Rico's PF2e Framework - preview 2

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

Ish
Kobold

Re: Rico's PF2e Framework - preview 2

Post by Ish »

This is great, really. Thanks!

I'm still learning how to properly use many things (The door macro looks great, the only thing I need now is to learn how to put one of those doors in the map :oops: ), but it is a lot of help.

I've even learnt to do some very basic macros for my players (just roll basic dices), using the AssetID to be able to use images instead of text.
The hero point indicators is something I was looking for because we usually forget about them... Well, just congrats and again, thanks for sharing this. It's been more than a month without beeing able to meet my friends (I'm from Spain) and we are getting back to play, and this is a huge help dealing with a new system, playing online...

Ish
Kobold

Post by Ish »

I've been using your framework a lot this days, and I have a suggestion. While in Exploration mode, it would be nice to have something like the condition icons for showing what is each PC doing. (Until I learn more about the whole macro system I've just copied a bunch of condition status to the campaing window and renamed them into Scout, Seek, Investigate... for keeping track of everybody's activities).

I guess this may fall into the "easy to track" category of things you talked about, but for people new to PF2 the visual reminder is quite helpful to get used to the system.

One last little thing I've noticed: When you use the statblock macro, the HP for the new token is 0. It's obviously no biggie to change it to full health, but probably would be good to add an " HP=HPmax" at the end of the macro.

Again, thanks a lot for the framework. My players are really excited about it.

shandrakor
Kobold

Post by shandrakor »

Along with defaulting HP to max after statblock/PC creation, another QOL fix I'd include is defaulting to "do the thing." I understand and generally agree with the "Are you sure?" prompt on resetting HP, clearing conditions, etc...but currently the default in the dialog box is Cancel, which slows down clicking through multiple things when I definitely intended to press the button I pressed.

Ish
Kobold

Post by Ish »

shandarkor, you can change that quite easily.
If you select the map with the librarys and edit the SetFullheath macro in the Lib:Health token, you just need to find and change this:

Code: Select all

[h: inputStr = json.append(inputStr,
	"choice|<html><b>Cancel,<html><b><font color=red>Clear health states|<html>Are you sure?|RADIO|ORIENT=H VALUE=NUMBER SELECT=0 SPAN=TRUE"
)]
Into this: (change Select=0 into Select=1)

Code: Select all

[h: inputStr = json.append(inputStr,
	"choice|<html><b>Cancel,<html><b><font color=red>Clear health states|<html>Are you sure?|RADIO|ORIENT=H VALUE=NUMBER SELECT=1 SPAN=TRUE"
)]
Now I'm facing an issue i'm not sure how to handle, with the Untrained Improvisation feat (all my players are humans and are going to have it thanks to the ancestry feat). It looks like it will not be easy to solve.

RicoTheBold
Kobold

Post by RicoTheBold »

First of all everyone, thanks for letting me know people are using this at all, and for the feedback. When I started adding in automatic handling for HP and death/dying, I never expected that this would turn into what it has or that I'd ever actually consider it even vaguely useful for anyone else. I'm sorry for not checking this thread often enough. You can also @ me on the Discord if I'm lagging in my responses, but I would like to mostly keep discussion here so that the answers are easily found by anyone else looking here.

Ish - for the doors, I can't take much credit - it's pretty much Jamz's approach and I only added a few quality of life testing macros so I could open/close more doors at once to test stuff. As for adding doors, it's as easy as can be. Just take a door-shaped token (You can find images folks have made online, but it can be as simple as a single-colored rectangle), add vision-blocking (in the edit token options, documented on the official wiki), put it where you want when it's closed (set facing helps with the orientation) and hit the "save door as closed" macro button. Then move it/change facing to whatever position you want for it to be open and hit the "save door as open" button. That's it - if you want to toggle the door you can select it (or the token nearest to it - I put my doors on the object layer so clicking the creature trying to open the door is often more convenient) and click the little open door macro or the closed door macro buttons. Those buttons also work if you select *a* door, but not more than one. The "open this door" and "close this door" macros are mainly useful if you want to select multiple doors at a time.

Still Ish - The new HP to max HP thing is one of those things that's super obviously an easy improvement and the main reason I haven't done it is very dumb - if I want to update something on a token, I use the same configuration macro to run through each step. If it set current HP to max HP, it wouldn't be useful to fix stuff. It's dumb because 99% of the time I run this when I'm creating a token, so I'm adding more hassle almost every time - but even this has an easy fix now that I'm thinking about it - I could just make it check if HP = 0 first. I'm just going to do that right now.

Still Ish - I've thought about adding exploration states like you suggest - mostly I haven't because it feels like just one more thing I need to toggle off when combat starts (although that cleanup could easily be added to the initiative macro). With 5 players, it takes almost no mental power to remember who is doing what if it matters, so I mostly just don't. The only exception for hitting "raise a shield" if someone is defending, 'cause why not, it's literally the same thing. The "new player" thing is valid, though, and I've seen it used effectively there in person with cards and online in Roll20 during PFS games. Since I already have the "condition report" functionality, it would be easy to let a player set one and then call up the rules for it whenever they wanted a reminder. I'll think about adding this.

Shandrakor - I understand your frustration with defaulting to cancel. I do that because it's super easy to accidentally have like five tokens selected when you click a macro, and one of the things I usually do is try to make it so that the macro will run on everything that's selected. One of these days I should really create a set of global preferences to allow for toggles of that kind of behavior for things that are really a matter of preference - the fact they don't exist is mostly a side effect of this having been built for my use first. That, and the additional complexity that bleeds away some of the modularity/hackability of the design. But it should be easy, it's just one of those things that requires going back and tweaking every little macro that has defaults that might need to be configurable. The "full health" one hasn't quite managed to annoy me yet with the default to cancel, but I will admit that I ended up switching to "less safe" defaults on some newer macros (defaulting to adding NPC attacks).

Ish (again) - Untrained improvisation is a bit of a problem right now, and the fact the problem still exists makes it obvious none of my players have taken it. As I recall, I actually have a variable to define the multiplier for "level to untrained skills" in the skill calculation macro, so all that really needs to happen is to track whether a PC token has something to modify that multiplier, and then change the skill calculation macro to either look for or accept overrides for that value. The idea was to support feats like that or the eventual GMG variant rules for how checks increase by level (using global overrides - in case someone wanted to play a PF2 but with D&D5-style non-scaling proficiency).

The main updates I've made since the last posted version are some cosmetic stuff (cleaning up the chat window "/self" spam that collected when I moved macros to library tokens, reformatting the HP macro output to make it easier to tell what was done if you're scrolling back up to double-check something), fixing the group roll macro to accept skill/DC overrides if the check is a perception/save (it comes up sometimes), and some in-progress-but-functional-enough-that-I-use-it NPC attack automatic macro support and a generic damage/basic save quick output macro (just enter a dice string for a spell or something like 5d8+6 and it rolls it, calculating the damage for the various basic save results. Both will spit out clickable macro links to apply the damage (I took the macrolink approach from aliasmask's in-progress framework, but it runs it through my same HP change macro so it will do death/dying the same as it would otherwise). There's a bunch of tracking of damage type that doesn't currently do anything but is intended to eventually allow for support of damage type immunities/resistances/weaknesses.

I also spent a bunch of time learning Roll20 enough to run a game (and play in many more) for PaizoCon, which let me get annoyed by a whole different set of tool quirks. I'll try to get to another good point for cleanup to push another update, but my actual home game has caught up to my prep.

Return to “User Creations”