2.1 is released!

Check out the OP for download links, or get them on GitHub.

I've also updated the GitHub readme significantly to serve as a backup to the forum post here, and am inviting bugs and feature suggestions there since GitHub makes it so easy to track. Star the repository there if you'd like to get updates regarding issues and new releases!

If you already have a Simple 5e 2.0 campaign and want to update, I've tried to make that a smooth process with some instructions and an optional Update token that can help you upgrade right in MapTool, check those out here.
a.k.a. Melek on Discord.

itisteddy
Kobold

Post by itisteddy »

I spent hours today trying to make a custom campaign for myself and my friends. I programmed hours worth of macros and map customization. I had one last minute idea on a few changes before going to bed now i'm getting this error. If anyone could help me i'll upload my campaign as well.
Attachments
Meleks Simple 5e v2.1.cmpgn
(15.39 MiB) Downloaded 56 times
eab5c6b07c3b4088223d5f9ae808dd0f.png
eab5c6b07c3b4088223d5f9ae808dd0f.png (46.15 KiB) Viewed 6063 times

digiacom
Cave Troll

Post by digiacom »

Hi itisteddy,

I'm so sorry to hear about this :( Indeed I get the exact same error you do, both trying to open in MapTool 1.5.14 and 1.7.0. I've never seen this before, I doubt it has anything to do with the framework and looks like somehow your campaign file got corrupted. I don't know what could cause this! :(

I urge you to try the support channel on Discord to see if someone might have an idea of how to recover your corrupted campaign file.

Things you might try:
Autosave: Check your MapTool's data directory (usually in your user folder in a directory specified in the Preferences -> Startup tab) for a 'backup' directory. This directory contains campaign auto-saves and might have a working version of your campaign. (The Autosaves directory, somewhat confusingly, is only for autosaved chatlogs).
Extract your data: A very slim silver lining is that you can recover some of your work. Campaign files are ZIP archives with XML files and image assets put together. By renaming a copy of your campaign with the '.zip' extension, you can extract these files and images. Your customized macros are going to be deep in the guts of the 'content.xml' file, and all your images (and many others) will be in the 'assets' directory.

I'm so sorry this has happened, I've lost work before and it is devastating!
a.k.a. Melek on Discord.

midnightdl
Kobold

Post by midnightdl »

itisteddy, try the fixed version of your file.

There was corruption in content.xml

Line

Code: Select all

<entry>
                    <int>17</int>
                    <net.rptools.maptool.model.MacroButtonProperties>
                      <macroUUID>f7543936-9e1a-436d-96fe-7ed3fdc4d831</macroUUID>
                      <saveLoc`tion>Token</saveLocation>
                      <index>17</index>
                      <colorKey>#dada9a</colorKey>
                      <hotKey>None</hotKey>
Wonder how that single quote got in there during save.
Attachments
Meleks Simple 5e v2.1 fixed.cmpgn
(15.39 MiB) Downloaded 46 times

AZgang
Kobold

Post by AZgang »

Not to hi-jack this thread, but has anyone heard of a campaign called:

S5e2.1_BoT_Spell_Mnstr_States.cmpgn.zip

I heard it has all of the following components preinstalled:

Bobifle's 5e SRD Monster Tokens
Merudo's Spell LIbrary for Melek's Simple 5e Framework (v1.1)
Wolph42's Bag of Tricks (b46)
Illydth's SpellStates (this archive) (Latest Version)
Melek's Simple 5e V2.1

HighwayBlaster
Kobold

Post by HighwayBlaster »

Melek this is awesome! I have just started learning about macros to get more out of MapTool for my 5e game and you've done most of the work for me!

Is there a way to implement a monster stat block importer into your framework? Would be something like copy the monster stat block text from a pdf or d&d Beyond, run a macro, paste the text and boom a monster stat block sheet (like the one Bobifle uses) is created. Personally I would be VERY happy for just that functionality as I do all my dice rolls the old fashioned way but if you wanted to have it so when you paste that text into the importer it automatically creates macros for the various monster attacks/abilities.

I have tried using Bobifle's recommended token editor but I get a Undefined function: css.main error

I've found an importer or two already on this forum but haven't been able to get it to work properly yet (like I said, I've only just started learning about macros!)

Thanks again for creating this!

memo05
Kobold

Post by memo05 »

I recently downloaded you're framework and I love it. However, when I try to add a custom counter I get an error saying I don't have permission to call the "log.info" function. I spent most of the day looking through the forums and trying their solutions, but nothing has worked, I even re-downloaded maptool. If you have an idea of what the issue could be please let me know. Thank you for your help.

digiacom
Cave Troll

Post by digiacom »

Hi Memo,

So sorry you're having so much trouble! There is indeed a workaround for this issue, found here:
https://github.com/melek/Simple5e/issues/15

To fix it, change [h: vInfo = isGm()] to[h: vInfo = 0] in the offending GM macro - I think both Custom Counters and Create Action use this code.

MapTool 1.8 should not have this problem :)
a.k.a. Melek on Discord.

digiacom
Cave Troll

Re: Melek's Simple 5e Framework - Updated 7/31/20 - Version 2.2

Post by digiacom »

Announcing Simple5e 2.2!

There are a few new features and small bugfixes in this release, I encourage you to checkout the opening post or check it out on GitHub :)
a.k.a. Melek on Discord.

Glomertam
Kobold

Post by Glomertam »

Hey Melek!

I just downloaded and started looking at your 5e Framework. First off, this is very awesome. I had been trying to create my own Framework, but kept going "oh, but I also need this..." and ended up having to rewrite and start over a couple of times. I looked at some of the other Frameworks, and thought that (while they are impressive) they are a little bit too complicated to add some custom stuff.

Anyway, I have a couple of questions regarding your Framework:

1) How would I go about adding macro buttons for ability checks. I see that you provide buttons for saving throws and skill checks. But I didn't see anything for general ability checks.

2) How difficult would it be to add custom class information? By that, I mean new classes. In the "Configure Token" macro, I see that you can directly add levels of all the standard classes (and the Artificier). I know I could tweak that macro to add levels of some new class, but I assume that there are other macros that use this information, and would also need to be tweaked.

digiacom
Cave Troll

Post by digiacom »

Hello Glomertam,

I'm so glad you're enjoying the framework and I hope it helps you get to playing quickly!

Adding Simple Ability Checks
Glomertam wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:34 am
1) How would I go about adding macro buttons for ability checks. I see that you provide buttons for saving throws and skill checks. But I didn't see anything for general ability checks.
A general ability check is simply 1d20 + Modifier. Generally, my players roll a d20 and then we add their modifier verbally or mentally since these kinds of checks are rare in my group; however they are easy to add macros for! All the macro needs to contain for, say, a Strength check is:

[1d20 + StrMod]
We can dress it up a little bit to look like our Skill checks by writing an emote ahead of the roll adding the 't:' roll option to the roll, so it shows the details in a tooltip:

/me attempts a Strength check! ([t:1d20 + StrMod])
Though I encourage you to make them yourself, I've also made a couple macrosets you can import into your Standard Token that has all six basic ability checks in a color-coded group matching the rest of the framework.

One uses the short names (Str/Dex etc). These take up less room, but it is a bit of bad practice since those Macro names are shared with the Saving Throw macros.

There is also a version with the full long names (Strength/Dexterity etc), which takes up more room but is less ambiguous. I recommend this version if you can spare the space.

You can download either version on GitHub here: https://github.com/melek/Simple5e/tree/ ... y%20Macros

To install, download the macro set you prefer, right-click on the selection panel while selecting the token you'd like (such as the Standard Token), and click 'Import Macro Set'. Then select the downloaded macro set and they will appear on the token.

Adding a New Class
Glomertam wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:34 am
2) How difficult would it be to add custom class information? By that, I mean new classes.
The only place Classes are used apart from the Configure macro is in the HD property calculations. There is literally no other class-specific code in the framework, so it is entirely up to you to add such code. Here is how to add a class:
  • Update the Configure Token Macro: Add your class to the list of classes on line 30. Follow the comma-separated format of the list. Don't include spaces in two-part class names, as you'll need this to match the property you are about to create.

To stay organized, enter it into the string list in alphabetical order.
  • Add your class as a Basic token property: Open Edit > Campaign Properties, click on the 'Basic' Token Type, and add your class property (no spaces) with a default value of zero and add an '@' symbol to make the property only visible to the owner/GM.. For instance:

@BloodHunter:0
    To stay organized, enter it under the ___CLASS_LEVELS___ header.
  • Add your class to the correct HD property: Also in Edit > Campaign Properties in the 'Basic' Token Type, scroll down to the HD4/HD6/HD8/HD10/HD12/HD20 properties. See where Class Names are added together to calculate the HD values, and add your new class name to the correct list.

For instance, if your Blood Hunter is an HD10 class, the new HD10 list will look like:

@HD10:{BloodHunter+Fighter+Paladin+Ranger}
Now that you have your new class, it you can use the new class property ('BloodHunter' in our example) in macros to check the token's level in that class for calculations!

Let me know if you have any further questions :)
a.k.a. Melek on Discord.

digiacom
Cave Troll

Re: Melek's Simple 5e Framework - Updated 8/6/20 - Version 2.2.1

Post by digiacom »

Just letting people know that there were a few bad bugs in 2.2, so I spent a day cleaning up the campaign and am releasing 2.2.1 as a hotfix/patch version. Enjoy!

Full Changelog on Github
a.k.a. Melek on Discord.

Return to “D&D 5e Frameworks”