Dice Images: Multi-Color Polyhedrons

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

gunnarskeep
Kobold

Dice Images: Multi-Color Polyhedrons

Post by gunnarskeep »

Attached is a .ZIP file of a collection of dice images I created in a 3D CAD modeler, and rendered in KeyShot. The results are quite nice, and I thought I'd share. Enjoy!

Dice Images.zip
(3.89 MiB) Downloaded 66 times

There are nine (9) colors of complete dice sets (d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20, and d100):

Dice Colors:
Dice Colors.png
Dice Colors.png (102.12 KiB) Viewed 5767 times

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Dice Images: Multi-Color Polyhedrons

Post by aliasmask »

Nice. I like that you have an image for each die side. Great job. Do you have a link for attribution. Otherwise I'll just put "gunnarskeep".

gunnarskeep
Kobold

Post by gunnarskeep »

Nope. Just a lowly Kobold dwelling in the darkest depths of obscurity. 8) "gunnarskeep" is fine! Thank you!

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Nice. Thanks for sharing!

That said... I hate to look a gift-horse in the mouth... but what these *really* need are transparent backgrounds. The white box behind each dice won't mesh well with many frameworks.

Can you render these with a transparent background?

Some other suggestions:

1) Alternate Facings: If you could render some alternate facings (like top down and some different angles) then the illusion of having rolled the die would be stronger.

2) Alternate Textures. For starters some metal type dice would be slick. Then there are sparkly and swirly dice that people are into.

3) High rez. Need more res for 4k displays. Like 300 dpi.

Would love to add a library of these kinds of dice to my framework and let the players pick their sets. I know they'd really be into it too... switching out "sets" that aren't rolling well for them, etc. ;)
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

One other suggestion... render these is .webp if you can. They will be smaller files and still look great.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

gunnarskeep
Kobold

Post by gunnarskeep »

OK, second attempt.

These are great suggestions, and I will address them as I am able.

See the attached d20 .ZIP file for a sampling of images. I would like some feedback on these before I recreate all the dice images. There are a lot.

Charcoal Dice Images (d20 Only):
Spoiler
d20 Charcoal Composite Image.png
d20 Charcoal Composite Image.png (373.42 KiB) Viewed 5659 times

Full Bleed wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:21 am

Can you render these with a transparent background?
Absolutely! See the sample.

Full Bleed wrote:

Some other suggestions:

1) Alternate Facings: If you could render some alternate facings (like top down and some different angles) then the illusion of having rolled the die would be stronger.
I added a few more angles. This does go a long way to improving the illusion.

Full Bleed wrote:

2) Alternate Textures. For starters some metal type dice would be slick. Then there are sparkly and swirly dice that people are into.
I adjusted some of the finish settings to give it a more metallic look. These will look better with different colors. There is a limitless choice of textures and finishes to apply to the dice, and I do plan on making more.

Full Bleed wrote:

3) High rez. Need more res for 4k displays. Like 300 dpi.
My original files were already rendered at 300 dpi, but at 75 x 75 px and 80 x 80 px. I increased the size to 160 x 160 pixels for these d20 sample images, keeping a 300 dpi resolution.

Full Bleed wrote:

Would love to add a library of these kinds of dice to my framework and let the players pick their sets. I know they'd really be into it too... switching out "sets" that aren't rolling well for them, etc. ;)
I love that idea of giving the players an option to swap out dice that aren't rolling well . . . even virtual dice! That's funny! Even digital dice can't transcend player superstition!

Full Bleed wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:26 am

One other suggestion... render these is .webp if you can. They will be smaller files and still look great.
Easily done. I will do this for all future uploads.

d20 Charcoal - 160x160.zip
(219.25 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
Last edited by gunnarskeep on Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

I think these new dice look great!

I'm going to try and start building my dice selection sheet sometime this week. It's going to be a fun addition. :)

gunnarskeep
Kobold

Post by gunnarskeep »

Here are complete sets (d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20, and d100) of the Red and Charcoal colored dice rendered with a transparent background at 300dpi. The d20 and d12 images are 160px X 160px, while the rest are slightly smaller, at 150px X 150px.

Dice Images - Red and Charcoal, 160x160.zip
(1.32 MiB) Downloaded 39 times

Stay tuned . . . there is more to come! I'll add more colors and provide all images in sizes to accommodate 1080p and 4K resolution (basically smaller and larger images). The larger images are 160px X 160px for the d20 and d12 images and 150px X 150px for the others. The smaller images will be half that size.

Charcoal Dice Images:
Spoiler
Dice Images - Charcoal, 160 x 160.png
Dice Images - Charcoal, 160 x 160.png (1 MiB) Viewed 5484 times

Red Dice Images:
Spoiler
Dice Images - Red, 160 x 160.png
Dice Images - Red, 160 x 160.png (1.29 MiB) Viewed 5484 times
Last edited by gunnarskeep on Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Looking good and looking forward to more sets!

I just completed making a macro that would allow me to add these images to my dice image tables more easily. It's working great except that I am having to rename your image files because they don't sort easily with the current naming structure. Any chance you could, in the future, name the dice in a more sort-friendly way? They just need a 0 to be put in front of the single digit dice values. So "d12-4" needs to be "d12-04".

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

So here is what I've built for my framework so far:

1) I can drop an entire set of dice images on a map, select them, and then I'm prompted for a Set Name. They are then added to the proper dice image table and the image table index is updated so it knows what color dice sets are in the table.
2) Players can choose a personal "Dice Set" from their character sheets (I built this into my Dice Karma system.)
3) And I have a function to lookup a player's dice set selection, and then use it for dice image displays in various places (getDiceImage()). I've only run my tests on my Saving Throw macros at this point but it's working great.

Dice Set Selection.jpg
Dice Set Selection.jpg (60.75 KiB) Viewed 5405 times
Dice - Saving Throw.jpg
Dice - Saving Throw.jpg (39.1 KiB) Viewed 5405 times

Gunnarskeep, just thought you might like to see someone putting your images to work. :)

PS: One very minor cosmetic improvement would be to be mindful of the shadow below some of the dice images. On some dice it appears to extend beyond the image boundary and that creates a visible shadow cut-off line that can shows up against certain backgrounds. A light source with a slightly steeper angle should shorten up the length of the shadow a bit so it more precisely fits in the image frame.

PSS: Maybe put out a pure white set without a shadow? People could use that to overlay a variety of custom textures. It won't look as nice what you're producing because the textures won't be properly applied to each facings (just a flat overlay) but it could still look pretty good.

gunnarskeep
Kobold

Post by gunnarskeep »

That looks fantastic! I do appreciate you sharing, and I am glad to see someone getting use out of these images. That's why I am providing them. I am excited to see more!

Full Bleed wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:36 am
Any chance you could, in the future, name the dice in a more sort-friendly way? They just need a 0 to be put in front of the single digit dice values. So "d12-4" needs to be "d12-04".

No problem on the naming convention; that's an easy one. What you suggest makes perfect sense.

Full Bleed wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:41 pm
PS: One very minor cosmetic improvement would be to be mindful of the shadow below some of the dice images. On some dice it appears to extend beyond the image boundary and that creates a visible shadow cut-off line that can shows up against certain backgrounds. A light source with a slightly steeper angle should shorten up the length of the shadow a bit so it more precisely fits in the image frame.

I looked more closely at the shadowing effects, and I discovered a problem. The deep shadow was not so much a function of the lighting (it's right where I want it), but a result of my dice models sitting too high off of the ground plane. I moved the problem dice down closer to the ground and it reduced the size of the shadow it was casting significantly. So, the results are now much better, and fit within the image frame.

I will re-render all of my current dice this weekend. I want to get this right before venturing forth on new dice sets.

Full Bleed wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:41 pm
PSS: Maybe put out a pure white set without a shadow? People could use that to overlay a variety of custom textures. It won't look as nice what you're producing because the textures won't be properly applied to each facings (just a flat overlay) but it could still look pretty good.

This is an interesting idea. I can certainly provide that. I suspect the numbers should be a very dark color (probably just black) for this to work, so the white numbers don't get lost on the white dice. Anyone savvy enough to manipulate the dice images in this fashion should have no problem changing the number color to whatever they want.

Thank you Full Bleed for all the great feedback and suggestions. These images have come a long way already and look far better than they did when I first started.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

gunnarskeep wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:14 pm
I looked more closely at the shadowing effects, and I discovered a problem. The deep shadow was not so much a function of the lighting (it's right where I want it), but a result of my dice models sitting too high off of the ground plane. I moved the problem dice down closer to the ground and it reduced the size of the shadow it was casting significantly. So, the results are now much better, and fit within the image frame.

I will re-render all of my current dice this weekend. I want to get this right before venturing forth on new dice sets.
Makes sense. It's actually pretty minor, but once I noticed it, it was hard to "un-notice" it and I just thought I'd help you improve future sets. Hate to see you go back an re-render all those dice though... I suspect that's pretty time consuming. I get the desire to perfect it though. ;)

This is an interesting idea. I can certainly provide that. I suspect the numbers should be a very dark color (probably just black) for this to work, so the white numbers don't get lost on the white dice. Anyone savvy enough to manipulate the dice images in this fashion should have no problem changing the number color to whatever they want.
Yeah, black number on a white die would be best... and no shadow (unless it can be placed on a second layer during rendering.) This doesn't have to be a priority, as any sets you produce with textures on render will be superior... but it's nice to give people options.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

gunnarskeep wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:43 pm
Here are complete sets (d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20, and d100) of the Red and Charcoal colored dice rendered with a transparent background at 300dpi. The d20 and d12 images are 160px X 160px, while the rest are slightly smaller, at 150px X 150px.
I hope I'm catching you before the re-renders...

It would be good if all the dice had the same resolutions. When pulling images from tables in MT you have to choose the resolution you wish to display. Having a static resolution will provide more static results.

Also, while the 150-160 pixel images are a *significant* improvement over the default dice images in MT, they aren't exactly 4K ready. You need 4x HD resolution to scale to 4K perfectly.

So when I suggested 300dpi earlier for 4k ready images, what I was really saying was 300x300 pixel images for 4k ready images (provided those base images were around 75x75... which I think your original images were.) Using the term "dpi" was misleading on my part.

So my vote is to see these at 300x300 (or even 400x400) each. MT will scale images down nicer than it scales them up and webp files are pretty small.
Spoiler
die size example.jpg
die size example.jpg (362.23 KiB) Viewed 5226 times
Adding this as an illustration. I've just added a modification to display your die onscreen in an overlay. That is at full size of the current rez (160x160) on an HD screen. I think it looks beautiful! But at 4K, that nice big die image will be 1/4th that size (without up-scaling). To maintain the exact size on a 4K monitor we'd need 640x640. But I'd take 300x300 or 400x400 as a compromise. ;)

EDIT: 4K image added for comparison.
Spoiler
die size 4k example.jpg
die size 4k example.jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 5223 times
EDIT2: This is (probably) my final suggestion. ;) I had to actually start working with the images in MT to get a better sense of them... and as you can see from what I've shown, what you've provided is already quite nice. I really don't want to wear you out with never-ending tweaks and peanut-gallery feedback. So I think it's time to just sit back and let the magic happen. :)

Thanks for putting these together!

gunnarskeep
Kobold

Post by gunnarskeep »

Full Bleed wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:18 pm

I hope I'm catching you before the re-renders . . .

You did catch me before I rendered anything new, so no wasted effort there.

This new upload contains all new renders of the Red and Charcoal dice, at two different sizes: 120px X 120px and 480px X 480px. All images are rendered at 300dpi and saved in .webp format. The sizes are now consistent across all dice images, and I named them so that they sort better (d12-09, d12-10, d12-11, etc.).

Dice Images - Red and Charcoal.zip
(4.48 MiB) Downloaded 43 times

Charcoal Dice Images:
Spoiler
Dice Images - Charcoal.png
Dice Images - Charcoal.png (512.82 KiB) Viewed 5079 times

Red Dice Images:
Spoiler
Dice Images - Red.png
Dice Images - Red.png (535.12 KiB) Viewed 5079 times

I adjusted the height of the dice off of the ground plane which reduced the size of the cast shadow, and these do look much better.

I will start on a metallic turquoise render next, and then maybe a green. I wrote some scripts to automate a lot of this, so it takes far less of my time to create a new set, which is very helpful. The actual render process still takes a good deal of time though, but at least that runs in the background.

Thank you for all the great suggestions! These have really improved over what I originally submitted. Let me know how this new version works out for you.

Return to “User Creations”